Another go at football

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
Chalfont St Peter v Gloucester City in the FA Cup this time - Chalfont won 5-3 having been 4-0 up. Here are a few of the shots I took - comments and criticisms welcome.

They were all taken at ISO 400 or 800 on a D40x with a 70-300 AF-S f/4.5-5.6 lens in aperture priority.

2855887878_b70d4f97c1.jpg

2855053149_4cda0b2999.jpg

2855886206_b8fa36afbc.jpg

2855885284_0df503b71c.jpg

I've also started to put together a designated gallery in fotopic for events and sports pics and the rest of the match shots are here. Not much there at the moment but it's growing and (hopefully!) improving.

Very nice indeed. A slight improvement from the Welsh pics but both very good sets. I particularly like the first of these, great action shot, really sharp.
I've got a D40x but I'm not getting this kind of quality from it which leads me to belive that I need new glass (or better technique).

Andy

Theres NOT a lot wrong with them images GingerJon....good stuff (y)

You were there then mate? Why didn't you PM me?

It didn't quite go to plan for us. But then we never do anything in the FA Cup and didn't start to play until we were 0-4 down. That said our chairman was rather scathing about some of the players in the home team suggesting that they were happy to play at a level two divisions below us and wouldn't test themselves at a higher standard because they prefered to go out on the p155 on a friday night rather than maintain the discipline required higher up the pyramid. Two of their guys, 9 & 7 (who you've pictured) were outstanding.

Did you spot the celebrity in the crowd? (edit - he's in your gallery!)

The light fluctuated pretty badly and I was switching between AV and TV for the most part, did you try either?

Last edited:
You were there then mate? Why didn't you PM me? Did you spot the celebrity in the crowd? (edit - he's in your gallery!)

The light fluctuated pretty badly and I was switching between AV and TV for the most part, did you try either?

I didn't PM because I didn't know until the last minute that I would definitely be there!

Managed to pee off the celeb actually by obviously turning to take his pic at one point and he pointedly scowled off.

I just adjusted the ISO rather than shooting mode - convenience rather than skill!

Many thanks to everyone for your comments. :)

Nice set of pics you have there, how many shots did you end up taking on the day?

I've just bought myself a 55-200mm VR (should be here tomorrow). I would love to try some football photography - I have friends who play good level football, but I work Saturdays! :razz:

Mine has 348 although I've deleted a bunch of oof ones as I looked through them

Last season whilst using my remote camera there were games where I was taking in excess of 2000 photos!

Back