Ansel Adams

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Just to let you all know that I have posted details on the Landscape Forum about a Major exhibition of Ansel Adams images in Edinburgh

Ansel who??

:D:exit:

Hi all , I went to the exhibition today 150 plus images they really blow you away .
Unbeleavable front to back focus over landscapes of god knows how many square miles.
It really has made me look at my landscapes in a new light.

Should we post our thoughts on the exhibition or not?

either way is a bit pretentious but at least saying what you think honestly has value.

I must try and give the exhibition a visit, after all it's less than 15 mins away from my house. I don't know much about the guy but from the messages here he sounds like a legend in photography.

Go for it Sharkey, I've not had a chance to get there yet and it won't affect my decision to go but I'm still very interested in other peoples views.

Ihad the great good fortune to attend one of his courses in california over 30 years ago. He was an old man by then and clearly didn't need the money or the hassle of that sort of work. He taught because he loved photography and just wanted to others to be able to share his feelings.

The students were a mixture of pros and amateurs. One day we went out to do some 35mm location work. I arrived with my trusty M3 and 2WA lenses. Most of the other pros had a similar amount of kit. We took the mickey out of the amateurs, most of whom had at least 4 lenses and 2 cameras. Mr Adams had a battered Zeiss Contax with 50mm lens. No prizes for working out who took the best pictures.

The most amazing thing about him was his ability to visualise pictures and use his zone system to get the result he wanted. He would stand in front of a view and tell us whatwould be in focus and what would not. he would point to a shadow and say that there would just a trace of detail in that specific shadow. He would do the same for a specific highlight. It always worked out just as he said it would.

The amazing quality of his photographs was responsible for changing public opinion inthe US and led to many areas being designated as National Parks. After his death in 1984 an 11,000 ft mountain was named after him. Mount Ansel Adams can be found inthe Sierra nevada.

If anybody here ever visits the Yosemite national Park in the US be sure to visit the Ansel Adams Gallery there.

Go for it Sharkey, I've not had a chance to get there yet and it won't affect my decision to go but I'm still very interested in other peoples views.

OK. Thanks for the encouragement. But it will be a time thing - gotta get the words to match the thinking first.

Which by the way was one of my real downers at the show. The language used.

I'll try to put it all down later.

Thanks for sharing that JohnW I found it very interesting.

I remember chatting with a chap who was fortunate enough to have attended one of Garry Winogrand's courses many years ago and it was immediately obvious how much of a profound impact it had made on him and the way he thought about photography and people. Much as Ansel Adams probably had on you and landscapes.

It does make you sit back and reflect on whether it really is a bygone age and I struggle to think of any contemporary photographers who are as influential, these days it all seems derivative somehow.

Much as Ansel Adams probably had on you and landscapes.
I realised just how poor my photographs were. Even the ones that sold for good prices.

After the course with him I concentrated much more on technical/scientific work. Which improved beyond measure by the application of what I had been taught. Problem is I lack the "eye" or whatever you want to call it that he had.

I did continue with landscape photography (and still do 20+ years after his death) but almost always for my own interest and no longer for sale.

Back