Another one converting...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
...but not the usual from Canon to Nikon conversion though, lol. I've just sold all my Nikon gear and am now going to go back to a bridge camera! :eek:

There were a few reasons for this - I'm not a pro, I don't get to many suitable places to use all the gear enough, I don't have the transport to move all the gear around and to get to suitable locations, I'm not fit enough to carry all the gear for miles, I found photography less enjoyable with all the DSLR gear, I have to spend more time at home now and other things would benefit more from all the money I had in the camera gear.

My brother has actually bought all the Nikon gear off me in one go so that has saved me having to sell it all off in parts at least.

Has anyone else 'downgraded' from a DSLR? :thinking:

I'm currently thinking on getting the Fuji Finepix S100FS shortly but any other suggestions would be welcome... :D

I'm getting fed up lugging different lenses around all the time, then changing em, then paying for other lenses. So I'm thinking of getting a Canon SX10 IS cost around £230ish including rechargeable batteries and case plus its does reasonable video with a 20x optical zoom which can be used in video mode. Don't think I'll be selling my DSLR yet. The SX10 IS will make a good back up camera though.

Oh is it a camera inbetween a dslr and a compact?

Yep, it bridges the gap between the two. They usually have all the manual controls, but with smaller sensors than DSLRs, and no need to change lenses.

Chris

How are you finding the difference in quality? I'm courious about how good these cameras really are. Wayne

You might want to consider the panasonic FZ18. Excellent image quality with its Leica lens.

Also with a Raynox DCR250 you can get fantastic macro shots, ideal for insects or very close flower detail around your garden.

Add the Olympus TCON 1.7 converter and you have an excelent zoom facility for garden birds.

Both lenses very cheap and small, the whole kit could be placed in one(rather large) hand :)

Have you thought about the Olympus E-420 twin lens kit with better IQ?

With a combined weight of 780 gms for the camera and two lenses and less bulk compared to the FujiS100's weight of 918g and little price difference it could be a possible solution.:)

How are you finding the difference in quality? I'm courious about how good these cameras really are. Wayne
I haven't got a new bridge camera yet. I'm thinking of getting the Fuji Finepix S100FS at the minute, probably in the next week or so. I used to have the Fuji Finepix S9600 before I upgraded to the Nikon DSLR and found the image quality pretty good, though not as good as the Nikon DSLR but that is to be expected. I think for me the image quality is good enough.

You might want to consider the panasonic FZ18. Excellent image quality with its Leica lens.
I just had a look at it and the newer FX28 model but neither seem to match up to the Fuji S100FS in features. The S100FS is 11 MP whereas even the newer FZ28 is only 10 MP but more importantly the S100FS has a larger sensor too. The fastest shutter speed on the S100FS is 1/4000 whereas the fastest on both the panasonics is only 1/2000. The S100FS has a hot shoe and PC sync socket for external flash and neither of the panasonic models has these. The video resolution is better on the panasonics but I'm not getting the camera for movies. The S100FS has an optional remote control whereas the panasonics don't. All in all the S100FS is looking better to me still.

Have you thought about the Olympus E-420 twin lens kit with better IQ?

With a combined weight of 780 gms for the camera and two lenses and less bulk compared to the FujiS100's weight of 918g and little price difference it could be a possible solution.:)
No, i'm not going back down the DSLR route. Been there now and I wasn't happy with it, too much messing about cleaning sensors, changing lenses, etc. I want to enjoy taking photographs and the SLR gear is just too much messing about for me to enjoy it.

Not downgraded as I have both but I do use my Panasonic FZ8 prosumer an awful lot. I find it a lot easier to cart around. I don't think I could go without either though tbh. ;)

I just had a look at it and the newer FX28 model but neither seem to match up to the Fuji S100FS in features. The S100FS is 11 MP whereas even the newer FZ28 is only 10 MP but more importantly the S100FS has a larger sensor too. The fastest shutter speed on the S100FS is 1/4000 whereas the fastest on both the panasonics is only 1/2000. The S100FS has a hot shoe and PC sync socket for external flash and neither of the panasonic models has these. The video resolution is better on the panasonics but I'm not getting the camera for movies. The S100FS has an optional remote control whereas the panasonics don't. All in all the S100FS is looking better to me still.

The leica lens is the decider, but best of luck with whatever you choose :)

Back