Another......

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
My first DSLR Thread!

Looking at the Canon 450D is it worth the extra cost over the 400D also I like the fact that it is SD Memory card as I have a few of these already but is CF the better memory of the two or is it much the same?

Another option is the Nikon D60 I was told this is the newer version of the D40x ?? I really liked the feel of this however the guy in the shop recommends the canon for newbie as its ease of use? What you guys feel advice?!

Hi andy and welcome :wave:

If you look at many of the other "my first DSLR" posts one of the most common suggestions is to get a camera the feels right in your hand.

I would imagine that the salesman is a Canon user so is better able to opperate the Canon, he would probably say the opposite if he was a Nikon user. TBH both are as easy to use as each other and will become second nature to you.

Remember that when you buy your first DSLR you are buying more than a camera; you are making the first investment in a system of lenses and accessories.

As for the CF vs SD question, I wouldn't worry both are about the same.

Like Simon says, the Canon and Nikon will both get the job done. It really is best to try them both for yourself. I preferred the ergonomics of the Canon; Simon apparently didn't. Each to their own.

In Canon-land, here's a summary of the main improvements that the 450D boasts over the 400D in terms of specification, according to DP Review:
  • 12MP vs 10MP
  • Slightly more powerful onboard flash
  • Exposure compensation up to +/- 3EV vs +/- 2EV
  • Spot metering
  • 3.5 frames per second vs 3.0
  • Larger viewfinder (0.87x vs 0.8x)
  • Brighter and larger LCD (3.0" vs 2.5")
  • Live View
  • Image Stabilisation in the kit lens
Are those worth paying for? Depends. To my mind none of them is compelling, but overall it's a good package, and there's something there for everyone. Try them both as a beginner and you'll notice the viewfinder and the LCD (and of course the Live View gimmick). A more experienced user would appreciate the +/- 3EV compensation and the spot metering.

According to Camera Price Buster you can pick up the 450D body-only for £449 vs £345 for the 400D, which on the one hand is only £104 more and on the other hand is 30% more. With a kit lens, the difference is more marked - £529 vs £360, which is £169 or nearly 50% more.

Back