Another Large Format cry for help

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on to my post in the "My new toy" thread, where I posted this pic of my latest acquisition
5385291859_44cbeaaf83_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
I've just bought this to go on it from a well know auction site.
5412683921_6fed13ac91_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Trouble is it doesn't seem to want to focus, have I been a complete numpty and bought the wrong thing or does it need a different lens board? At the moment it's mounted on a basic flat lens board.

Any advice/help much appreciated.

That looks like a 75mm lens (maybe, cant really see) which means to focus at infinity the lens needs to be 75mm away from the plane of focus. That's really close, but it looks like you have bag bellows which would help.

I would suggest you try and set the standards as close together as you can, and then see what you are focussed on (point it at things increasingly close to the camera, until something snaps into focus)

You may need a recessed lens board to get infinty though

That looks like a 75mm lens (maybe, cant really see) which means to focus at infinity the lens needs to be 75mm away from the plane of focus. That's really close, but it looks like you have bag bellows which would help.

I would suggest you try and set the standards as close together as you can, and then see what you are focussed on (point it at things increasingly close to the camera, until something snaps into focus)

You may need a recessed lens board to get infinty though

OK interesting, the space between the the lens and focus plane is 85mm at best. I do have a recessed lens board but the hole is too small for the lens, is it worth drilling this out to fit?

Isn't that a maco lens designed for macro on a 4x5 Polaroid copy camera? I don't think you can even use it as a landscape lens at all.

Isn't that a maco lens designed for macro on a 4x5 Polaroid copy camera? I don't think you can even use it as a landscape lens at all.

It could well be. That'll teach me to do some basic homework :bang:

Oh well I might start doing large format macro shots :LOL:

Would there be any point in butchering a recessed lens plate?

You're dead right, it's macro capabilities are phenomenal :eek:

Not quite what I had in mind for a 75mm lens but could be interesting to use.

Easiest way to find out the focussing distance is to use a white piece of paper as the film plane and move the lens backwards and forwards until you see a sharp image. Point it at a light or window in the day.

Simple as that..

Back