Any one used the 1D MkII(N) and the MkIII?

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
And if so, which do you prefer and why? Not expecting a huge amount of replies :p

mk2n

only just got it but i love the feel. the iso handling. the weight

just feels good..
not much help i know but hey ive not had it long..

md(y)

I have the lll, but came from a 5D don't know if that's any help

Be interested myself with any feedback on this one :)

You thinking of a MKIII dod?

I have used Mk2N's previously but now moved to MKIII and certainly haven't regretted it. 10fps and (now that they have been back to Canon) the autofocus alone made it a worthwhile move.

Thats only my opinion though :shrug:

I have used Mk2N's previously but now moved to MKIII and certainly haven't regretted it. 10fps and (now that they have been back to Canon) the autofocus alone made it a worthwhile move.

Thanks :) How much of a difference is there in the handling between the two of them Arron?

Be interested myself with any feedback on this one :)

You thinking of a MKIII dod?
Maybe, maybe not. I like the image quality you seem to get from them, looks like a real step on from the MkII.

Having said that there's nothing really wrong with the image quality of the MkII. A second body would be a real benefit to me much of the time but not if it's like working a totally different camera. Second hand MKII's (N or non N) are beginning to look really good value now, not sure.

Dod, there's a Canon document giving the cf equivalents on the 2 cameras. Do you have that, if not I'll send the pdf tomorrow.
I am assuming you've used the 2N, and want to see the differences.
I have just moved from a Ds mk1 to a mk3, and there's quite a difference, mk3 much more sophisticated in terms of AF functions, and of course the bigger screen and live view are excellent.

What a coincidence:eek: i got one today..not had time yet to try it properley,just been playing and fiddling:nuts: think im gonna like this beast..and a beast it is..if the weather is ok tomorrow i will have a stroll along the sefront at Southend with it :wave:

Thanks George, I'm reasonably well clued up on the differences, that's not so much what I'm interested in really. It's more how different does the MkIII handle to the MkII (N). Should have made that clear originally :( I've got a MkII, that's why I'm interested :)

I bought the Mk3 back in July/August, now it's been back to Canon, I'm pretty happy with it. Not sure it's 100% but then it's a very complicated camera to set up (more so than the Mk2) and until I've had a proper weekend of heavy duty photoing and chimping I'll not be 100%! However, the feel of it is very much like the Mk2. The menu structures are totally different but you do get used to that!

I'd suggest hiring one for a weekend and go shoot with both, then you can properly decide, I doubt we'll make your mind up! See if you can get a deal where if you buy the camera, they'll discount the hire price off the camera!?!

Cheers,
Carl.

I have 3 years use on my 1dmk2 but had use of the mk3 for a day and my 1d walked all over it(y) it needed the fix:bonk:. so I got a 1dsmk2 instead.I went that way because
the 1dsmk2 is giving me something I dident have ie full frame and 16.7mp.If the mk3 had been a good one I think I would have got one and ended up having 2 body's that basically do the same thing.I did like the mk3 , it felt better in the hand than the mk2, I think the controls are better than the mk2, the battery meter is also better than the mk2. 10FPS compared to 8.5 is no big deal nor is the 8MP to 10MP.This is just my view on the camera.

I bought the Mk3 back in July/August, now it's been back to Canon, I'm pretty happy with it. Not sure it's 100% but then it's a very complicated camera to set up (more so than the Mk2) and until I've had a proper weekend of heavy duty photoing and chimping I'll not be 100%! However, the feel of it is very much like the Mk2. The menu structures are totally different but you do get used to that!

I'd suggest hiring one for a weekend and go shoot with both, then you can properly decide, I doubt we'll make your mind up! See if you can get a deal where if you buy the camera, they'll discount the hire price off the camera!?!

Cheers,
Carl.
Bring it to the next race carl.;)

add my 2p
I have owned the N since they were introduced a couple of years ago (Nov 05) to be precise
and it is without doubt the best Camera I have ever owned... it has worked flawlessly since day one
it made my now gone 20d seem like a 'slow old poorly dog' the autofocus is just miles better
moving on I have just bought a new 40D as a 2nd body, after everyone has been raving on about it
well its a nice camera, but it not in the same league for speed or buffer, the area where it does win over my N is the big rear LCD - the live view, and the sensor cleaning setup - which does work (so far)

I was surprized at how much faster the N is over the 40d

the 1dmk3 looks to be a fabulous bit of kit.. and obviously has all the new features that the 40D has, but I wont be getting a mk3 as I dont see a huge jump over what my N already gives me
so when the next 1 series sports camera comes out in 18 months or so - I will then part with my tried and tested N
my 2p
cheers Chris

Got the 1DSMK11 a 1DMK11N and just got the 1DMK111 today and love them all. No AF problems yet with the MK111 just some great shots today. Tried posting a few on the site but having problems with the upload. I like the 1DMK111 that much already I am thinking of selling the 1DSMK11 and getting another 1DMK111 and using the two with my 1DMK11N. They are all great cameras, that just need a bit of work in the settings to get the best out of them.

I have a 1dmk2n and have tried several pre and post repair 1dmk3 I woulnt touch the mk3 for my surfing stuff as i couldnt get a high enough in focus rate compared to the mk2n, I see no point in changing from a mk2n to mk3. I will me keeping my 2 mk2n's.

I have posted my observations on the forum when I have tried them and what i experienced when shooting mk2n and mk3 on the same day at comps, and with the mk3 on its own.

I just cant see why I would risk loosing shots to faulty kit, when i dont have too.

The 1dmk3 compared to the 1dsmk3 is totally diffrent never had a focus issue with the 1dsmk3, but then again its a diffrent job all together.

Dod,

They are both superb and handle well, but the III handles better as Canon moved the ISO button to the right of the body so you can change your ISO with you right hand only, much quicker to change on the fly. Also, the PQ of the III is way better than the N especially at 400 plus ISO. However, make sure you get a good one if you decide on a III. Was working on the weekend with a well respected hack who has had 9, yes 9 bodies and recently took Canon to court via trading standards. Needless to say, he is 110% Nikon now.

D.

Back