Alternative to Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro

raythefab

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there a decent alternative to the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro ive been reading that the sigma is a bit noisy or would you go for the canon thank you...Ray:)

there is the canon 180mm L, i have the sigma 105mm and love it. it is slow autofoicus but i only really use manual

Nothing wrong with the Sigma 105. Not much between them from what I've seen.
Sigma 105 EX DG f2.8
2535605523_a4254a42dd_o.jpg

Tamron 90mm f2.8n Macro and Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro are two options. Slow AF is common amongst macro lenses. there is a distance limiter on the canon that helps when you are not too close to your subject 9not sure if the others have that). Also I liked the fact the canon barrell does not extend when focusing. (the others do).

Also the Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 is a very nice macro lens and Sigma do a 70mm f2.8 Macro.

Big range of very nice lenses (all are very sharp I believe from the various reviews).

I'll vote for the Sigma. Got that, and it's a great lens. (y)

Both tamron 90 and sigma 105 have extending barrel.
With the Canon cashback, better get the canon. The front barrel doesn't extend and its got usm. I originally bought the tamron 90 but I dont like the build quality and extending barrel.

Doesnt the sigma extend when zooming out, potentially scare bugs :)

Yes it does extend but I extend it first then move the camera in to get focus, I don't have trouble with it. The Canon is also a great lens so whatever you go for I reckon you will enjoy and be happy with. I went for the Sigma as it was cheaper than the canon but would have been equally happy with either the Canon 100, Sigma 105 or Tamron 90 to be honest.

Back