Another newbie strobist question - sorry

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all, I've a read through this forum and strobist.com and managed to confuse myself.

Iim currently using a Canon 40D (soon to be FF) and would like to have a go at some off camera flash portrait photography. I have 580EXII and access to a 430EX. I would like to start to be a bit more creative with the lighting I'm using.

As I understand it, and I may be wrong, the 580EXII can act as a master and trigger the 430EX. The most basic setup I can get then is to mount the 580EX off-shoe and use that to trigger the 430?

1. What cables do I need to do this?
2. Presumably I need stands and mount brackets to attach the Speedlights to the stands, what are good budget stands to start with?
3. If I'm shooting outside I presume I'll need a wireless set up. The ebay cactus triggers seem like a good place to start but I understand they are flaky. If I give these a go do I need any other leads?
4. Am I better off buying a more reliable system. I'm not saying money is no object but I don't want to buy twice.

I mainly shoot portraits of family,friends etc and landscapes

Any pointers appreciated. Apologies for covering some ground that may have been coverd before but I've tried to decipher this on my own and am now more confused than ever

Eisbar

Hi

If you want to run your 580EXII off camera fully dedicated, you need the Canon OC-E3 accessory which allows you to use the flash up to .6 of a metre away (but be warned the cable is coiled, so if you stretch it to the limit there is a strong tendancy to spring back towards the camera, or visa versa). The full retail price is about £50, but you can get them cheaper.

Re triggers, be wary of the Ebay specials. They can work ok, but are generally very flimsy in build quality.

Re your list of needs, it would be worth including diffusers for each flash which will help soften the light. There are many different types/makes and they start at just a few quid for the simple universal inflatable ones.

Hope that helps (partially)

Peter

If you're not gonna use off camera flash all the time, then go with the ebay trigger.

The ebay triggers are a good learning tool, but if you, as you rightly say, want to avoid buying twice have a look at the more reliable systems like either Skyports or Pocket Wizards

Cheers for all that.

If I want to get 2 stands to attach the flashes to what other cables/brackets etc do i need if I want to fire these remotely?

Eisbar

You'll need a stand, an umbrella adaptor and a coldshoe (hotshoe with no electrical contacts). Some umbrella adaptors come with the coldshoe fitment included.

You'll need a stand, an umbrella adaptor and a coldshoe (hotshoe with no electrical contacts). Some umbrella adaptors come with the coldshoe fitment included.

Ta. Do you have any recommendations are all stands and adaptors much of a muchness?

Cheers

Eisbar

You have several ways of doing this. you can use tripods and mount your Canon flashes using the plastic foot plate that comes with them.

Or, you can use light stands and incorporate a swivel adaptor. A couple of benefits are a more stable base, the ability to tilt the head and the ability to attach a brolly.

There are cheaper versions available on ebay if you are not giving them some welly but this is the kind of thing you need.

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/MF6830/

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/item/MF6045/

Interfit and Bowens also do light stands and I'm sure if you google or look on ebay you will find some that are suitable for your budget.

Hope that helps.

I can recommend those Calumet umbrella adaptors, I've got a couple and I can't really see any difference between them and my Manfrotto ones

I had to upgrade to them after I bought some cheap ones from ebay and my flashes fell off them! Oh well, at least I salvaged the brollies and my flashes landed on grass so they were OK.

Apparently Calumet are looking to the current economic climate and attempting to offer the photograher good quality kit at reasonable prices so are extending their range of own branded products.

Can only be good news, I've heard their memory cards are very good too :)

Apologies for the slight hijack there but it's good gear. :)

I like Calumet (again-after the 70-200 VR fiasco), especially after getting the 60" brollies for £14 from them :LOL:

Both Calumet and Lastolite use the Manfrotto head. Lastolite re-engineer them, somewhat, making it easier to attach both flash and trigger.

This eBay seller has decent stands etc.: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/photoskill

I would only use Calumet for specific bargains, not generally. Look out for free postage offers.

Shame photon, I've had nothing but great help from the Manchester store for two years now and I can't thank them enough for all their help, and of course for relieving me of vast quantities of cash! lol.

Maplins have some got lighting stands reduced from £30 to £14.99, 20kg load. Given the T-bar they might be useful for background support.

So I've been busy in the last couple of weeks, and looked at loads of options.

I've chatted up a mate of mine and, if I want them, I can have two Elinchrom Portalte soft boxes and two Elinchrom stands from a D-Lite 4 to go kit.

The big problem is that I can't have the flash head units.

The speedring for the Portalites is designed to attach to the flash head unit, which then directly mounts to the stands.

Does anyone know of a way I can mount the soft boxes on to the stands and use them with my 580 IIEX and 430 EX? Please could you detail exactly what I would need to make this work, if it is actually possible?

TIA

Eisbar

I've got the cactus V2 triggers, main issues I have with them is the ridiculously cheap plastic meaning mounting via hot shoe is very unstable feeling, and the CR2 battery being a bit obscure for purpose.

For mounting off camera I'm currently in the process of procuring a Hot shoe > pc connector to keep them by the side of the camera rather than supporting it (SB 600 doesn't have a PC connector), and a quick battery box mod so it'll run off rechargable AAs

I've got the cactus V2 triggers, main issues I have with them is the ridiculously cheap plastic meaning mounting via hot shoe is very unstable feeling, and the CR2 battery being a bit obscure for purpose.

For mounting off camera I'm currently in the process of procuring a Hot shoe > pc connector to keep them by the side of the camera rather than supporting it (SB 600 doesn't have a PC connector), and a quick battery box mod so it'll run off rechargable AAs

Cheers for that, I'm less worried about triggering the flashes at the moment. I'm more concerned about physically fitting the the strobes to the Elinchrom stands and Portalites. Does anyone know if this possible?

Back