Another of Botallack Tin Mine, Cornwall.

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No
Following on from my last post on this location, another of the Crowns and Pierce's engine houses at Botallack.

Andy Reed and I had a bit of a debate on the matter of converging (or diverging) verticals, perspectives, rotations and so on in which I belatedly conceded defeat. This one is perhaps more challenging. Taken using my old and long superceded Nikkor 24-120 f3.5-5.6D at 24mm, there are some interesting aberrations at the outer limits of the lens which surpass mere perspective.

Two versions, one before and one following a dramatic correction in which I haven't aimed for perfection, just improvement.

The image has undergone a mild pseudo HDR treatment from a single JPEG, and I fiddled with saturation, levels and sharpness. The light was very flat, with a typically Cornish damp sea haze.

Before

DSC_1162HDR2B.jpg

and after...

DCS_1162HDRstrB.jpg

Preferences one way or the other....?

Last edited:
I prefer the 2nd version, mainly because the edge of the building is more square to the edge of the image and looks more square.

Like them both as i can't see any difference!! Lots of nice detail in the stonework!

The second is preferable...correcting the distortion has paid benefits, at least to my eye.

The 2nd one for me, I much prefer the straight verticals.

Hi horrocks, I prefer the second shot purely because everything looks a little more square in the frame however I would like to see it with the deeper greens & reds that the first image has. :)

...however I would like to see it with the deeper greens & reds that the first image has. :)

Oh! - I wasn't aware that I had changed them. I had to do quite a bit of cloning around the edges of the image, and I might have applied another mild USM, but I don't think I changed the saturation levels..

..mmm, now looking carefully, it might be a matter of a slightly higher contrast in #1.

Last edited:
Back