Another camera recommendation thread

Edit My Images
No
I'm quite happy with my selection of 35mm and medium format film cameras (Nikon F4 and Mamiya 645 in particular), but have yet to find a digital camera I've bonded with.
I've tried a few Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 cameras; and a few Nikon and Canon aps-c DSLRs. Have zero problems with the IQ from any of them, but find I'm missing a few things in comparison to my film cameras.

Number 1 is the viewfinder. Consumer digital insists on tiny viewfinders, and I notice the difference when jumping back to the big, bright viewfinders on my film cameras.
Number 2 is the ability to shoot with a narrow depth of field without shooting on telephoto and/or expensive lenses.
Number 3 is usability (a subjective one this), something the Olympus cameras in particular are bad for.

I'm also on a budget and can probably stretch to £500 for a body second hand. Choice appears to be a choice of one - Sony A7 mk1. Anything else I should be considering ?
Mostly shoot urban landscapes and some street.

Last edited:
Presuming that you already have Nikon lenses for the F4, a Nikon D700 body in excellent order would fit your budget ... a bit vintage but still very capable.

Or how about a Fuji X100S?

I don't know about bonding as it's a camera not a partner or a dog so surely it's just a matter of time to become adjusted and familiar with unfamiliar handling and controls?

VF wise I'm not too sure what cameras have 100% VF's, does the Canon 5D range or as droj says, a Nikon D700? Other than DSLR's and the A7 the only other digital camera I've had with what I'd say was an excellent EVF was the Panasonic G7 and based on that I'd expect any of the subsequent Panasonic Gx cameras to have excellent EVF's too. I'm sure I've read that the Fuji's have excellent EVF's too.

On your budget I'd go mirrorless with the A7 if you can live with the rather leisurely (by the standards of the fastest) AF.

Other than that I'd ignore DoF as IMO you can get adequately thin DoF from not only APS-C but MFT too and with relatively cheap lenses, but that's just me.

Nikon D610 with your budget. Big, bright viewfinder, FX for dof control, good handling that makes it feel quite like a film camera.

Sensor is modern enough for excellent dynamic range and resolution.

I'd think about a Canon EOS 6D Mk1, if you already have some Canon EF lenses for it (EF-S ones won't fit/work with it). If you don't currently have any Canon EF lenses, then for street and urban landscape I can suggest the 40mm EF STM pancake lens, which makes for a very compact DSLR set-up when paired with the 6D. With street photography I often find 35mm is a bit too wide and 50mm can often be a bit too tight; I find the 40mm is a good compromise if I'm not using a zoom.

The shallow depth of field was the first thing I noticed when I got my 6D, just like the 35mm film cameras I use. Don't be too lead by specification details if reading reviews, as someone once said, the 6D is a triumph of functionality over specification. I find it produces some great looking photos and is easy to use if you're used to Canon DSLRs and their latter-day 35mm SLRs. Hope this is useful.

Last edited:
i agree with ancient_mariner; the D610 would look like an obvious choice for the very reasons he gives PLUS the lenses you have for the F4 will work on it too :)

Back