Any ideas of cost of D700 in duty free stateside? (or where to find out)

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Potentially this should be in the shopping section?

Anyway found out (Im so well informed) that gf's sister is in LA and while shops there don't have the D700 as cheap as i had hoped I wondered if there is anyway to find out how much they'd be in duty free?

I know there are implications such as warranty and import tax (VAT too?) so it was to see if it's worth it or just save my pennies up for a UK one.

*Disclaimer: I know a new camera won't improve my photography, my flickr is testament to that. I also know I'm being v tight about buying one 2nd hand here. And finally, yes it is an obsession.

With the currency situation, tax and lack of warranty I fail to see what benefit you'd get over getting a D700 from UK duty free. :shrug:

I have never seen anything significantly cheaper, if at all, in a duty free shop than that which can be bought off the internet. Almost all the time it's more expensive. They will quote massive savings but that's off the full high street price.

Well, B&H will relieve you of $2999.95, with a $300 instant rebate, so a total payable of $2699.95, which at today's exchange rate (according to xe.com) is £1,823.47, Dixon's Tax Free UK price is £1,564.41....

Well, B&H will relieve you of $2999.95, with a $300 instant rebate, so a total payable of $2699.95, which at today's exchange rate (according to xe.com) is £1,823.47, Dixon's Tax Free UK price is £1,564.41....

But then he's got to bring it back and import it in to his home country.....

cheers all that's what i was expecting to hear but thought i should check. phew! means i can carry on saving without feeling im missing out on a good deal

Don't be silly. You have to be mad (and i mean stark raving bonkers) if you pay duty on things you buy for your own personal use.

Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying I'm silly and don't know what I'm talking about (I usually do when I put something down in writing) or one would be silly to follow the legal path and pay import duty/tax?

Back