Another view.

Name
Joshua Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
I ended up at college with my camera, and took a few candids, and then got looking at the buildings and the detritus, leaving me with a few interesting photos;

2520327851_1fe9b027a5.jpg

The dismal looking approach to the sixth-form centre.

2521145226_3a582c8ec2.jpg

A total waste of good lathes.

Opinions please?

Last edited:
Sorry ... More of the same as the last lot of yours I commented on.

.... And still over size for the forum.

I would be interested in knowing what you find interesting in these photos.

Sorry ... More of the same as the last lot

Taken on the same day, with the same hangover.

I would be interested in knowing what you find interesting in these photos.

Its easy for me to find them interesting, I know how bloody hard it was to get to the places I took them from, and how unique the view of that site it is. To uninvolved eyes I'm assuming they're boring.

I would say the same. I don't see anything creative about these photos. Not sure what sort of criticism you're looking for but it's going to be pretty much the same I reckon. If it was hard to get to the place then you should do it justice by putting some creative thought into your photography. Some different angles, going at night or early in the morning when the sky is interesting and light is different. These just look like snapshots.

Nicely exposed, sharp images but composition is poor. Can understand why you took them but they don't have much to hold my interest really. Sorry :)

Can you tell me why you're all sorry?

If my technical shooting was passable, but the composition was poor, then I need to go and work on composing photos. Then I'll come back and see if I've improved.

Because nobody likes giving bad news.

You made the effort ... Which is more than a lot of people do.

Sounds to me like you have the right attitude to stick at it and win through though.

Work on your composition and Google "Rule of thirds"

I look forward to seeing your next set.

If my technical shooting was passable, but the composition was poor, then I need to go and work on composing photos. Then I'll come back and see if I've improved.

I never said sorry, I just told it like I see it. But it's nothing a little practice can't fix.

although, i agree with the others the photos don't hold my interest. Sometimes photography is about taking photos of places that mean something to you.

However, in the first shot the road does lead you nicely up to the building. But the sky is blown, (an ND filter would help with this) and i can't decide if the branches are distracting or if they add interest.

The second shot although it shows how wasteful we humans an be, it lacks focus and the equipment is a bit far away.

If you search on here CT recently did an excellent explanation of the rule of thirds and using them to compose pictures. Have a read and go shoot some more pics.

As Hypnotic's comments, its difficult to see what you are trying to do with these.

The subject is very low key. You've given thought to composition in the first image but the subject matter makes if feel very ordinary.

The second image potentially is more interesting, with the machines which are clearly in the wrong place but the framing looks almost accidental: the angle of shot and a chair half in and half out of image.

A good shot so often seems to come from combining an idea with appropriate composition, lighting and content. With these images there seems to be an intention to say something but I think you need to be clear about this and push to really express it.

Not meaning to be overly critcal but to give an honest reaction.

Well those lathes are still there (been there three years...) I might have a go at producing something altogether better.

I've just spent an afternoon absorbing all of the collective thoughts of the internet on aesthetics and composition, I'll just spend the rest of my lifetime, interpreting and refining that to suit whatever my "style" develops into to.

First one is almost a composition :) Playing with the position of things in the frame could improve it a bit but what it really needs is a subject - something interesting at the end of the road your eye is led down.

Second one arouses the curiosity of the engineer in me... but I can't see the machine tools clearly enough :)

Back