Another fly - any ideas on ID? - another added!

Edit My Images
Yes

Over the Rainbow by AshMashMash, on Flickr

And another, different species:

Look into my eyes... by AshMashMash, on Flickr

Exif on link. Flash set up was this:

5603955860_d26714a11d_z.jpg

Thanks! (C+C Welcome!)

Last edited:
Great shot, I love the iridescence you've captured.
Not sure on ID, looks like a robber fly perhaps?

the first fly is a dolichopid fly, the second is a green bottle. I get loads of dolichopid flies around and on my pond. Interesting setup Ash. ;)

Brilliant flash setup - I've got to try that - how clever ( and cheap ) - results are fantastic.

Wow, that's superb

Ty!

the first fly is a dolichopid fly, the second is a green bottle. I get loads of dolichopid flies around and on my pond. Interesting setup Ash. ;)

Thanks Alby, can always rely on you ;) Indeed it was around some marsh so that makes sense!

Awsome flash setup!

Brilliant flash setup - I've got to try that - how clever ( and cheap ) - results are fantastic.

Thanks! Yeh, good old milk bottle! lol.

Number 3 is all time favourite ... :)

Beautiful shots mate..!

#3? :thinking: Thanks!

It'll sound daft, but how did you make your flash adaptation? I'd love to have a go too! And what lens did you use? Is it the one that allows 4:1 zoom? I assume so as the pics are just amazing :)

It'll sound daft, but how did you make your flash adaptation? I'd love to have a go too! And what lens did you use? Is it the one that allows 4:1 zoom? I assume so as the pics are just amazing :)

It's the back of a milk carton, I simply cut a round hole on it and shoved it over the front of the lens :D

The lens is the Canon 60mm macro lens - no maginifcation. Both these images are taken at 1:1, and cropped varying amount.

Thanks!

So the quality is just brilliant considering no magnification. Even more impressive :)
What does the carton do? Focus the light down onto the subject rather than blast it everywhere?

Last edited:
So the quality is just brilliant considering no magnification. Even more impressive :)
What does the carton do? Focus the light down onto the subject rather than blast it everywhere?

Yep, the lens is a lovely lovely lens. Took a few shots to get the focus correct obviously though, all done handheld and in the wind, lol.

The carton diffuses the flash, makes it less of a full on beam, and more of a wide spread white glow over the subject, less harsh.

Fantastic Ash! Just brilliant shot number 2

Do you always use a flash outside... and if so, why is that?

<just ordered a macro lens - can't wait!>

Thank you!

Yes - following other people's advice and exif data I looked at, and it works brilliantly. The reason being 1. you can get much smaller apertures, and therefore much larger DOF, which is needed when you're so close to the subject, and 2. it eliminates a lot of motion blur by providing an effective shutter speed closer to 1/1000th of a second (with some background light from sun etc however depending on the conditions around - which can help, but also add to motion blur).

Which lens have you ordered?

Will flickr mine when I take my first shots - would value your opinion...

btw, your newspaper article was awesome ... it was just a matter of time before someone noticed your brilliance with droplets :) Congratulations.

Will flickr mine when I take my first shots - would value your opinion...

btw, your newspaper article was awesome ... it was just a matter of time before someone noticed your brilliance with droplets :) Congratulations.

Have I got you on Flickr? I forget who I have and haven't with all the different usernames :nuts:

And thanks! Yes I was very pleased :D

Back