Another selection

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
As a forum that I used to use all the time and I believe got me to here, I would like to give back 4 years of absence from Macro which I dearly missed. So this is my promise to come back with some critique to your images and hope you can reciprocate.

For the older members I swear not to be as harsh as Brash :D

08-Jul-20_13A5341.jpg

08-Jul-20_13A5328-Edit.jpg

08-Jul-202020-07-09-19.27.28 ZS retouched-Edit.jpg

08-Jul-20_13A5573.jpg

08-Jul-202020-07-09-19.15.23 ZS DMap-Edit.jpg

09-Jul-20_13A5940.jpg

#1 Caterpillar with a cap, that's not something you see every day
:D
Last 2 for me Bryn (y)

As a forum that I used to use all the time and I believe got me to here, I would like to give back 4 years of absence from Macro which I dearly missed. So this is my promise to come back with some critique to your images and hope you can reciprocate.

OK.

For the older members I swear not to be as harsh as Brash :D

Constructive criticism. That's the way to go IMO.

^ ^^ Not really critique, but was this one flash or natural light? I'd guess natural light with the light area on the ladybird being the sky.

^^^ Personal taste - Not quite enough of the animal in focus for my taste. Not sure how much that would be because of OOF parts of the plant obscuring it, and how much because of the aperture used (Can't see any Exif data, so don't know anything about the kit or settings. May be helpful to provide some info when seeking critique?)

^^^ Super pose. A bit hot around the right (as we look at it) eye? Perhaps that is inevitable with such a reflective body. It's something I've been getting increasingly bothered and frustrated by with my images. I can't seem to get anywhere with improving it.

^^^ Lovely colours and composition. Personal taste - DOF a bit thin here too for my taste. With the subject this small in the frame (which is fine by me btw, I like this sort of shot) I would personally much prefer to see the whole head, proboscis and antennae in focus, which I could quite possibly be done without compromising the lovely soft background too much.

^^^ Nice. What surface it is on? Soft light coming from above? Interesting reflections in the eye. Makes me wonder how this shot set was up.

Nice - composition, colours, pose. Works well for me.

^^^ Personal taste - Not quite enough of the animal in focus for my taste. Not sure how much that would be because of OOF parts of the plant obscuring it, and how much because of the aperture used (Can't see any Exif data, so don't know anything about the kit or settings. May be helpful to provide some info when seeking critique?)

Unfortunately cause of Flickr and not being free anymore I have to be very careful choosing which shots go on there for sharing hence can't see the EXIF details, i will in future reference as much as possible

^^^ Nice. What surface it is on? Soft light coming from above? Interesting reflections in the eye. Makes me wonder how this shot set was up.

John Hallamen setup ... Sigma 105 + Raynox 250 . think its 3/4 shots stacked

^^^ Super pose. A bit hot around the right (as we look at it) eye? Perhaps that is inevitable with such a reflective body. It's something I've been getting increasingly bothered and frustrated by with my images. I can't seem to get anywhere with improving it.

Think this is where the best use the PS clone tool.

Unfortunately cause of Flickr and not being free anymore I have to be very careful choosing which shots go on there for sharing hence can't see the EXIF details, i will in future reference as much as possible

OK. Understood.

John Hallamen setup ... Sigma 105 + Raynox 250 . think its 3/4 shots stacked

Super impressive. Have you got a link showing his flash setup that you are using? Or yours for that matter.

Think this is where the best use the PS clone tool.

PS is certainly the best tool I've got for cloning, but I'd rather not have to do it. Besides which I have found it difficult to make it look convincing a lot of the times I have tried.

Sorry its the Thomas Shahan, been investigating John Hallamen hence why I bought him up. With the lights closer to the vellum.

My experiments suggested that diffusion improves as the distance between the flash heads and the (first) diffusion layer increases (which would explain the quite large distance Thomas Shahan uses with the KX800). But of course the illumination reaching the subject decreases rapidly as the distance between the subject and the flash heads increases. With the flash heads a long way back, given the small apertures I use I found it difficult to get enough light on to the scene to use an ISO I was comfortable with. Besides which, I wasn't getting the quality of light Thomas Shahan gets, even though he uses (essentially) a single layer (I think it may be two layers, but they are in contact, so essentially one layer).

I'm baffled at the lovely light that Thomas Shahan gets with the KX800, and also John K at dpreview (Dalantech), using a front-mounted twin flash. My ongoing failure with reflective subjects despite trying to copy the masters and lots of experimentation is irking me more than somewhat. I sometimes feel that perhaps I'll just stick to flowers; but that is an over-reaction of course.

flash heads and the (first) diffusion layer increases (which would explain the quite large distance Thomas Shahan uses with the KX800)

I have mimicked his setup but the flash heads don't work at distances he has setup on videos. So I have come to assumption that his ISO is high 800 odd if not more (problematic on 7d mk ii) and worse on m4/3 which I think he uses and f stop around f5.6 with higher magnification.

I think he has a near A3 size vellum paper, mine is only A4.

Though I found the opposite, the lights closer to the layer worked loads better. My assumption on this is the bend in the vellum (2 sheets) creates a gap for double diffusion.

My current setup is similar to your front mounted pie dishes. Which up till today gave me more what I wanted, for some reason hotshots went mad today.

I have mimicked his setup but the flash heads don't work at distances he has setup on videos. So I have come to assumption that his ISO is high 800 odd if not more (problematic on 7d mk ii)

With the KX800 on mFT or APS-C I tend to be around ISO 800, a bit more, a bit less.

and worse on m4/3 which I think he uses

I thought he was using medium format these days. Pentax?

and f stop around f5.6 with higher magnification.

I don't understand how he gets the depth of field he does with that large an aperture.

I think he has a near A3 size vellum paper, mine is only A4.

I didn't realise that. Also I didn't realise he was using vellum paper; I thought it was tracing paper. I've seen references before to vellum paper. I think I tried it but it didn't seem to diffuse quite as much as the "plastic paper" that I use. I've just ordered some chinese silk offcuts - John K uses 1/4 stop silk and thinks very highly of its diffusion, but I haven't found a uk source for that. I think I'll try vellum paper again as well.

Though I found the opposite, the lights closer to the layer worked loads better.

That is very interesting. How did you test that? I shone a torch through some materials and the shape of the bulb and reflector were well-defined with the material up close to the torch, and progressively less well defined as the distance increased.

My assumption on this is the bend in the vellum (2 sheets) creates a gap for double diffusion.

Interesting. I assumed it needed more distance than that, but I think I'll test that. It would be very useful (leaving big gaps between layers makes for very deep diffusers).

My current setup is similar to your front mounted pie dishes. Which up till today gave me more what I wanted, for some reason hotshots went mad today.

All my setups produce horrible looking results with reflective insects. I think it is worst with small insects with bodies with high curvature. Ants for example.

... I didn't realise he was using vellum paper; I thought it was tracing paper. I've seen references before to vellum paper. I think I tried it but it didn't seem to diffuse quite as much as the "plastic paper" that I use.

Looks like my recollection is faulty. I just compared what I'm fairly sure is vellum paper with the plastic paper I'm using. The vellum paper diffuses far more, but loses far more light. More experiments on the way!

Diffusion of vellum paper vs plastic paper
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Cool what thickness Vellum paper did you use? I use 140gsm as its thick enough not to be too floppy and provides what I need.

Another faulty recollection. Turns out it was probably parchment paper (90gsm). There again, I see "anitas A4 Plain Parchment Vellum Paper", so perhaps my "parchment paper" is "Vellum Paper". And then again, I think I've heard Thomas Shahan refer to "tracing paper" in one of his videos where he mentioned his diffusion for the KX800, and I see "Vellum Translucent Tracing Paper". All very confusing. Who knows what I'm using.

Still, I built a new pair of diffusers this morning using whatever this stuff is. They lose loads of light, over three stops from just two layers of the paper (as against around 2 stops with 5 layers of my "plastic paper". However, there is enough light for my purposes with the flash heads front-mounted, and the diffusion looks very promising from my test shots of the dead bee that I found several days ago (concentrating on the eyes, which are difficult).

1666 1 Small round 2-layer parchment paper diffusers

1666 2 Sample test shot. 4x magnification with A7ii

Last edited:
Another faulty recollection. Turns out it was probably parchment paper (90gsm). There again, I see "anitas A4 Plain Parchment Vellum Paper", so perhaps my "parchment paper" is "Vellum Paper". And then again, I think I've heard Thomas Shahan refer to "tracing paper" in one of his videos where he mentioned his diffusion for the KX800, and I see "Vellum Translucent Tracing Paper". All very confusing. Who knows what I'm using.

Still, I built a new pair of diffusers this morning using whatever this stuff is. They lose loads of light, over three stops from just two layers of the paper (as against around 2 stops with 5 layers of my "plastic paper". However, there is enough light for my purposes with the flash heads front-mounted, and the diffusion looks very promising from my test shots of the dead bee that I found several days ago (concentrating on the eyes, which are difficult).

1666 1 Small round 2-layer parchment paper diffusers by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

1666 2 Sample test shot. 4x magnification with A7ii by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Exact stuff I purchased. I don't get 3 stops loss its about 0.5 to 0.75 at most and certainly less than 3mm foam.

As for the Vellum parchment/tracing paper its very confusing. Think parchment is a thicker consistency . Basically think Vellum is in-between hence confused with both.

@GardenersHelper @Paul Iddon if you use Vellum just remember to keep it dry. Other option is to laminate it.

I can imagine it might tear when wet, but does getting it wet stop it working as before once it dries out? (My diffusers have been getting a bit wet recently as I've been using high magnifications, so short working distances, for subjects on our little pond, and the corner of a diffuser sometimes dips into the water.)

As to the 2-vellum layers experiment - it was a failure. Ants were even worse than usual. Not sure if that was to do with the vellum or the shape of the diffuser possibly "focusing" the light, but the reflections were I think the worst I have ever seen. Today I've been trying a different approach, with one layer of vellum and one layer of silk in more "spreading-shaped" diffusers. I'm going to try with an extra layer of silk tomorrow. (Ants today not quite so bad, but still unacceptable/unusable.)

Last edited:
I can imagine it might tear when wet, but does getting it wet stop it working as before once it dries out?

Yes tears and also kind of get a bubbling effect which in long run may improve diffusion thinking about it as its no longer flat.

Today I've been trying a different approach, with one layer of vellum and one layer of silk in more "spreading-shaped" diffusers. I'm going to try with an extra layer of silk tomorrow. (Ants today not quite so bad, but still unacceptable/unusable.)

What thickness Vellum do you have? Is it the Anitas one Paul linked on Amazon.

I'll leave that to you until you get used to your new lens :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I actually took it out of the Box this very morning ( packing for my week on Anglesey tomorrow )

I'll give Macro a go on the Anglesey wetlands, hoping to get a Golden Ringed Dragonfly

Les :)

Good luck, sure you'll find it... actually something I need to do go visit local Dragonfly site :D

Good luck :)

I see Whipsnade & London Zoo are asking for donations ! Be a shame to see them go :(

I have only been to Whipsnade the once- but really enjoyed it

Les :)

Yes tears and also kind of get a bubbling effect which in long run may improve diffusion thinking about it as its no longer flat.

I got that effect when the plastic paper got wet. Didn't tear though.

What thickness Vellum do you have? Is it the Anitas one Paul linked on Amazon.

This one. 90 gsm.

I'm getting 3 stops loss from one layer of parchment paper plus two of silk.

A few days ago I made a temporary rig for plastic paper layers that let me adjust the distance of each layer from the flash head. The thing I discovered that really surprised me was that the distance between the flash head and the closest layer had a big impact on light loss. With a three layer setup, with the closest layer very close to the flash head it lost a stop more than with that layer a couple of inches away (and the other two layers not moved). In the setup with two layers of parchment paper, and in the setup with one of parchment paper and two of silk, there is a parchment paper layer quite close to the flash head. That may be contributing to the big light loss I'm getting. If you are using the Shahan KX800 approach then there is presumably a fair distance between the flash heads and the diffusion layer. As I recall Thomas Shahan had his flash heads a long way back. The thing is though that even if the light loss is lessened by having a good distance to the diffusion layer, there will be a big reduction in the light hitting the target because of the large distance between the flash heads and the subject.

Thats very different from the Vellum I have and explains the 3 stops loss.

The thing is though that even if the light loss is lessened by having a good distance to the diffusion layer, there will be a big reduction in the light hitting the target because of the large distance between the flash heads and the subject.

I'm not sure or convinced what he shows on videos is exactly how he really has it setup. Like I mentioned that to get anywhere close to what he gets I had to have the flash heads fairly close to the diffusion layer.

Thats very different from the Vellum I have and explains the 3 stops loss.

That was with two layers (separated by about 20mm).

I'm not sure or convinced what he shows on videos is exactly how he really has it setup. Like I mentioned that to get anywhere close to what he gets I had to have the flash heads fairly close to the diffusion layer.

I just found this. Very interesting about how he handles flash, and also what sort of results even he gets with reflective subjects.

Back