..and now for something completely different - from 1920's Margate

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been spending sometime recently scanning on to the hard drive some old photos of Mr LL's family. As an East End Jewish family, they spent their holidays in Margate. These are from the 1920's, featuring both my OH's father and grandparents. I have sharpened them a little and removed the worst of the age spots, dust etc and added the border, though i am not sure the borders work as they are so brightly white, so c&c welcome. I thought I would share these as I thought they were just lovely images of 1920's holidays before most people in Britain had discovered beach holidays on Majorca ;)

#1 - paddling

paddling.jpg

#2 - beach belles

glamourousladies.jpg

#3 - Walking with grandmother, a very 'stately' lady

grandmother.jpg

Last edited:
The last shot is great, I live in the now, pretty average Margate. From what i have seen it looked considerably better 100 years ago!

Margate was my family holiday destination for many years - and in the sixties I absolutely loved the place ( for a 9/10/11 year old it was great). These are lovely and evocative images of a time well past. Love to see some more if you have them Yvonne.

Last edited:
Glad you like them, the last one is my OH's Father and great grandmother - a real old battleaxe by all accounts :D

The irony is that early last year, MR LL's cousin [another descendant of this lot] bought two holiday flats in Margate by the Winter Gardens, and then spent a fortune buying exactly this kind of postcard size print off ebay to frame and hang on the walls - in June we found this box of pictures in our loft! :bonk:

Edit:John, got hundreads of them, though many are tiny. For me the interesting ones are like these, that show something of life, rather than the formal portrait style, which there are also a lot of, but as I scan more on will post any that might be interesting ;)

Last edited:
love number three real victorain Lady. almost dont mess with me!!

I love old photos. How we used to live etc, they are great scans.

How wonderful LL. A joy to see these... thanks for sharing, athough....... that front lady in No.2 has got her ipod on! :D

OOh! I missed these!

Absolutely gorgeous pics, LL! (y)
I like each of them, but as above the 3rd is my favourite.

Oh! and when did you last see so many covered-up bodies at the seaside ... bring back the male bathing suit, I say! :LOL:

I never get tired of looking at pictures like this!

My great aunt recently died and my grandmother and aunt had the job of sorting everything out at her house. Every time I visit they have more picture to show me like these! Looks like you've done a great job too!

fantastic insight into post war life! Its weird how even their fun 'candid' shots are in a way formalised, with family all lined up in the sea!

is that angus young third from right in the first one ?

Not sure if this is a problem with your scanner... but these images are sending my eyes funny.

Enlargement...

bin.jpg

Back