(Another) Which lens to purchase first?

Name
Jen
Edit My Images
Yes
So, a couple of days ago I found out I have been awarded a 1st class for my Bachelors Degree and as a graduation present to myself I am looking to purchase a new lens for my Nikon D5000 but I have two in mind and can only afford one.

I'm hoping some of you wonderful lot can help me decide what to do.

I currently have a kit lens (18-55mm) and Tamron 70-300mm.

For months I have had my heart set on the Tamron 90mm. I am also interested in getting a wide angle lens at some point, but do not have the finances for one right now.

The other lens I'm looking at is the Nikkor 35mm f1.8 AF-S. I originally wanted a nifty fifty but didn't want to fork out the extra for the AF-S version. I feel the 35mm will be a good compromise as it is somewhat in the middle price wise.

In August I am going hillwalking in Scotland and so would like to be able to get some good landscape shots, so am wondering if the 35mm will be better suited for this. It will also leave me with enough money to get a decent backpack and maybe a filter or two.

BUT.. it isn't the Tamron 90mm.. and I do love macro photography. I know many say the Tamron is a good portrait/macro lens, but what are its capabilities for landscape work?

I'm in a real muddle here so I eagerly await your words of wisdom! :)

(Oh and apologies for the essay.. :bonk:)

I have the 35mm F1.8 AF-s (DX) and it is a great sharp lens. I would say it is a lot more suited to landscape than the 90mm. It'll be equiv to 50mm in "old money" pre digital days. Very sharp lens too and I have had some good results doing portraits with it too. Obviously not close crops but perfetct for children and that sort of thing.

I have the 50mm 1.8 too and find that a bit too tight a crop sometimes so have had good results with the 35mm.

It's probably my sharpest lens!

Also - your 18-55mm kit lens is a great landscape lens too. I underestimated mine, sold it when I got an 18-200mm and now am looking for another one. :)

It's true that 90mm is a good length for portraiture but that's on 35mm or full frame digital - on a crop sensor, I prefer 50mm.

I don't do that much Macro or portraiture but tend to use my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 when I do venture into those genres. For landscapes, I stick with wider angles or pick out more intimate details with a telephoto.

It sounds like you're trying to persuade yourself to get the Macro lens - just make sure that the copy you go for has a focus motor in it - mine's an older one and is screw driven (luckily, all my bodies have the in body AF motor).

I have the 35mm F1.8 AF-s (DX) and it is a great sharp lens. I would say it is a lot more suited to landscape than the 90mm. It'll be equiv to 50mm in "old money" pre digital days. Very sharp lens too and I have had some good results doing portraits with it too. Obviously not close crops but perfetct for children and that sort of thing.

I have the 50mm 1.8 too and find that a bit too tight a crop sometimes so have had good results with the 35mm.

It's probably my sharpest lens!

Also - your 18-55mm kit lens is a great landscape lens too. I underestimated mine, sold it when I got an 18-200mm and now am looking for another one. :)

Thank you, I think I am heading more towards getting the 35mm at the moment, particularly as I do like taking photos of the cats and general outdoors photos. I was thinking that a compromise might be to buy a Raynox DCR-250 so I can learn more about macro before emptying my pocket too quickly.

It's true that 90mm is a good length for portraiture but that's on 35mm or full frame digital - on a crop sensor, I prefer 50mm.

I don't do that much Macro or portraiture but tend to use my Tamron 90mm f/2.8 when I do venture into those genres. For landscapes, I stick with wider angles or pick out more intimate details with a telephoto.

It sounds like you're trying to persuade yourself to get the Macro lens - just make sure that the copy you go for has a focus motor in it - mine's an older one and is screw driven (luckily, all my bodies have the in body AF motor).

Yes, you are right, I am trying to persuade myself to get it! :nuts: But I do have a bad habit of wanting things I don't need and I'm wondering whilst I'm still learning about DoF etc. it may be more sensible to take a smaller step first by getting the 35mm which will be a good general purpose lens and buy a Raynox to get me started.

Oh and thank you for the tip, I have noted down the model number of the tamron with the focus motor.

No advice, but congratulations on your first! :clap: What subject??

:D Thank you!! :D My degree was in Animal Conservation & Biodiversity. I've just applied to go on and do a Masters in Applied GIS (Geographical Information Systems) now :naughty:

+1 for the 35mm. I love mine. That and the 18-200 are my standard kit these days. Buy it second hand - think they're about £120, so you can get that and the Raynox for the same price as a new lens.

Oh, and congrats on the degree! I dossed about and got a Desmond!

You don't say what your budget is for a new lens so advice is rather hard. So all I can suggest is the Nikon 12-24mm lens or as second choice the Sigma 10-20mm lens. Why? because this is a range of lens mm you don't already have covered.

Realspeed

+1 for the 35mm. I love mine. That and the 18-200 are my standard kit these days. Buy it second hand - think they're about £120, so you can get that and the Raynox for the same price as a new lens.

Thank you, I will certainly keep it in mind about buying second hand.

Oh, and congrats on the degree! I dossed about and got a Desmond!

Thank you!! :D (What is a Desmond?)

You don't say what your budget is for a new lens so advice is rather hard. So all I can suggest is the Nikon 12-24mm lens or as second choice the Sigma 10-20mm lens. Why? because this is a range of lens mm you don't already have covered.

Realspeed

Apologies, I should have made myself clearer. I don't want to spend more than £350 at the moment so I want to prioritise what I want to get first and what will get the most use first. But I do agree that I should look into getting a lens with a range that I do not already have. The Nikon is out of my price range, but the Sigma is a possibility as is the Tokina at a push.

What I am worried about is that if I spend £350 on a wide angle lens, its going to take me longer to save up another £350 to buy the macro, which is where my interest really lies. However, the 35mm will allow me (I hope?) to get some good landscape shots whilst I'm in Scotland (and pet pics etc.) and I can get the Raynox to try my hand at macro, and have money to spare which will allow me to save up for the Tamron macro or wide angle at a later date.

Does that sound logical? :thinking:

Congrats on the degree.
I dont know the nikon but yo said it in your last phrase,
"its going to take me longer to save up another £350 to buy the macro, which is where my interest really lies." go with what you want now. I sure that the 18-55 will cover the landscape whilst you save.

Congrats on the degree.
I dont know the nikon but yo said it in your last phrase,
"its going to take me longer to save up another £350 to buy the macro, which is where my interest really lies." go with what you want now. I sure that the 18-55 will cover the landscape whilst you save.

Thank you for your reply, I'm about to go into my local camera shop to have a look at the lenses so I think I'm just going to go with what feels right at the time :)

First of call, muchos congrats on the Damien (y)
The 'Desmond' is a 2.2 classification, after Desmond Tutu ;)

I would say the 35mm to start with all the way, it's a corker of a lens at most settings, and for the money you can't go wrong.
Regarding wide angle lenses, the Tokina 11-16mm (I have one for my D90) is very highly regarded as being one the best 'bang for buck' WA lenses available, but even they tend to go for ~£550 brand new!

I read alot first, thats what you have to do on a limited budget, and would say you need to say to yourself which would I use the most?
If the wide angle is going to be always on the camera get that. I think you get the idea.
Just a side note, I have just passed my DIPS 2/3rds through the maters so good luck with that.

+1 for the Nikon 35mm f1.8 it's an amazing lens and I find the focal length to be ideal for general walkabout stuff, kids, pets etc. I used to have a 50mm F1.4 but found it too long to used indoors on a crop sensor.

Cheers

Aled

tokina 11-16 - around 460 surely ?
I know, they don't have a stellar rep, but I am pretty sure this is where I got mine :D

Well worth it (see link in sig for pics or search flickr).

Tamron 90mm (at the same place lol) but for 265. Which might leave you just enough for a second hand 35mm f1.8 (if you are lucky) or buy brand new jessops/warehouseexpress for 165 - pick up in store at jeessops.

If you can - get both :) macro is great but sometimes you just want to get more in the pic :)

First of call, muchos congrats on the Damien (y)
The 'Desmond' is a 2.2 classification, after Desmond Tutu ;)

I would say the 35mm to start with all the way, it's a corker of a lens at most settings, and for the money you can't go wrong.
Regarding wide angle lenses, the Tokina 11-16mm (I have one for my D90) is very highly regarded as being one the best 'bang for buck' WA lenses available, but even they tend to go for ~£550 brand new!

Ahah! I haven't heard of that before! I like it! :LOL: Oh and thank you! :D

I read alot first, thats what you have to do on a limited budget, and would say you need to say to yourself which would I use the most?
If the wide angle is going to be always on the camera get that. I think you get the idea.
Just a side note, I have just passed my DIPS 2/3rds through the maters so good luck with that.

Thank you for the advice, I feel the macro will get used more. Thank you and congrats on your pass too! :D

+1 for the Nikon 35mm f1.8 it's an amazing lens and I find the focal length to be ideal for general walkabout stuff, kids, pets etc. I used to have a 50mm F1.4 but found it too long to used indoors on a crop sensor.

Cheers

Aled

Thanks for that, I have been thinking very hard about what I am going to use the most and what will be easier on the pocket overall. So, the macro is the winner for me.

tokina 11-16 - around 460 surely ?
I know, they don't have a stellar rep, but I am pretty sure this is where I got mine :D

Well worth it (see link in sig for pics or search flickr).

Tamron 90mm (at the same place lol) but for 265. Which might leave you just enough for a second hand 35mm f1.8 (if you are lucky) or buy brand new jessops/warehouseexpress for 165 - pick up in store at jeessops.

If you can - get both :) macro is great but sometimes you just want to get more in the pic :)

:puke: I just saw the price of the Tamron and was almost sick... and then I realised the company is in Hong Kong and had already decided not to go down that route. Thanks for the advice though.

SO... I just got back from Jacobs... with a Tamron 90mm!!! :D:D

Now, I'm off to go play with my new toy!!

Thank you everyone for the top advice, I really appreciate it!! :D

Enjoy it :clap:

Back