Another first attempt at water droplets!!!!

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

Well I've just taken over 500 pics to get these two!!!! I just can't get the timing right!!!!!

I didn't really do a great job, but next time i need a bit more DOF, but I'm too knackered now to do any more!!

C&C welcome

DSC_2795.jpg

DSC_2896.jpg

It's blooming difficult!!! :bonk:

I'm now going to go and clear up all the water that is everywhere!!!!!

Last edited:
Well, I'm no expert on these yet, having only tried it myself twice. However, I would say that they are encouraging for a first attempt. They really do consume lots of shutter activity though!

I tried the first ones without any colour in the water and then started dripping water with a bit of red food colouring into clear water, which I liked the effect of. I think after my second attempt that more colour is probably more interesting and actually I think it makes it easier to get good focus. It's worth trying to see what you get.

In terms of timing, a steady, consistent drip helps and if you are really struggling try a few in continuous shooting mode and see what you get. If you listen to the shutter and compare the shots from each it might help to guide you as to when you need to be shooting.

It might also be worth considering using a larger container so that you don't get the edges in shot when angling down on the droplet, as in your first shot.

I like the background - good idea!

HTH!

Thanks for the comments, yes I will go with a bigger container without a doubt, and I do need to rig up some kind of constant drip method!!

The background is literally a piece of a4 paper with the earth printed on it!! Was hoping to catch it in a drop, but think I was a little over enthusiastic for my first attempt!!!

But, I am now enthusiastic, so will do more!!!

As said for first attempts they are good and promising!! :) It is highly addictive so keep at it!

Better with a plain background.

Yeah it was just an A4 print of the earth, did think about going to the moon, but flights were fully booked, and they wanted a HUGE amount of money!!!

Thanks for the comments guys

tell you what would look great, if you can capture the planet in a nice round drop splashing up!....dare ya! lol you may use more than 500 clicks though!

but I think your on your way there mate ;-)

tell you what would look great, if you can capture the planet in a nice round drop splashing up!....dare ya! lol you may use more than 500 clicks though!

but I think your on your way there mate ;-)

Cheers robbo....and it's funny you mention capturing the globe, I thought it'd be nice to do that, but didn't think it would be possible for a pleb like my good self!!!!!!

I think I'll have to have another go.....any tips before i start????!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers robbo....and it's funny you mention capturing the globe, I thought it'd be nice to do that, but didn't think it would be possible for a pleb like my good self!!!!!!

I think I'll have to have another go.....any tips before i start????!!!!!!!!!!

You've got it set up pretty much perfect there :) Go give it a go! (y)

You've got it set up pretty much perfect there :) Go give it a go! (y)

yea as above, think its just a case of trial and error from now waiting for that special drop.

You could try to create a drop of a similar splash size on the end of something stationary, e.g. wooden spoon on a clamp. and place were the drop will drop, that way you could position the BG at the right distance.....its pretty close though!

sure you will get there through trial and error :)

I think these are an excellent first attempt, much better than my first attempts, nice and sharp and colourful too.
I think both would look better with the bottom section cropped out.

Back