Am I being daft?

Name
Richard Chiswell
Edit My Images
Yes
I've taken pictures for years and years. About 9 years ago I bought a Nikon Coolpix 990 (3.34 Mega). I enjoy using photoshop CS4 but wish I had more data to play with especially RAW files.

I have been left some money and am considering buying a Canon 5d Mark II with a 24-105mm lens. It seems to have pretty well everything I'd like (great resolution, fast startup, burst speed, ISO ranges and noise reduction etc etc. I'd also very much enjoy the video mode. In general the reviews are very positive.

It would be good to get to know one camera and not feel underpowered. My question is, would I be daft to spend so much on a camera. There are others I've considered e.g. a Nikon D90 but now I think I've set my heart on the Canon?

Thoughts or advice from more level headed individuals could be really helpful. Thanks, Richard

First off, :wave: welcome to the Forum.

About your question ... you're asking the wrong question to the wrong bunch of people! Here, you'll find mostly "daft" people who've spent "daft" amount of money on camera gear :LOL:, and who'll only recommend that you spend more money :p

Wail hi and thanks for your reply.

If that was the wrong question to the wrong people then a) who are the right people to ask and / or b) what is the right question to ask this bunch?

Cheers, Richard.

Hi Richard
Welcome to TP

If you feel you are going to benefit from a 5D MkII and use it regularly then it is a good idea, if it is going to sit in the cupboard maybe not :D You state you will then have "pretty much all you want" - unfortunately this is unlikely to be the case. You will find you want that extra bit of reach, or a wider angle, or some extra light, something to put the camera on to hold it steady, something to carry it around in. Be aware that you are treading an expensive path once you start on the DSLR route :)

Hi Richard... and welcome from me too!

Have you handled any of the cameras you've considered? Different manufacturers suit different people and it's worth spending some time in a shop handling the different brands to see what feels right to you. Once you have settled on a manufacturer you are pretty much locked into that brand unless you ditch all your lenses and accessories at a future date, so it's worth taking the time to get it right at the start.

Is it daft to spend so much on a camera? Maybe not... but it might be more sensible to start with a lower end camera and keep a pot of cash for the lenses you are going to lust after. If you get bored after a few months, lenses will get you a lot more of your money back than a body!

Welcome to the forum,

Is the difficulty you are having around not buying the right kit or connected with where the money has come from?

You state that you have been left the money, is it perhaps you are connecting the individual from whom the money came from and the new purchase.

Psychologists sometimes call this cognitive dissonance; therapists refer to it as unresolved grief.

Kerioak hi,

I don't see the kit going into a cupboard at all. My present camera is out on the side so it can be used at a moment's notice. Yes, I realise I need some extra gear (apart from bextra batteries, memory cards and a good bag) a speedlight is on my list and probably a wide angle.

Flashman, I have handled both cameras, the Nikon is a good deal lighter but I really prefer the Canon (and may well go for a battery grip).

Holden, How very perceptive of you. The money is from my mother who was an avid photographer for very many years. Apart from really looking forward to the new gear, I keep thinking 'she'd be pleased with the decision'. - now that's probably really daft.

Many thanks to you all for your advice and thoughts. Richard

RJ, I would suggest first of all finding a camera which you like the feel of and are happy with the layout and controls of. I'm with flashman on this, I would recommend going for the cheaper body that meets this and spend more on really good lenses while you have the money to. The Nikon D90 and D300 are superb with ISO ranges and noise too.

I've taken pictures for years and years. About 9 years ago I bought a Nikon Coolpix 990 (3.34 Mega). I enjoy using photoshop CS4 but wish I had more data to play with especially RAW files.

I have been left some money and am considering buying a Canon 5d Mark II with a 24-105mm lens. It seems to have pretty well everything I'd like (great resolution, fast startup, burst speed, ISO ranges and noise reduction etc etc. I'd also very much enjoy the video mode. In general the reviews are very positive.

It would be good to get to know one camera and not feel underpowered. My question is, would I be daft to spend so much on a camera. There are others I've considered e.g. a Nikon D90 but now I think I've set my heart on the Canon?

Thoughts or advice from more level headed individuals could be really helpful. Thanks, Richard

Hi Richard and a warm welcome from me also.

As regards the amount of money involved, believe me to many on here the amount you're talking about is a mere drop in the ocean. Obviously you're prepared to spend whatever the going rate is for the 5DMkII kit so I think what you should really be addressing is whether the 5DMkII is the best option for your particular needs. The 5DMkII is a full frame camera and it's that as much as anything which dictates the price it commands, but do you really need a full frame camera? If your photography is geared more to sport, action or bird/wildlife photography you may be better off looking at one of the various crop body cameras available (regardless of make) and spending the money you save on additional lenses which could help you achieve your type of photography.

Defiance hi, Hmm, I do like the Canon but the Nikon D90 would leave a good deal more for extra glass etc. I'm pretty sure my choice will be between these two. While the Canon 5D is heavier I think I do prefer the feel of it and the menus etc. I think I'll put off the decision for a few days and try handling them both again.

Thanks, Richard

Or buy a used 5D. You will get what is still really good performance for a fraction of the cost. I regularly shoot at ISO1600 with mine and the performance at that level is good enough to print without having to use noise reducing software. That way you can add another very nice lens to your collection.

As for the source of funding I think it's a great idea. I was widowed at 40 and there are some items I kept and some items that I purchased that remind me of my late husband. They actually bring me comfort and I can smile when I use them knowing that he would have loved to see the joy I get from them.

The fact that your Mother would have loved to see you using it should make you smile and help you to hold onto that memory. So you go for it and good luck :)

So much depends on what sort of photography you want to do as to whether or not a full frame camera is your ideal choice. Without going into all the technical aspects, full frame is great for portraits, weddings, landscape, studio work, while a crop sensor has advantages for sport and wildlife photography, or any situation where you need maximum reach from long lenses. The ideal camera for all situations hasn't been made.

Having said that, the 5DMK2 with it's enormous pixel count, would be a damned good all rounder, as even for wildlife photography it will be the equal (allowing for significant cropping) of the Canon 40D for rendering fine resolution in your shots of small birds and critters.. The only thing it lacks is the uber fast autofocus system of a 1DSMK3, which will cost you twice as much.

If your heart is set on it then just do it - I can't see you regretting it for one minute, and the money is likely to be a drop in the ocean compared to what you'll ultimately spend if you really get the bug. ;)

Vibrantcolour, AliB, Thanks for your thoughts.

AliB, Am interested in your comment re. noise reducing software: were you referring to Canon PC/Mac desktop software or in-camera noise reduction options. Whilst these may not be necessary at ISO 1600, have you any experience of using higher ISOs for darker scenes?

Cheers, Richard

Remember, of course, that if you're comparing a Nikon D90 to a Canon 5D Mk2 then you're not comparing like with like... a Nikon D700 would be closer to the Canon. Or wait for the anticipated Nikon D400...

Vibrantcolour, AliB, Thanks for your thoughts.

AliB, Am interested in your comment re. noise reducing software: were you referring to Canon PC/Mac desktop software or in-camera noise reduction options. Whilst these may not be necessary at ISO 1600, have you any experience of using higher ISOs for darker scenes?

Cheers, Richard

Most people will use specific noise reducing software if it's needed, something like noise ninja.

As for darker pics at high ISO (1250)I took these last week on the 5D shot in JPEG and totally unprocessed so these are downloaded straight from the camera. (No1 was on a 1DsII)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=107322

Hope that helps .

Flashman hi,

Thanks for pointing out the 'like for like' thing. I haven't really considered the D700 - will put it into the equation vs the 5DII.

Regards, Richard

AliB hi again,

Yes, Scott Kelby was singing the praises of noise ninja - I'll take another look at it.

Impressive pics of yours.

Thanks, Richard

Gofer / Steve hi,

My particular interest is for landscapes and archeology though of course there are going to be a good few family group and portrait shots. From my initial research I think a full frame is probably going to be best for me.

Regards, Richard

Hi and welcome,
Brilliant camera and a V good lens-----------Terrific combo.Watch out for the size of files though and make sure to get a top quality high capacity memory card.
Pete.

Pete hi,

Thanks for the reassurance.

Re. memory cards I am thinking of going for 16Gig cards. They are a good deal cheaper than the larger (32Gb) ones and should give a reasonable amount of space even for video clips.

Canon advise any card that has 8Mb per second should be okay but I've seen some Sandisk which claim 30Mb and think they should be better certainly in terms of flushing the buffer to card for burst shooting.

Cheers, Richard

I'm sorry for your loss.

With regard to the equipment I don't know what you budget is but if you are serious about this as a new hobby then spend more on glass rather than bodies.

You can keep the lenses but at some point you will want to update the body.

RE memory cards they do not fail often but if it does would you rather lose 4GB of images or 16GB? I know what I would pick.

PsiFox hi, thanks for your thoughts.

I take your comment about glass vs body - I'm keeping a good reserve for glass later. My reason for the larger memory cards would be to facilitate video (12 mins HD video = 4Gb).

Cheers, Richard

Don't rule out some of the crop cameras either - the 40D will still resolve massed more detail than you coolpix

RE memory cards they do not fail often but if it does would you rather lose 4GB of images or 16GB? I know what I would pick.

Thats ok on my 40D but I would want something larger with the 21mps resolution of the 5D mk11.Just my opinion.
Pete.

Back