An Attempt at Photographing Football! + some advice wanted

Name
Chris Green
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello!

Here are a few photo's that I took during the Ledbury Town vs Hereford United Last night.

The match kicked off at 7:30. After about 8 ish, the light level dropped, giving me a bit of a problem.

All of these were taken at ISO 400. Should I have changed this? I used Aperture priority for most of these too, and selected the lowest aperture available on the lens. this varied between F4 and F5.6.

If anyone has any advice to offer, I'd be grateful.

Cheers.

IMG_1576002.jpg

IMG_1749007.jpg

IMG_1603005.jpg

IMG_1602004.jpg

IMG_1622006.jpg

IMG_1598003.jpg

IMG_1567001.jpg

Hi there

I'm no expert, but I would have used TV instead of AV, and set the shutter to 1/500 or faster.

There's too much movement blur, and I think this would have helped.

ISO 400 sounds about right

Exposure possibly 1 stop higher to compensate?

Again I'm no expert so I might be talking out of my arse...sorry if I'm wrong

Mark

:agree:..........but with the poor light it is hard to get the exposure and movement right....

Cheers for the advice guys.

A lot of these were taken at 1/400, but some were as low as 1/125

A bit later in the match, I started using Tv, but I needed a shutter speed of around 1/125 ish. I guess I left it too late in the evening for that.

I should have considered playing with the exposure too, don't know why I didn't. I seem to get into a groove of taking loads of photo's, and not changing any settings at all!

Cheers for the advice guys.

A lot of these were taken at 1/400, but some were as low as 1/125

A bit later in the match, I started using Tv, but I needed a shutter speed of around 1/125 ish. I guess I left it too late in the evening for that.

I should have considered playing with the exposure too, don't know why I didn't. I seem to get into a groove of taking loads of photo's, and not changing any settings at all!

Lol, that's my problem. I seem to forget the camera has settings that need changing, and it's only until they're on the monitor that it dawns on me..

Try underexposing by 1 or 2 stops..........shoot RAW and pull the exposure back in your RAW converter.........I do this and leave the camera in AV mode set at F3.2 or F4.0 and then let the camera do the rest.........best of luck.....take lots of photos......and practice!!!

As a proffesional sports photographer i shoot football on a regular basis, set a 5.6 aperture in AV, push the iso until your achieving 800th sec or faster, then make sure your framing isnt cutting any limbs off and everything is in focus, try to move around to get the footballers facing you, if they're facing away get the defenders going in for the tackle but 90% of the time as rule of thumb dont shoot the back of players.

That's great. Thanks guys. I edon't know when I'll get chance to shoot a footy match again, but when I do, I'll try a few other things.

Cableliquid, you've spelt "photography" wrong in your sig.

TV or AV, i believe that people shouldn't use that unless necessary. M (manual) is very useful and you'll learn a lot from manual :) low F/ and HIGH shutter speed then it'll work well. if under exposed, go to 800 iso, better not use 1600 or otherwise you'd just cause a lot of noise! :)

Hi Chris, unfortunately without a fast f stop any evening game is going to be a struggle!, Upping the ISO will improve the shutter speed but the lay off is noise :(, with a limited f number (ie f4 upwards), I usually shoot AP wide open and alter the ISO (within reason) to keep a useable shutter speed, (min 8ooth). Any offensive noise, (as long as the shot hasn't been cropped too much) can be reduced in noise reduction softwear such as "Noise Ninja". I have had light get so bad even using 2.8 that "really needing the shots"!, i've set the camera to manual set 1/400th f2.8, & disrigarded exposure!. I then "pulled" shots back in photoshop, (only really usable on close focused subjects), as any cropping increases the noise considerably. Kind regards Graham.

As a proffesional sports photographer i shoot football on a regular basis, set a 5.6 aperture in AV, push the iso until your achieving 800th sec or faster, then make sure your framing isnt cutting any limbs off and everything is in focus, try to move around to get the footballers facing you, if they're facing away get the defenders going in for the tackle but 90% of the time as rule of thumb dont shoot the back of players.

Thats some sound advice, but I would add that once you've got the hang of it you could drop to 500th.
I would also say try a lower shooting position, and watch your horizons as alot of pitches have rails around them.
Have fun
Shaun

A couple of tips which I hope will help you. My first post on the site :)

Don't be afraid to up the ISO to the limit. I regularly shoot at ISO 400 in good/slightly overcast daylight when shooting football. Sharp but with a bit of noise is far better than soft/blurred. A properly exposed high ISO image will have surprisingly little noise in the main subject area even at ISO 1600.

eg. a night match from last season

p191007317.jpg

taken at 1/320 at 300mm f2.8 at ISO 3200

When setting up look at sun/light direction and wind direction. Try to get the wind behind you (tip: check the corner flags). Avoid shooting directly into the wind as dust (if it is dry) and water (if it is wet) will quickly get onto the lens front element. Get the light behind you or at least offset by 45 degrees. This will ensure the players faces are not in shadow.

Try to pick positions with interesting backgrounds or at least backgrounds that will not interfere or detract from the image.

Don't try to get all the action. Get the action which fills the frame at the focal lengths you are using. In the 90 minutes of a game there will be plenty that will come your way.

Use manual exposure and meter off the grass and then adjust to taste. If the light is changing strongly (sunny day with clouds passing in front of the sun) then go to AV mode. Save TV for waterfalls :)

For day time matches aim for 1/1000 plus for shutter speed and lens wide open minus a half to a full stop (eg. if using a f2.8 lens then set it to f3.2 or f4). For evening you want the lens wide open (ie. f2.8 if it supports it) and up the ISO until you are getting a shutter speed at least equivalent to the reciprocal of the lens focal length ie. if using a 200mm lens then you want at least 1/200 as a shutter speed. Ideally get at least double the minimum shutter speed.

Use centre point focus and AI Servo (or your cameras equivalent). On the 20D you are using you can assign the * key to act as a focus lock button. This allows you to focus and hold focus for events such as free kicks and penalties.

For daytime matches shoot large fine jpeg and auto white balance. Same for evening matches but use a custom white balance. Raw has its place and uses but if you are going to select 100 shots from between 800 and 1500 shots four times a week and then edit the selections you will quickly save raw for team shots and presentations.

Football is about timing. Once you get a feel for how far a goalie kicks then you will be anticipating where the ball is likely to go and will be able to get the headers, contacts etc.

I rarely shoot bursts of shots even though I have the camera set to its max fps. I rely on timing and will generally shoot one frame and very occasionally two frames.

Watch the horizons. It will save you a lot of time in post processing if you keep the horizons level.

Use portrait mode as a general preference and switch to landscape mode as necessary eg. when trying to get a goal area shot.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Save TV for waterfalls :)

LOL

John? Are you a Christchurch regular home and away? Done a few wessex games, mainly ASSC and VT as there local ish to me. Going off topic but have you had any problems with refs and linesmen about photographing?

Shaun

Hi Shaun

I'm the club photographer at Christchurch and cover mainly Wessex league but also the ladies and youth teams when i get a chance. I try to get to the away matches whenever I can. Next time I'm going to Hamble or VT I'll drop you a PM or give me a call/PM if you fancy visiting Christchurch or if Christchurch is playing in your neck of the woods.

I've had no problems with linesmen or refs. I tend to stay crowd side of the barriers until the game is over as sitting in front of the barriers does seem to get them going :) The rules don't allow anybody other than players officials etc. pitch side of the barriers but I have seen a couple of togs try it on and get a little word from the ref. If there are photo ops before a match (cup final celeb/patron hand shaking with the teams etc) I will ask the ref if I can come on the pitch when the ref and linesmen are warming up.

I also try to position myself opposite the side the linesman is running which avoids the linesman being between myself and the field. I sense from the question you may have had issues??

John

sitting in front of the barriers does seem to get them going :) The rules don't allow anybody other than players officials etc. pitch side of the barriers but I have seen a couple of togs try it on and get a little word from the ref.

Had shot a couple of matches, and then a couple of weeks later just before half time was ask to move back behind the barrier by the linesman, turns out they were being assessed! Did as I was told, after asking why.... Told to speak to them after the game. When we went in the bar afeterwards had a good chat with the the officials, mentioned why I was there and that my pli I have to cover the motoracing is more than enough to get me in at league level (had the certificate with me) etc etc. That I'd shot at Conference level, British Gas etc and never had a problem and they told me that it's wessex rules, player and officals only pitch side. Now if the match had been an FA cup tie between the two sides I would have been fine, strange league the wessex!
Just wondering if you had the same issue's, sounds like you behave yourself to much..........ha ha
Not sure what I'll be up to this year, but I'll keep an eye on the fixtures and I'm sure we can meet up somewhere.

Shaun

I've been to Ledbury's ground, pic 3 shows that you were stood on that slightly raised bit along the side of the pitch, you need to make subtle adjustments to backgrounds when you're at an angle like that.

Hi Shaun

I'm the club photographer at Christchurch and cover mainly Wessex league but also the ladies and youth teams when i get a chance. I try to get to the away matches whenever I can. Next time I'm going to Hamble or VT I'll drop you a PM or give me a call/PM if you fancy visiting Christchurch or if Christchurch is playing in your neck of the woods.

I've had no problems with linesmen or refs. I tend to stay crowd side of the barriers until the game is over as sitting in front of the barriers does seem to get them going :) The rules don't allow anybody other than players officials etc. pitch side of the barriers but I have seen a couple of togs try it on and get a little word from the ref. If there are photo ops before a match (cup final celeb/patron hand shaking with the teams etc) I will ask the ref if I can come on the pitch when the ref and linesmen are warming up.

I also try to position myself opposite the side the linesman is running which avoids the linesman being between myself and the field. I sense from the question you may have had issues??

John
Christchurch. Aargh. the memories!

Hi Shaun

John
Christchurch. Aargh. the memories!

persnaly id have the shutter speed at 1/640 iso 100-200 on a nice sunny day shot in j-peg as you will fot more on your memory card. if its a sport you know well then try to be one step ahead with the camera set up read to take a photo of that takle, goal, foul, etc.

I went to watch another match yesterday, Hereford vs Birmingham 11.

I started taking some photo's during the pre-match warm-up. At the Hereford United ground, you can stand directly behind the goal at one end, at pitch level. The sun was high in the sky too, so it was ideal for photo's.

Everything was going ok, until some security / steward guy informed me that I was not allowed to take photo's without prior consent of the club. So, I put the camera away. I doubt anything would have been said if i was using a compact, but never mind.

I managed to take this one.

800IMG_2905.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to take this one. Its much easier to get a decent shot if the lighting is good!

Dunno if its my monitor or not but thats a poor shot in that I can't see the players facial features at all.. just a blank area. Are you posting it as a good shot or to show better lighting would be a good shot ?

Yes, I agree, its not a good shot really. I just wish I could have taken some more photo's, as the conditions were great.

Dunno if its my monitor or not but thats a poor shot in that I can't see the players facial features at all.. just a blank area. Are you posting it as a good shot or to show better lighting would be a good shot ?
I find it really frustrating with black players. I'm not good enough that I change settings to quickly to enhance the subject so I end up getting a good number of shots like these, especially with the sun behind the player or when they're on a part of the pitch that is in the shadows.

Do you do anything to counter this problem Kipax or do you just bin them?

Surely the detail in his face is recoverable with a quick levels/curves adjustment? I can make out most of his features on this (calibrated) monitor, it's not a million miles away from a perfect exposure--especially given that it's a black guy in a white t-shirt which isn't the nicest thing for an automatic meter to figure out.

Surely the detail in his face is recoverable with a quick levels/curves adjustment? I can make out most of his features on this (calibrated) monitor, it's not a million miles away from a perfect exposure--especially given that it's a black guy in a white t-shirt which isn't the nicest thing for an automatic meter to figure out.

Hi Rob. How would I adjust the curves in this particular case? I've had a go and amending the levels, but I'm struggling TBH. I'm using photoshop Elements. I'm not even sure if I can adjust curves on there?

Same here.. never got the hang of curves.. HIGHLIGHT/SHADOW in photoshop does an excelent job of bringing out the features on dark skin without messing up the light skin subjects.

However right lighting and exposure and it is possible to get it right in camera... for me that consists of a bit of luck as well :)

Hi Rob. How would I adjust the curves in this particular case? I've had a go and amending the levels, but I'm struggling TBH. I'm using photoshop Elements. I'm not even sure if I can adjust curves on there?

On regular Photoshop it's Image -> Adjustments -> Curves, I would presume that Elements has it since it's really basic and fundamental.

I was going to explain curves, but I'll end up doing a hopeless job of it so here are some good links:

http://www.mediachance.com/pseam/help/curves.html
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/photoshop-curves.htm

It's absolutely worth taking the time to learn, it's the most powerful and flexible way to adjust tone.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can adjust curves on my version of Photoshop Elements.

Never mind.

As others have said they are rather soft which is prpbably due to a slow shutter speed,I have been doing amateur football for about 4 years and I never bother once I cannot get at least 1400th of a second

photo

If you want a glance at some other shots they can be found here
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/wordsleyboy/OldWulfsFCSeason20072008

Hi Chris, I've got elements so I had a quick play to see what I could pull out of it. This was the best I could get with a quick fiddle :-

cgreen.jpg

If you have it in RAW format you should be able to do much better :)

Back