Beginner Another Lighthouse at Sunrise

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Thought I'd share another of my lighthouse images following the feedback of my first image - Any feedback etc would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's worth viewing the original for the detail of the stones on the walkway.

Rob.

Overall like it, mainly because I like the simplicity of it, but to be honest I think that a long exposure was the wrong choice for this situation, you've a cloudless sky so the only effect your seeing is in the water, well and the slightly miss shaped sun as well...personally I think you'd have had a more striking image with the low sun being somewhat reflected in the waves as I suspect it would have been...as the sky is cloudless I think that the contrail in the upper left needs to be cloned out...and a final thing, your horizon is ever so slightly off your in need of a touch of CCW rotation..

Looks good to me. The sun does appear misshapen because a thin layer of cloud is lying over it. Having said that I agree that a reflection on the sea would have improved it.

Thanks for the comments, I agree a reflection would have been nice. The sea was quite rough that day, I don't think I could have achieved a reflection. This is a picture I took shortly before which should give an idea:

Rob.

I like it as an image - nice simplicity, a variety of textures, good and believable colours but still striking. I'd also have liked to see a shot in landscape with a longer focal length and slightly lower down to retain the impression of length of the jetty and make the sun larger.

I can meet some of those requests:

Rob.

I like it a lot, only thing I'd say is that there seems to be a light haze over the scene which takes out a bit of the detail from the lighthouse and the rocks of the walkway. I'd maybe try darkening the blacks to bring the definition out a bit more.

Looks good to me, (as another beginner) Mark - I like the blurring of the water provided by the long exposure and the image overall works. Prefer the one in your original post, especially the use of the portrait orientation that I shy away from for some reason - but this really suits it.

Thanks for the comments, Dougie and Rob.

Dougie - I know what you mean. I played with that part of the image in LR for quite a while and couldn't get it quite right, I like the detail and texture of the stone but I think someone a lot more talented in LR/PS could make much more of it.

Rob - I too shy away from portrait, I have one or two taken in portrait but this one I really liked for some reason.

Rob.

Initial shot works best for me Mark.
The portrait orientation works very well and the use of long exposure is fantastic.
Nicely exposed to retain detail in sun, the horizon does need addressing however.

Thanks Jake,

I have corrected the horizon... Photography 101, stupid mistake :facepalm:

Rob.

Thank you, Rob.

Appreciate the comment.

Rob.

Thanks, Nick - I've sobered the horizon up now using a combination of Photoshop and strong coffee, all is well in the world again! :)

Thanks for the comment, it's appreciated.

There are some nice images of the lighthouse on your website, one of which I was hoping to try last weekend but the weather let me down, that is the reflection of the lighthouse in some of the rock pools nearby, it's something I've been meaning to get around to for ages.

Rob.

Back