Another which Nikon camera sorry :(

Edit My Images
No
I've had my D40X for a while now and have really enjoyed getting used to taking proper photos and it's a great little camera, however I'm now thinking of taking a step up and am not sure if I should go second hand D200 or save a little more and buy a D90 :shrug:

Suppose my main concern with the D200 is I still sometimes use the preset modes on the D40X when in a hurry, which I don't think the D200 has, am I right in thinking this?

All thoughts welcome apart from buy a Canon :LOL:

Cheers
Darren

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a Canon :D

You are correct, the D200 has no scene modes.
I think with the D90 you'd be effectively getting the same camera, all except the video capture on the D90 and the scene modes.

Nobody can make your mind up for you, unfortunately, but all I can say is I'm still very much loving my D200!

I love my D200 too, I do struggle a little without having some point and click functionality but at the same time it 'forces' you to learn what you need to do to get a decent shot. It is a nicely balanced camera too with a grip and the whole package can be had fairly reasonably too (think there is one with grip for sale on the classifieds now http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=103235)

i wouldnt worry about scene modes after a few weeks on here and a bit of practise you'll never need them again (y)

I was in the same boat as you (D40 rather than D40x) and decided to go the D200 route (mainly for the ££ side to be totally honest).

I'm glad i did though, it feels like a real quality piece of kit. not having the scene modes hasn't caused my any issues and it stops me being lazy with my photography!

Thanks for the comments folks, serious thinking hat is now on :thinking:

Darren

Thanks for the comments folks, serious thinking hat is now on :thinking:

This is when you start thinking Canon eh? :LOL:

Good luck with your choice, and as stated before, don't let an absence of scene modes put you off any camera.

I've no experience with the D200, but having a D300 the funtions are pretty much the same. There is a 'P' mode that's a help if you need something quick, but aside from that I'd normally use the manual mode as it's straight forward and quick to get a good exposure.

True the D200 doesn't have a scene mode (that's not a bad thing), it does however have quick access memory banks that you can assign tons of settings for given situations. For example weddings, sports, indoors, etc.
I'm biased of course ;)

True the D200 doesn't have a scene mode (that's not a bad thing), it does however have quick access memory banks that you can assign tons of settings for given situations. For example weddings, sports, indoors, etc.
I'm biased of course ;)

I don't seem to get on very well with the memory banks feature.
It just confuses the hell out of me :shrug:
And it doesn't save any focus settings....... :cautious:

But that's another thread!!!

I find that the settings and menu system are very easy to use, and quick to access. So any important changes you need to do are really quick to do.
And for the really important stuff, there's a button on the body for it.

Something to consider is the D90 has the same sensor as the D300. That is a fantastic sensor! I think you should just ignore those scene modes and get used to A/S mode, and then start playing around with M.

Dare I say try both cameras if you can.

Back