North England Ambleside

Gary Coyle

In Memoriam
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Need some locations in and around Ambleside to shoot over spring bank holiday 23rd-26th May, you just need to bear in mind im not very fit so steep climbs are out, i will be doing Blea Tarn and possibly up Lingmoor Fell and onto Side Pike (is this do able) but need a couple of other locations, anything for a little fat guy whose not too fit, dont mind getting up high if its not too steep an ascent.

Last edited:
The path round Loughrigg Fell. Easy and with nice lake viewpoints and a "cave" for something a bit unusual.

Two others slightly steeper are Helm Crag (interesting rocks at the top) and Low Pike / High Pike (as far as you want to go).

Wansfell Pike is close but a bit boring.

Bear in mind on a Bank Holiday anything near Ambleside will be very busy.
Cheers
Steve
PS Just a bit up the road the Langdale valley is great if you get some sun. Park by the slate works near Skelwith Bridge for waterfalls and a flat river walk to the pub.

Thanks Steve, was actually thinking about going the weekend before now as a few folk have said BH weekend will be very busy.

Tarn hows is a nice little walk. Also food wise, check out a little bistro called Matthews Bistro, you would need to book early. The food is amazing.

Take your car out of Ambleside and drive along the the A593 near Skelwith Bridge up to Hardknock Pass, drive to the top you'll have some stunning views and not too much walking

Les ;)

Gary beautiful area
here is Loughrigg from Grasmere Lake
DPP_lough0005-L.jpg

and this is the top of Loughrigg looking North back to where the boats are top left of Lake
both taken about 8yrs ago
DPP_lough0002-X2.jpg

If you're in the Great Langdale area, for me the most stunning view is on the Band heading up Bowfell, the view of Pike o stickle and the other pikes is simply outstanding, very memorable. If you go further up, head across the climbers traverse for some amazing views of the langdale valley too.

As said above Loughrigg Terrace is another gem for views of Grasmere and Rydal water, this area is so photogenic you could spend hours. Love to see the random mist suspended in the air, adds so much atmosphere to the shots. I love the lakes, wish I could live there. Look forward to seeing your shots :)

Hi Gary, I hope you enjoy your trip. Ambleside is not a bad area of operation. Just be aware that where ever you go parking may be your biggest problem, so try to plan ahead. The opposite end of Grasmere accessed via White Moss car park may be worthwhile if there is little wind.

Grasmere from White Moss.
by Philip Dalglish Photography, on Flickr

If you go to Blea Tarn, go through the gate across from the entrance to the car park to get the usual views, and if you carry on along the main path you will cross a small outlet from the Tarn. Cross the bridge, and on your left is a gate leading to a nice walk with good potential.

Pretty beck near Blea Tarn
by Philip Dalglish Photography, on Flickr

I hope this helps a little,

Philip

Last edited:
Are you planning on going to the top of loughrigg or are you going to walk the terrace, some great areas to shoot up langdale valley, you need to pull off the road and get onto the path that runs along the floor of the valley, to get the craggs in and the buildings on the hillside offer variety, elterwater, skelwith falls all on the same route and from here you can head up to coniston and or tarn howe, waters edge at ambleside and the park behind it can be good for sunset or early morning mist if you get those conditions.
So much choice, hope you get good weather.

Last edited:
The path round Loughrigg Fell. Easy and with nice lake viewpoints and a "cave" for something a bit unusual.

Two others slightly steeper are Helm Crag (interesting rocks at the top) and Low Pike / High Pike (as far as you want to go).

Wansfell Pike is close but a bit boring.

Bear in mind on a Bank Holiday anything near Ambleside will be very busy.
Cheers
Steve
PS Just a bit up the road the Langdale valley is great if you get some sun. Park by the slate works near Skelwith Bridge for waterfalls and a flat river walk to the pub.
One more vote for loughrigg... Elterwater is nice, good views back across the water.... Stock ghyll force is nice walk... Nabbed a waterfall shot there for my L with a tripod.... Hope that helps. Jumped in before I finished reading so sorry if I've been repetitive.

Last edited:
Back