Along the railway sidings at Bristol Waterfront.

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Now that the POTY 2013 results are in I would welcome some crit on my entry and a couple of others taken at the same time.
All are HDR using 7 shots in Photomatix Pro.

Nikon D3S
Nikon 14-24 f2.8

#1 My Entry

The Sidings by photogramps, on Flickr

#2 Cross Rails

Cross Rails by photogramps, on Flickr

#3 Low Loader

Low Loader by photogramps, on Flickr

#4 The Crane (Not sure whether the central position spoils it or enhances it)

The Crane by photogramps, on Flickr

Thanks Paul, it's an area I like to be in.

Anyone with any crit to offer please?

Looks like HDR... I know 'urban' is not my cup of tea, but I would still expect the usual stronger foreground interest, leading lines going towards the central part or main subject and normal colours.

I think with No1 its a little confusing, you have the buildings on the left, railway wagons on the right, the orange post and ring in the centre but nothing really grabs my eye.

The 2nd I feel is better with the path acting as a lead in line to the crane and the jib of the crane framing the building across the river. I wonder if cropping the warehouse on the right and a little of the foreground may help

With the crane in No 4 I think it needs to be one side or other,I would probably lose the water and have the crane on the right. :shrug:

Looks like HDR... I know 'urban' is not my cup of tea, but I would still expect the usual stronger foreground interest, leading lines going towards the central part or main subject and normal colours.

Thanks for commenting, of course they are all HDR (that was the project), I take on board your comments about composition.

I think with No1 its a little confusing, you have the buildings on the left, railway wagons on the right, the orange post and ring in the centre but nothing really grabs my eye.

The 2nd I feel is better with the path acting as a lead in line to the crane and the jib of the crane framing the building across the river. I wonder if cropping the warehouse on the right and a little of the foreground may help

With the crane in No 4 I think it needs to be one side or other,I would probably lose the water and have the crane on the right. :shrug:

Good points, I think I often find it difficult to 'form' the picture and tend to think along the lines of "well if that was what was there, then that was what was there!" ... I guess it's the need to bring more of the artist out of the photographer (to quote a recent thread) :)

This treatment has worked well with these shots.........(y)

No.1 for me. Great shot.

Thanks, I couldn't make up my mind between #1 and #2 initially but eventually selected #1.

I'll give my opinion for what it's worth.
In # 1 the railway lines do lead you into the picture! But my eye follows them straight to the horizon! Partly missing the goods truck I think possibly because the goods truck isn't prominent/strong enough on it's own to hold my eye. I would also maybe have considered cropping it a lot tighter, cropping out the buildings on the left and the red upright in the foreground along with the lump of concrete with the 'u' shaped metal thing in it.

#2 again the crossing draws my eye straight across the river to the building on the far side. I am not sure if the crane and the goods truck work well together?.......

#3 I like! I think this is the best of the lot. The tracks and the buildings lead your eye into the picture.

#4 The crane is to central for me! You did pose this question yourself It makes the picture look like a snapshot.

Gramps, I am not trying or intending to offend you with my critique it's just the way i see them!:shrug:
I do however like the way you have used HDR! So many times I look at HDR pictures on the forums and they are badly done. I certainly dont find this is a problem with yours!

Not at all offended Paul and truly welcome your comments, strangely enough I also liked #3 but discounted it mainly due to the distortion.

I have most difficulty with #1 as I see interest in the very things you (and others) appear to see as unnecessary "things" - I can see that the RHS could maybe do with trimming but, for me, the buildings on the left are part of the converging lines, shared with the block path and the railway lines.

I guess I am guilty of standing back a lot, maybe I need to get much closer than I normally do ... keep practicing! :D

Back