Amazon fake memory cards

Name
Tommy
Edit My Images
No
Last week a ProGrade v90 card I had for a while bit the dust. This is the second one of these that seemed to me to bite the dust early.. So while I have a ton of other cards I though I would replace it with a Sony tough card instead. Have quite a few of these and never really had any issues with them.

Nipped on to Amazon ordered a Sony tough card, when received checked it was working okay and nipped of to a wedding the next day, When ordering on Amazon I know there is a lot of fake stuff on there so I am always careful when ordering anything photo related from there to only buy when its sold and dispatched from Amazon.

Got back from the wedding and imported all the images from the cards and realised that the new card was only transferring at around 80mbs when it should have been way over 200mbs based on the other Sony tough cards I have, At first I thought there was maybe a fault with the card but when it was sitting next to another tough card I noticed that the yellow colour on the card wasn't an exact match. In the meantime I got in touch with Amazon although they refused to take the card back as counterfeit even though by this stage I had got confirmation from Sony that it was. Amazon did agree to taking it back as faulty in the end.

Seems this can happen sometimes when I asked around, I just always assumed that when people said they had received fake cards from Amazon that they had ordered from a third party seller, but apparently sometimes third party stock held by Amazon gets mixed in with their own stock. Have a replacement coming from Amazon today but will be careful testing it this time to ensure it's not another fake The card was a very good fake virtuously indistinguishable from a real one. Even had the star on the back of the card to indicate that it was from the newer batch (Sony did this after there was an issue with some older versions of this card).The packaging was exactly the same as a real one when I checked it against a box from another one of these I had purchased previously.

Just thought I would mention it in to make people aware that even if you are buying cards from Amazon direct to be sure to check it carefully.

A little disappointed that Amazon wouldn't accept that it was counterfeit even though I was able to send them screen grabs of the emails from Sony confirming it was. Seems bizarre they wouldnlt return it for this reason and would only accept a return as faulty.

Thank you for the heads up.

Glad Amazon took it back and I can understand they don't want to have 'counterfeit' as a reason why a product was returned; bad look for them.

I've been using Kingston cards for a while and taken to buying directly from Kingston direct or its nominated dealer, Insight.

Cards perform as expected and I feel much more confident I am getting the real deal.

Sadly, Amazon's previously brilliant customer service is starting a steep descent down the proverbial slippery slope. :(

I'm glad they at least accepted it back in the end . . .

Replacement card arrived, have tested and all looks good.

Date on the box of the fake card was Dec 2022, Replacement is Feb 2023.

Last edited:
Back