Ant @ 7:1

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Ant shot on Grape with the MP-E65mm and Kenko 1.4X teleconverter - Click to view large -(its worth the wait :D). All C&C welcome.

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Focal length: 65*mm
Aperture: F11
Exposure time: 1/80"
ISO speed rating: 200/24°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode

Last edited:
Wow!! Stunning macro. Excellent detail, and nice colours. Nicely lit too. What kind of flash were you using?

Wow!! Stunning macro. Excellent detail, and nice colours. Nicely lit too. What kind of flash were you using?

Thanks - I was using a Canon MT-24EX flash with my MK 127.5B Blue Peter diffuser's.

Simply stunning detail. Really well lit

Thanks

Cracking shot Paul, I'm guessing you've had to crop very little as I bet hye nearly filled the frame??

Thanks Carl - I had to just take a little of the outer edge out as you can see the converter.

Show off :razz:

Seriously though, they're both awesome (y). I struggle to get things in focus at 1:1 :LOL:

Chris

Fantastic

I know how hard this lens is to use at 5:1

I never managed depth of focus that deep - I'd be lucky to get enough depth of focus for a single eye as I was having to shoot wide open due to no flash. The only time I could use small apertures was with dead things as they didn't move and I could use a longer exposure on a tripod.

Cheers for the comments (y)

Wow, what aperture do you need to get that DOF?

Amazing work...

F11 - there's not really a lot of DOF its just the subjects magnified massively , in the first photo you can see that the antennas OOF then you've got the eye in focus but when you get to the other side of its head its going again - so the DOF is about the width of an ants head.

Aperture: F11
details at top of post mate :)

Nice pics... how many did you fire off to find the magic ones in focus or was it quite easy to get the in-focus shots?
Must have been pretty hard at that magnification!

As long as they don't move its relativity easy to focus, i took about 10 shots in different positions and probably 8 of those were usable, the hardest part is actually finding the ant in the viewfinder to start with :eek:........I've just had lots and lots of practice.

Stunning shots Paul :clap:

Back