Anyone actually us e the Canon 7-300 USM IS DO ??

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been looking at reviews of the Canon 70-300 USM IS DO zoom. Many of these say that it is soft at 300 mm. and even go so far as to say it is rubbish

Reviews are useful but can tend to hypercritical. Does anyone one here actually own one of these and what do you think about it.

Don't own one but I think it's optically identical to it's cheaper brothers so read some of the reviews of those too. It's pretty much a given that cheaper end zooms tend to be soft at the long end, if you buy one keep that in mind and don't expect perfection.

I have one but it is up for sale at the moment. I like it but don't use it now I have a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 300 f/2.8 prime.

DOs are strange. They can look a bit soft off camera - but most images do off the 1D. They sharpen well though. The other thing is that it is a much more substantial lens than the cheaper ones. Really quite sturdy.

I can dig out some crops if you want...

If you have something straight from the camera and then processed as a comparison that would be very interesting

Thanks

I will give you £50 for it :LOL:

Mate uses one and despite having the 70-200 he won't sell it. He uses it when he doesn't want the attention a 'white' gives you or wants to carry less. Have used it and it is a very nice lens.

Don't own one but I think it's optically identical to it's cheaper brothers so read some of the reviews of those too. It's pretty much a given that cheaper end zooms tend to be soft at the long end, if you buy one keep that in mind and don't expect perfection.
I think you've got your wires crossed somewhere, Steep.

The 70-300mm DO costs £750+, so it's not a cheap zoom by any stretch. Optically it has nothing whatsoever in common with any other Canon zoom - the "DO" is the clue there.

The reviews I've seen of the DO lenses say that they produce images that need a bit of PP, but if you shoot RAW and are prepared to put in the effort then they can be very good indeed. (And of course they're very compact, which is the whole point.)

Back