Any AV types in the house?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - I need some advice about AV specifically about my rather old Bush 17" LCD TV which appears to have died - For the last few months it was starting up with a 1" bar along the right hand side (flickered but went away after a minute or two) - now it just goes to a blank (black) screen altough the audio works - I have tried changing the scart & the DVD player doesn't work either & it is connected via component leads - I tried hooking it up to my Sky+ in another room & still nada / nothing / **** all ...
So is it worth repairing?
Indeed can you repair an LCD TV?
If its a bin job I was looking at an LG (model 19LS4R 19" HD ready) from Richer Sounds for £249 or £279 with 5 year panel protection - last question is the RS panel protection worth the money? (seems like a no brainer for only 10% of the LCD price?)
TIA ... Paul ;)

Does sound like a component failure - I have an LCD monitor with a green line down it which I suspect is one of the drivers failed.

If you shine a light on the screen can you see any images at all? Just wondering if it's the backlight that's failed instead of the panel/controller.

If you could find another identical model advertised as being for spares or repairs to rob the board out of then it might be worth doing a change-over, but otherwise it's probably just going to have to be binned.

Do Richer Sounds still do the warranty whereby if you don't use it you get your money back after the 3 years? Definitely worth doing if so.

Does sound like a component failure - I have an LCD monitor with a green line down it which I suspect is one of the drivers failed.

If you shine a light on the screen can you see any images at all? Just wondering if it's the backlight that's failed instead of the panel/controller.

If you could find another identical model advertised as being for spares or repairs to rob the board out of then it might be worth doing a change-over, but otherwise it's probably just going to have to be binned.

Do Richer Sounds still do the warranty whereby if you don't use it you get your money back after the 3 years? Definitely worth doing if so.

Thanks for that markp (y) I'll check out the backlight - I wouldn't buy another one for spares etc being the opposite of gifted in repairing such things - The warranty for the panels that RS do isn't like their other one on normal kit (Supercare?) where you get your money back but for 10% must be worth getting (?)
Paul ;)

You want to buy a 40" 1080p panel and a bluray player

/jedi mindtrick off

You want to buy a 40" 1080p panel and a bluray player

/jedi mindtrick off

40" in the bedroom :naughty: isn't going to happen matty - wifey would have my danglies as earrings :LOL:

Its not the backlight so a trip to RS may be on the cards :woot:

Paul (y)

John Lewis price match and all their tv's come with a 5 year warranty as standard.

Note, with 5yr 'protection' you need to pay and claim back as it's insurance not a true guarantee, the John Lewis 5yr guarantee is just that I think.

John Lewis state on their website "We'll provide the repair service without charge up to a cost equal to the original purchase price paid for the product."

Thanks for the info & advice everyone - I have been to RS now & got the LG 19" & their Panel Protection - I have had great service from my local RS branch & feel happier that if anything went wrong I can drive there & sort things out rather than buying online & having to ship or wait in for collection etc
The LG is sweet great pq etc
Paul ;)

Back