Anti-BNP Protest

Name
Rob Miller
Edit My Images
No
I headed down to cover the anti-BNP protest at the BNP's national conference in Blackpool, and I decided to have a play with an audio slideshow for the first time. What do you guys think?

http://rmiller.co.uk/bnp/

works well, i really like it, the pictures are well taken too...

good solid set of pics and i must admit ive never seen one of these with just natural narration as accompaniment to stills makes for a sound piece of work and documentation of the day.

Wow - great set of expressive images, I wish I was more aware of protests like this going on, there really is nothing I hate more in this world than the BNP and all that they stand for.

The pictures all work really well in black and white, you've captured the emotion of pretty much every individual pictured, it's really good, great documentary photography :)

I also really like the audio player, the page looks really simple and clean and allows all focus to go to the images themselves, I like it alot! How did you do it?

Selkie x

Wow ! I think they all work , but a standout for me, is the woman with the megaphone (i think number 14)
they are so, in the action and clear, I really think they are top draw stuff mate.

Last edited:
There are some really fantastic shots there, I really like the first one, I could see it (and quite a few of the others) in the Sunday supplements. Well done (y)

Thanks guys :)

I also really like the audio player, the page looks really simple and clean and allows all focus to go to the images themselves, I like it alot! How did you do it?

It's called SoundSlides (~£25), it's the industry standard (see some examples here) and it's really easy to use. The hardest part for most people is sorting out the sound, since you need a separate audio editing program to do it: I use Audacity.

Thanks guys :)

It's called SoundSlides (~£25), it's the industry standard (see some examples here) and it's really easy to use. The hardest part for most people is sorting out the sound, since you need a separate audio editing program to do it: I use Audacity.

Well I already have Audacity so I guess I'm almost there lol.
I think they look really good.
Thank you :)

Slideshow works well and some really crisp shots. Which camera/lens were you using?

Last edited:
Well dude dude :), some rly good images there.

Fantastic reportage and a really interesting presentation, the audio adds a very interesting dimension, a nice convergence of media rob. (y)

If only we had some way to record moving images too :thinking:

If only we had some way to record moving images too :thinking:

For what it's worth, I feel like this medium combines the immersive nature and the atmosphere of a video with the power of still images---it's the best of both worlds, and I'd rather do it than video :)

I agree, perhaps I need to punctuate irony a little more strongly in future.

good shots... that looks nothing like the only anti-nazi protest i have ever been on, where is the tear gass?

good shots... that looks nothing like the only anti-nazi protest i have ever been on, where is the tear gass?

The police were very restrained, they forced the hotel to keep the curtains shut (to stop any interaction between BNP members and the protestors, which has apparently been problematic before) and were generally considerate, despite getting some abuse from some protestors--which I thought was quite odd, given that the police presence was probably the sole reason they weren't getting their heads kicked in by the BNP.

Fantastic pictures and a very moving, emotive soundtrack.

I think saying i enjoyed it would be the wrong words to use, but I was hooked on it from start to finish.

Aye, very colourful but the soundtrack definitely adds to the pics.

That's excellent mate. I've only seen one of this kinda thing before, and it involved a commentary from a guy who new sweet FA. But the use of diegetic sound really won this for me. Great slideshow.

Back