Beginner Anyone claimed on home insurance for camera equipment what happened to your premium next year?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am debating whether to take out separate camera insurance which would cover around £600's worth of gear.

I am afraid if i rely on my home insurance and anything happened the next year my premium would go through the roof and i will have lost no claims bonus on top of that.

Anyone claimed on their home insurance and able to state how much it went up by the next year because of it?

Thanks

Does no claims bonus actually apply to home/household insurance? Never seen it mentioned on my renewal.

I got my LX100 stolen while abroad. The insurance company telephoned me the next day and after a few questions agreed to replace the camera like for like. My premium never increased.

I got my LX100 stolen while abroad. The insurance company telephoned me the next day and after a few questions agreed to replace the camera like for like. My premium never increased.

Thanks for info was this through home insurance or a 3rd party insurance company?

I left my Swarovski binocular on the car roof and never realised until home, never found them.
Home insurance paid out without fuss on getting a copy of receipt for same, I had them itemised as a high value item on the policy, iirc it didn't make much difference to the next renewal.

I think they tend to go on patterns rather than individual claims.

Someone who claims a broken laptop every year when it gets accidentally thrown down the stairs is going to be higher risk than someone who loses a camera on holiday.

I claimed my D700 which died due to weather and it didn't noticeably affect our premium.

I had lost/misplaced some Olympus kit that you couldn't buy new anymore. A quick call later and they had replaced it. Admittedly with a "low/mid range" canon but due to age difference it was like having similar if not a better body. They replaced the lens so with a lovely piece that was probably a better fit too which was nice of them. My premium for the year went up. By a whole 66pence! Never made a claim for anything before and hopefully will never have to again. This was 2+ Years ago now.

They asked for receipts which I didn't have however I did have the boxes with serial numbers on. They never did collect them so perhaps were just making sure of the legitimacy of the claim.

They ask if you have claimed in the last 5 years on quite a few
This doesn't mean they are offering a No Claims Discount though. They just like to know your claims history to determine the type of risk you are (like if you have made 20 claims in that time they will either load your premium or just decline your business, for example). Also, if you fail to declare any previous claims, they are likely to refuse payment on any subsequent claims on the basis of 'non-disclosure'.

Insured with nationwide. Some low life smashed into hire car and stole my camera bag complete with contents (except camera). All items replaced via wex. No premium loading, though tbh they are not cheap anyway

Had a bit of a nightmare time: Claimed for a D610 and 70-300vr, then my wife broke her iPhone 6S about a day after getting it.

Our premium went up about £80+added £100 voluntary excess. Not too bad considering going the cost.

Even with a separate policy covering your camera, you'd still need to inform your house insurance company if you make a claim on the other policy

Back