Another "Which Lens" Question!

Edit My Images
Yes
I am considering moving from an EOS300 to one of the Canon digital SLR's...
I've not really decided which yet, but it will probably be either the new 400D or the 30D.

I currently have a Canon EF 55-200mm USM and a 28-105mm USM and also a Canon C-AF 2X mc7 tele convertor...

I believe all these will be usable with say a 30D body, but should I be looking to upgrade these to make the most of the image quality potential of the new body?

I am think that the first lens to buy is a more suitable wide angle, but which i don't know...This time around I would prefer to spend a bit more if it means better quality...

Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated..

Regards,

Pete

Your current lenses should work no problem as they are all EOS standard, not so sure about the extender as I dont recognize the designation - but if it works with your EOS300 then I dont see why it shouldnt work (although at an aperture above f5.6 you'll probably lose autofocus).

If its wide angle lenses you want the best two would probably be the the 17-40mm f4 L (expensive £450+), or the 16-35mm f2.8 L (very expensive £900+). However you can also get ultra-wide lenses such as the Canon EF-S 10-22mm (approx £500) and the Sigma 10-20mm (£270+).

Remember on most of these digital bodies you will get a crop factor typically of 1.6x, therefore a 16mm lens on your film body would equate to a 25.6mm on a 30D or similar Canon Digital SLR.

As an alternative to the EF lenses, I used a SIGMA 10-20mm DC EX on my 30d and, even allowing for the 16-32mm range the 1.6 crop created, the view was awesome. Just wish it would work on my 5D :(

I believe all these will be usable with say a 30D body,
Yes

but should I be looking to upgrade these to make the most of the image quality potential of the new body?
Not for the sake of it, no. I'd only bother upgrading if I wasn't happy with the results I was getting or couldn't get the shots I needed.

I am think that the first lens to buy is a more suitable wide angle,

More suitable for what?? I must be honest I'm not a fan of these super wide angle lenses, very rarely do I see anything which makes me think I'd like something along the lines of a 10-20 etc. Far too much distortion for my old eyes, but I can remember the days when 28mm was plenty wide enough. ;) Even my 17-40 is rarely used nowadays. Each to his/her own tho' :)

Thanks for the input folks...

I was considering a Sigma 10-20mm after seeing some of the stunning results on these boards, but a bit of research indicates that the quality can be a hit or miss. The concensus of opinion seems to be that get a good one, and its excellent, but get a bad one and they can be a dog optically. Its a real shame as every review I've read states its a solid well built lens...

As for the results I've achieved previously, (on my EOS 300) I've never been happy that they were as sharp as they could be..Now that maybe down to the lens or it could be down to me (more than likely!) but we'll see how things go when I switch to the digital body and a try to improve my techniques...

Back