Any Linhof 4 x 5 SHOOTERS / OWNERS AROUND?

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone...

Well?

Anyone out there?

Would like to discuss lenses and techniques.

Cheers!

Also a 5x4 shooter, but not Linhof. The technique is all generic and the lenses are all entirely interchangeable so you needn't limit yourself to only talking to other Linhof shooters

I've had a Toyo 4x5 sitting in my hall for a little while now, I'm still trying to find the time to work out how to actually use it.

Maybe we could arrange a 'large format' meeting

I may be bringing my LF gear to the London meet anyway Nick depending on what gets planned, so we could show all the medium format users what a real film camera looks like :D

I was going to buy a medium format camera (RB67 probably) but ended up accidentally buying a Cambo 4X5 (and 120back so its kinda medium format :))

Cheers everyone!

I am negotiating (still!!;) a Linhof and 2 x Pentax 67 deal with a retired togger.

Can't wait to start playing with real photography again!

I do find the LF lenses a bit bewildering but abso-frikkin-lutely fascinaring all the same!

Will let you guys know when the toys come home to daddy...

Just curious though, is it proper to photograph real cameras with digital?:D:nuts::p

Quick intro to 5x4 lenses

1.5x4 lenses are roughly 3x 35mm, so 50mm on 35mm is 150mm on 5x4.
2. Lenses usually come with shutters (if buying 2nd hand), either copal 0,1,2, or 3 with 0 the smallest going up to 3 which is the largest. Copal shutters are expensive on there own so try and get one with the lens.
3. If lens comes without the correct lens board then you will need one to correspond with the size of the shutter, you will also require a lens wrench to fit the shutter to the board.

I've been starting to play with my 5x4 more and more of late. I love it to bits but it has quirks and its not easy to get along with. When I get a resonalbe image out of it I'm so chuffed. Its hard work but very rewarding. I want a field 5x4 now so I can go out and about more easily.

Mart

Awesome, thanks Ed!

Excuse me for coming back to Linhof but that is what I am getting and so that is what I will be going with.

I see they have "Compur" SHUTTERS...what is the numbers versus size thing, can you tell me a bit more?

Ta!

I may be bringing my LF gear to the London meet anyway Nick depending on what gets planned, so we could show all the medium format users what a real film camera looks like :D

:razz::razz::razz:

:D:LOL::LOL:

Anyone sponsoring me a plane ticket for this event?

I don't think I could lug my Toyo into central London from Ealing let alone the tripod I've got for it. I think I'll have to settle for the RZ67 and my newly aquired FM2. Oh and maybe the Smena, or the Clack, or the Zorki :bang: Too many choices.

I know what you mean, too many choices about what to take. Mine is actually a 5x7 wooden field camera, but it's surprisingly light, and I find no worse to carry around than a DSLR all day. The kit consists of:

camera, 90mm and 210mm lenses with 5 film holders, filters, meter, change bag and extra film just in case and tripod

Not exactly stealthy, but against some of the stuff the digi guys lug around in their giant backpacks I quite often feel like I'm travelling light (if you've ever seen EdinburghGary in full lansdcape mode you'll know what I mean)

Main difference is Compur shutters are more expensive and they have 1/2 or 1/3rd stop clicks for the aperture.

Back