An angry pussy. (third image added)

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
This cat was not happy about having it's lunch interrupted by these buffalo and the deep rumbling coming from her was spine chilling, the eyes give you some idea of her mood. The buffalo as tough as they are decided to give her space and trotted away at a smart pace. Taken Mana Pools NP Zimbabwe.

Canon 5DIII + EF400mm DO mkI with 1.4x converter. F8 1/125 ISO800 Hand held.
22209085714_e593723d2c_b.jpg

"ShElanded at my feet, honestly, ossifer!"

I dunno, Andy - you take more holidays than we do!

Nice shot. You really can see the anger in her eyes!! Need to get myself to Zimbabwe sometime...though think my next trip will be the Okavango.

Went to Kgalagadi Transfrontier park a few years ago and that was all in vehicle, you drive yourself around but can't get out of the car or you may be evicted from the park. We were literally about 1m from a pack of lions (they were at rest so didn't care about us), doubt you could do that on a walking one! Does sound intriguing though, didn't know you could do walking ones! How do you stay safe?

We booked to have a private guide and the Zim Guides are rated as the best in the world, it's about a six year training course and very few make the grade. They are of course armed but that's more for window dressing as it's their knowledge that really keeps you safe. When you've stood 30 foot away from a pride on a kill you will never want to go in a vehicle again.

22209122144_7af8896788_b.jpg

I've always fancied the Okavango as well but after doing a walking safari I don't think I could get the same out of a vehicle based trip.
You would be surprised at what you can get out of a vehicle based safari. For me it's all about getting as low as possible in the 4x4. It also comes done to the guide. A guide who is a photographer is worth their weight in gold as they know how and where to position the vehicle.

You would be surprised at what you can get out of a vehicle based safari. For me it's all about getting as low as possible in the 4x4. It also comes done to the guide. A guide who is a photographer is worth their weight in gold as they know how and where to position the vehicle.

Hi Chris, I agree that you can get some great sightings and images from a vehicle, in fact probably better on than on foot as the animals can be very skittish if you're walking. But the point I was making is the experience of being out in the open when it's all happening, it really makes the scalp crawl. I certainly felt the difference but then again we're all different and it may not affect you the same.

That quartet of lionesses on the zebra look ribby enough to fancy some tender white meat for afters... Far rather you than me, Andy! Less of the "we" oldies - you've got several years on me, I'm only 52!

WOW, I didn’t realise you could do a walk safari that has to be such an experience and a bit scary.

Wow what great captures and a definite serious look in the eyes of the 1st cat...

Looks like a great time :)

Last edited:
Bet you a dollar, behind the camera is a large rifle, just in case Mrs Lion wants a pudding..

Brave shot, hope you did not trip up on the elephant poo near your feet.

:):):)

WOW, I didn’t realise you could do a walk safari that has to be such an experience and a bit scary.

Hi Trev, yes you can do them although I would advise that you have a guide with you at least the first time you go. It's not only things like the lions that you you get to see when walking it's the whole experience of tracking and listening to things around you that you miss when in a vehicle.

Back