Alternatives to Elinchrom Rotagrid

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Hi all - first off, happy holidays!

I was about to buy a Rotagrid for my 100cm Rotalux octabox, but am frankly nonplussed by the price Elinchrom are charging (£158) for something that no doubt costs next to nothing to make. Does anyone know of any more sensibly priced alternatives that'll fit over the front diffuser (there's no recess on Elichrom diffusers, and the velcro is therefore on the outside)?

Why not buy one of the £20ish fabric grids at either 95cm or 120cm size and attach some hook and loops, one per side to make it fit. Its not as though you have to be totally light tight on the 100cm rotagrid and some 90 degree patches either velcrod or preferably sewn once you've seen it work would seem likely to work

It would even be more cost effective to buy the 95cm ilux with the grid and use that when you need a grid.

Fully understand your frustration at what appears to be blatant gouging once they've got you invested in a system

Why not buy one of the £20ish fabric grids at either 95cm or 120cm size and attach some hook and loops, one per side to make it fit. Its not as though you have to be totally light tight on the 100cm rotagrid and some 90 degree patches either velcrod or preferably sewn once you've seen it work would seem likely to work

It would even be more cost effective to buy the 95cm ilux with the grid and use that when you need a grid.

Fully understand your frustration at what appears to be blatant gouging once they've got you invested in a system
Thanks for both of those suggestions, which would work in a technical sense. However, having bought into the Rotalux ecosystem (at some cost) it would be counter-productive to then introduce other brands of softbox; I also wouldn't want to mix & match diffusers as they have their own characteristics from brand to brand. Even having to mess about making a fit for the grid would bother me, and probably wouldn't give me the ability to instantly and seamlessly make changes in front of clients.

Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one :mad:

Last edited:
Hi all - first off, happy holidays!

I was about to buy a Rotagrid for my 100cm Rotalux octabox, but am frankly nonplussed by the price Elinchrom are charging (£158) for something that no doubt costs next to nothing to make. Does anyone know of any more sensibly priced alternatives that'll fit over the front diffuser (there's no recess on Elichrom diffusers, and the velcro is therefore on the outside)?

It it's any consolation, that's much cheaper than they used to be.

Back