Any Nikon + Mac users out there?

antonroland

Inspector Gadget
Name
Anton
Edit My Images
Yes
As above really...I would like to hear from any folks who shoot Nikon (preferably D3 or D700) and who use Mac to edit.

Also what software you use, Aperture, Photoshop,both and your general opinions, pros and cons?

Cheers all!(y)

Photoshop CS2 on my eMac and Macbook Pro. Runs well, has all the features I need and processes raw files without any hassle at all. Have just started using NX Capture but find it not as intuitive – will keep plugging away with it though – and I have Aperture but again, haven't really got to grips with it yet because PS does everying I need.

Never had a problem processing any .NEF files through Photoshop, which is why I like it (plus I've been using it since V2) and the results are very good – my work usually goes DPS in magazines so that's good enough for me. Dedicated raw processing software may give you better results but if so, I haven't been able to tell.

I have a D300 and a MacPro (desktop)

I shoot NEF most of the time. Uploads and tweaks using Lightroom, big edits using Photoshop CS4

I only have a D40x but I use a mac[Macbook]. Photoshop CS2 to edit. I too shoot NEF, I do everything, completely everything in Photoshop and tbh I couldn't be happier. Have set up a few 'actions' in PS and away I go.

But then again , I do love my Nikon, and I do love my mac :D :LOL:

I have a D3, D200 and a macbook pro with 4GB ram.
Software is lightroom and CS4.

I couldn't be more satisfied to be honest, the combination is reliable, fast and extremely effective.

I also switched to Nikon from Canon last Summer and haven't regretted it one bit. Basically, I found my brand, I'm much happier and far more confident in my systems capability.

Initially there's a small hurdle to hop over concerning the fact that the XMP sidecar file that accompany NEF files will not be read by any other software than the proprietary NX2, (only applicable if your workflow excludes the use of NX2).

However, there are alternatives with Adobe camera profiles that replicate the in camera profiles such as standard, vivid, portrait and neutral etc. These come in handy when trying to determine the better foundation tones before processing the NEF.

Cheers Specialman and thanks for the response.

If/when I cross over to the dark side I will be a bit cash strapped for a while but my home and laptop pc both are in need of serious upgrade so I would like to consider going Mac at this stage as, either way, I will be even more broke after that!:LOL:

Anton, since 1994 I've used macs to edit images and have never found them to be anything but perfect for the job. Don't get me wrong, Photoshop on a PC is 99.9% the same (apart from the actual look) but I find that, for me, Macs just seem to be able to handle the files better when they're massive. That said, a high-end PC with a loadf of RAM will, I'm sure, be just as good.

I just think you ge a better package with a Mac and the actual useability of the hardware is what swings it for me - my MBP starts up and is redy to go in about 15 seconds and my eMac ain't that sluggish either, and that's a five-year-old machine. The same can't be said for my folks' nearly-new Dell, which obvioulsy suffers from the usual costcuttting that happens to make sure a PC hits a certain price bracket. A Mac will always cost more but everyhing is designed to work as one, not bought in because it's the right price. Buy a G5 for a few hundred of ebay and it'll run miles faster than a PC of the same age.

Plus, the new screens on MBP and iMacs are sexy as anything :)

Anton, since 1994 I've used macs to edit images and have never found them to be anything but perfect for the job. Don't get me wrong, Photoshop on a PC is 99.9% the same (apart from the actual look) but I find that, for me, Macs just seem to be able to handle the files better when they're massive. That said, a high-end PC with a loadf of RAM will, I'm sure, be just as good.

I just think you ge a better package with a Mac and the actual useability of the hardware is what swings it for me - my MBP starts up and is redy to go in about 15 seconds and my eMac ain't that sluggish either, and that's a five-year-old machine. The same can't be said for my folks' nearly-new Dell, which obvioulsy suffers from the usual costcuttting that happens to make sure a PC hits a certain price bracket. A Mac will always cost more but everyhing is designed to work as one, not bought in because it's the right price. Buy a G5 for a few hundred of ebay and it'll run miles faster than a PC of the same age.

Plus, the new screens on MBP and iMacs are sexy as anything :)

Specialman, thanks, confirmation yet again of what I believed to be the case.

To all others who responded here, thanks very much for your inputs, highly appreciated(y)(y)

Yes, and I'd never go back to a PC. I use an iMac 20" with a second 20" Cinema Display and Lightroom 2, and a Macbook for when I'm out and about.

Another thumbs up here! D3 and D700 files - both processed comfortably with CS4 on 24", 4Gb imacs. :) I am another bod who'd never go back to a PC now. I don't think you'll have any regrets about the jump, if/when you make it. ;)

I have a D40x and I have used a number of programmes mainly due to testing with my Fuji S5. The best way to process a Nikon RAW file is to us Capture NX2 without a doubt, IMO the key is to convert the NEF and ensure the best colour rendition possible. I then PP a TIFF in PS3 if necessary

Back