Anybody recommend a good tripod

Vic

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

I am looking to buy a good quality tripod. I bought one on a students budget from ebay last year but a swear if you even breathe too heavy it moves. I'd also like one that would allow me to do some landscapes using stitching, is it a pan and tilt I need?

Also bear in mind I am just a small lass so the weight might be a factor as well!

Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Vic, I know Redsnapper will get lots of votes here but as an alternative have a look at the Manfrotto 190 range which will be quite adequate for a 400D + small to medium zoom. If you think you may want something even more sturdy or intend to upgrade to a larger camera in the future, the 055 range of tripod are also very good value in my opinion. Price does come into the equation of course inasmuch if your looking for lightness plus strength you'll be looking at carbon fibre tripod and these are much more expensive than aluminium ones. As regards a head, I personally find three way pan a tilt a pain in the rear end but that's just me. The Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head is an excellent head for the money and it has a pan control separate from the ball mechanism making it good for landscape panos.

I'd second the 190 Manfrotto, the 055 is quite a heavy old thing, I found it a bit much to be lugging about and I'm not exactly small :LOL:

Vic, there have been so many posts here asking the same question and it's a huge subject. Just do a search using 'tripod'.

Unfortunately, lightweight but still stable usually means expensive. In all honesty, given your poor student status, you'd probably do well to have a look at Redsnapper Tripods, great build quality at a reasonable price and you get a discount if you order through TPF. :)

Either a ball head with pan facility or a pan and tilt head will enable you to do landscape stitching shots - it's largely a matter of personal preference.

Hope that helps?

Just to add to the above, there are three key points when choosing a tripod, 1) Stability 2) Weight 3) Price. The one problem is that no matter which combination you try you'll only ever get two of those points with any tripod.

So, if you've identified weight as being the key factor for you, you'll then have to decide whether you want to compromise on stability or price.

I'd echo the recommendation for a Manfrotto. I got an 055 Pro for xmas and the fact that the centre column will easily switch to the horazontal is brilliant. If the 190 is lighter than the 055 you may want to look at the 190 Pro for the same feature, or one of the cheaper 190's if you're not that bothered about it.

As already said, a lot depends on budget.
Carbon fibre 'pods tend to be lighter than their aluminium counterparts, but more expensive. I've been through more 'pods than I will ever admit to, but was lucky to come into some money and invested in a Gitzo, which I love.
Pan and tilt heads tend, in general, to be heavier than ballheads. I moved over to a ballhead last year and have got used to it now, but it isn't for everyone. It does take practice to get used to adjusting one. Look for one with a separate rotate lock, if you decide on a ballhead, as you have more control.

I have a Manfrotto 055 which I use for macro and still life but have recently bought a Redsnapper with ball head for travelling. It's a very well built tripod and at a great price, it gets my personal recommendation.

Gary

Back