Anyone done Interrailling? Europe?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Some of you may be aware that I am going round Europe Interrailling in the summer for 16days.

I just wondered if anyone has been and whats tips if any do you have?

I really really want to take my camera and am taking the Nifty Fifty Tour 50mm....but I am also a bit worried about taking my kit with me...I was going to take the NF and a 10-20/22 (as yet undecided). Anyone got any tips?

My itinerary is roughly as follows;

Paris > Barcelona > Monaco/Nice > Milan > Prague > Amsterdam

Thanks to anyone who replies!

Regards

AJ

Did it for 3 weeks 26 years ago!

1) every train in Europe goes through Hamburg (yes every single one!)

2) You meet some very strange people on European trains and some bloody nice ones!

3) try to use sleeper trains where possible, it saves time and money.

4) make sure your interrail ticket is valid for the train you're on (got ripped off by a ticket inspector in Hamburg)

5) don't travel with a pi55head (no really, don't)

6) travel light (remember you have to carry everything on and off trains daily).

7 ENJOY! I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world.

Not done it but really really want to!! Not sure about what kit to take really...i suppose anything that u wouldnt be too horrified about getting stolen as it could happen on night trains and stuff i imagine. but then again if it is insured then u might not be so wary...:D

Did it for 3 weeks 26 years ago!

1) every train in Europe goes through Hamburg (yes every single one!)

2) You meet some very strange people on European trains and some bloody nice ones!

3) try to use sleeper trains where possible, it saves time and money.

4) make sure your interrail ticket is valid for the train you're on (got ripped off by a ticket inspector in Hamburg)

5) don't travel with a pi55head (no really, don't)

6) travel light (remember you have to carry everything on and off trains daily).

7 ENJOY! I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world.

^
|
|
what he said, and...

(8) Use the lockers at the railway station for your main bag. Use a small day-bag for sight-seeing.

(9) Investigate joining the YHA, as Youth Hostels are generally clean and well run in mainland Europe.

(10) Money belt or similar for all your goodies.

(11) Ensure you travel with people you like. It will get stressfull and argumentative, especially as you will have periods of interrupted sleep, you'll be skipping meals and you won't have had a shower for days.

(12) Ensure you stock up on fresh water, chocolate and other goodies whenever you see a supermarket.

(13) If you ever find yourself needing somewhere to sleep for a night head-out to the city airport and kip down in the public waiting areas. You don't tend to get the alcoholics, nutters and over-excitable security guards at the airports :)

(14) See the trip as a 'life' experience, rather than a photo-opportunity.

(15) You'll meet lots of other inter-railers too, talk to them, they'll give you good tips on where to go and what to see.

P.S. I last inter-railed about 20 years ago, so things might have changed significantly.

P.P.S. The best advise was (3) - use the sleeper trains as much as possible, even if that means zig-zagging across Europe every day to ensure you get 6 hours sleep ;)

Back