Another numpty question

Edit My Images
No
:ponders:

Back to basics again here folks.

On my D70, there is a button AF-L/AE-L.

Could someone explain to me what it's for and how to use it?

I think I have an idea, but need clarification.

Basically, sometimes when I take a shot, say of a building, the building is properly exposed but the sky isn't, and sometimes vice versa. My idea is that if you wanted to expose for the building, you'd point at the building, press the button half way, then whilst holding the afore mentioned button recompose the shot.

Am I along the right lines?

Am I along the right lines?

Totally. AF-L/AE-L would be auto focus lock/auto exposure lock.

I don't know Nikon's so I have no idea if it just links the two or lets you chose one, t'other or both but I'm sure someone will along to say. :)

dazzajl said:
Totally. AF-L/AE-L would be auto focus lock/auto exposure lock.

I don't know Nikon's so I have no idea if it just links the two or lets you chose one, t'other or both but I'm sure someone will along to say. :)

..well I just did a bit of the old RTFM, and yep that's spot on. I think it differs according to either a custom setting or the shooting mode you're in.

Do you think this would explain pictures where the sky is a beautiful blue and buildings being very dark (i.e. shooting whilst looking up at a clocktower for example)

Theres a setting on the camera which determines if it does AE/AF, AE or AF. I've left it on default, as I don't know the ups and downs of changing it.

It's simple mate:

If set to AEL (auto-exposure lock) (default) then pressing it locks the exposure reading until a photo is taken.
If set of AFL (auto-focus lock) then pressing it locks the focus until a photo is taken

:)

SammyC said:
It's simple mate:

If set to AEL (auto-exposure lock) (default) then pressing it locks the exposure reading until a photo is taken.
If set of AFL (auto-focus lock) then pressing it locks the focus until a photo is taken

..thanks for that information.

I'm just taking time to fill in a few basic blanks in my knowledge! :embarasse

DavidUK said:
Do you think this would explain pictures where the sky is a beautiful blue and buildings being very dark (i.e. shooting whilst looking up at a clocktower for example)

Most definitely. Next time you are out point your camera a building & look at exposure readings & then point at sky & see the massive difference. Only when you have strong light (eg. not in shadow) on to a building do you stand a chance of getting both right in a shot. Just take a look at post on HDR for similar scenarios when shooting indoors with windows in shot.

evilowl said:
Comprehensive explanation here:

http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/af_ae_config

I prefer to set mine to AE lock hold when using AFS - purely so you don't have to keep the button depressed. To do this go into the CSM menu>15>AE lock hold

While you're at it, have a read of the resources on the rest of the site. They are a wealth of info about the D70 http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/dslr_links

..I was checking this out in the manual. With mine I think u hold the shutter release and the AE lock button and then recompose. How does it work with your setting? would it just lock the exposure everytime you hold the shutter release (or is that the intention)?

Thanks for the links guys, found lots of D70 info in the last day or so through my postings!

see, no such thing as a stupid question

DavidUK said:
..I was checking this out in the manual. With mine I think u hold the shutter release and the AE lock button and then recompose. How does it work with your setting? would it just lock the exposure everytime you hold the shutter release (or is that the intention)?

Thanks for the links guys, found lots of D70 info in the last day or so through my postings!

The AE/AF lock button can be set to:

lock focus and exposure
lock focus only
lock exposure only

on top of that you can program the button to either lock while the button is depressed, or to lock for 6 seconds (ie you can take your finger off the button) - pressing the button again within the 6 seconds removes the lock

With my setting you just press the AE button and it locks the exposure for 6 seconds. Focus (in AF-S mode) can then be locked by holding the shutter release halfway.

A good explanation from http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/d100-csm.html

planetneil said:
This setting controls the behaviour of the AE-L / AF-L button.

default : AE/AF Lock,
my recommendation : anything other than the default.
my preference : AE Lock

Exposure and Focus lock should not be linked. They have nothing to do with each other - the point that you meter off is most likely not to be the same point you are focusing on. You really don't want to limit yourself by having the AE Lock button to also be your Focus Lock. Either use the AE/AF Lock button as an AE Lock .. or .. an AF Lock, but not both at the same time.

Which setting you choose depends entirely on your shooting style. If you use Continuous Focusing often, then it makes sense to use this button as an AF lock or set as the AF-ON selection (which will remove the focusing action from the shutter button.

My preference is to use this button as the AE lock exclusively. I only shoot in Single-frame and Single-Servo AF since this combination allows me to use the shutter button as a focus lock between frames.
Have a play around and see what works best for you :thumb:

Back