Another scanner post (just a little different)

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone.
So far I've taken 5 shots on film and already love it, already have all these ideas.
Just a quick question for now though. How much do you need to spend on a scanner to get comparable resaults to Tesco/Boots type places. I've seen V300's for less than £100. V500's for £160. But if Tesco scans look like V700 images, then splashing out any time soon seems a waste.

Thanks

Main reason for scanning yourself on standard C41 35mm, rather than from tesco's sees to me to be if you want something a little larger / higher resolution than the tesco's jobs do. A V700/750 has a theoretical optical resolution of 6400 dpi (12800 interpolated) - so should be good for 9000x6000 pixels or 30"x20" @ 300 dpi. (something like a 54MPx camera equivalent) - I say theoretical, as a few reviews have said it's probably more like 3200 in actual resolving power because of focusing issues :shrug: - still a lot better than Tesco's will scan at for 99p I'm pretty sure.

Of course, they don't do proper black and white or 120 film procesing, so i'd need a scanner for that (or pay a fortune to peak imaging / ilford et.al. instead)

Can't talk about the 700 but the V750 has a maximum optical resolution of 9600 which, by interpolation, can be increased to 12x00.

Unless you're going to down an awful lot of scanning it's rarely worth the expense of getting a scanner. I think the cheaper scanners are a false economy when it comes to scanning negatives, particularly small formats such as 35mm. If you do end up buying a scanner make sure you find out what the optical resolution is for it, anything else is just interpolation. To give you an example, the V700 has an optical resolution of approximately 2300 dpi, it's a bit naughty really.

Hello everyone.
So far I've taken 5 shots on film and already love it, already have all these ideas.
Just a quick question for now though. How much do you need to spend on a scanner to get comparable resaults to Tesco/Boots type places. I've seen V300's for less than £100. V500's for £160. But if Tesco scans look like V700 images, then splashing out any time soon seems a waste.

Thanks

Well I have the V750 and don't use it much as the Tesco scans are good enough for normal posts on forums or 5X7" (or a bit larger prints?) prints. This type of scanner is handy for scanning lots of old negs as you can scan about 24-35mm negs at a time.
But if you want large enlargements then a Tesco scan will not be good enough.....I was checking out a Helios 44m on Kodak gold 200asa scanned at 3200 on V750:-

fortesting001.jpg

Crop which would be about a 6' print of the house as measured across a computer screen:-
fortestingcrop.jpg

No touching up in Photoshop just colour correction using Epson software, but using grain reducing programs would enhance the shot.

Last edited:
As I use the 750 in a forensic environment and chat to many colleagues and interested parties around the globe, I can only observe with interest why you folks use resolutions such as 3200 dpi?

Although I am quite sure that 9600 is the maximum native (optical) resolution, even if I am wrong on this...:eek::p...it is always good to work in halves or halves of halves of native / optical max.

Anything else introduces interpolation.

So a £100 scanner, 100 rolls at Tescos, will produce better scans than Tescos?

As I use the 750 in a forensic environment and chat to many colleagues and interested parties around the globe, I can only observe with interest why you folks use resolutions such as 3200 dpi?

Although I am quite sure that 9600 is the maximum native (optical) resolution, even if I am wrong on this...:eek::p...it is always good to work in halves or halves of halves of native / optical max.

Often you don't want vast file sizes (interpolated or not) if you never intend to make large prints. 3200 dpi seems pretty reasonable for archival use.

Well many people on the net say a V750 is only good for a true 2400dpi..in my own tests I've scanned a lot higher (near to maximum) and all I seem to get is less pixel breakup not a sharper shot on a computer screen, and I would suggest a 16X20 lab chemical print might be the answer to compare different digital scans. So like adding more exposure for luck, I scan at 3200 instead of 2400dpi most of the time as a compromise.

Last edited:
At what bit depth?

I have scanned a very small (about half a jumbo) old B&W family photo once at 4800 dpi and 48 bit greyscale tiff and ended up with an image file of just over 2Gb...

Very easy to get huge files and for that we need monster processing power...

Now I am the first supporter of over-engineering something (anything) but what do we gain from it?

At 2400 dpi we can reproduce 8 times the original size...maybe not enough for negs but a jumbo print reproduced 8 times original is larger than most people ever print...

..and we are all included :) but you are quite welcome to backup everything you say with examples of scanning.

Give me examples / requirements...I'll work on them next week...

I have a V500 and it blows the socks of Tesco's scans.

I've been on a scanning course at Epson Hemel Hemstead, whilst I agree the V750 is phenominal for most people the V500 is more than adequate.

Give me examples / requirements...I'll work on them next week...

Well 35mm crops to show what the V750 is capable of and differences at 2400, 3200, 4800, 6400 and higher if YOU can see a difference.

So a £100 scanner, 100 rolls at Tescos, will produce better scans than Tescos?

this is something I want to know as well !
don't forget that you can't dev only in tesco (that's what I've heard) , so probably would need to dev yourself , but it's cheap and fun I think ! :)

don't forget that you can't dev only in tesco (that's what I've heard) , so probably would need to dev yourself , but it's cheap and fun I think ! :)

Well here is shot straight from a Tesco CD no fiddling in Photoshop other than resizing to 800pixels for rules of the forum:-

Hexanon 28mm lens superia 200asa
11niceviewofchurchatthetop.jpg

Crop/enlargement equivalent of 2' 6" print as measured across the computer screen:-
crop.jpg

A fiddle in Photoshop and saves buying a digital camera for similar squeaky clean result:-
crop2.jpg

Last edited:

A local photography shop does dev only for £2.50, probably taking more care than tesco, plus I'm going to start b&w at home.

Thanks

With a budget of £100 and only 35mm film to scan, I'd buy one of these...stuff Tesco.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item

With a bigger budget..........I'd still buy one of these, or whatever dedicated scanner fits the budget...:cool:

The question was, if you missed it, "How much do you need to spend on a scanner to get comparable resaults to Tesco/Boots type places."

Indeed, but haven't we gone passed that and now just chatting ;)

Back