Anyone gone from Canon 350D --> Nikon D80?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I'm contemplating selling my Canon gear (as per my sig. below), and getting a Nikon D80.

I've not got much invested in terms of lenses/accessories, so i'm not bothered about switching systems. The two main things I want are a bigger viewfinder, and a bigger LCD. Has anyone made the swtich from 350D to D80? If so, is the viewfinder any bigger/brighter?

Cheers,
Matt

Yeah 40D would make more sense, it has a bigger LCD and bigger viewfinder. Plus you don't have to re-learn how to use a DSLR all over again...

Yeah 40D would make more sense, it has a bigger LCD and bigger viewfinder. Plus you don't have to re-learn how to use a DSLR all over again...

To me thats an exageration, you don't need to re-learn how to use an DSLR just learn a slightly different interface it's more like going from XP to Vista it all does the same thing in just a slightly different way.

I think your best bet is to get to a camera shop and have a play, you have very little money invested in glass and it would fetch a reasonable price second hand so now may well be your last chance to change systems cheaply.

I agree why not think about the 40d, or 30d. It is an upgrade and means you don't loose money on your current gear

To me thats an exageration, you don't need to re-learn how to use an DSLR just learn a slightly different interface it's more like going from XP to Vista it all does the same thing in just a slightly different way.

More like going from a Mac to a PC (or PC to a Mac). Vista is basically the same as XP just looks a bit nicer and has a few more functions.

Yes Canons and Nikons are both DSLRs, but they are set out very differently.

I'm really not fussed about ditching my existing gear, and re-learning a camera - it's not an issue at all. I've leaned towards the D80 because of price. They are going for £400 second hand, whereas the 40D will be quite a bit more i guess.

Matt

Going from 350D to D80 is alot like going from D50 to D80, which i personally couldn't see a point for.

That isn't an option. The 40D is £700, which i can't spare. However, i could sell my gear and basically not have spend more than a few quid to get a D80 and a couple of lenses.

I was thinking along the lines of D80 + Sigma 10-20mm + 24-70 2.8 of some description. I'd get stuff second hand, and therefore shouldn't end up spending that much. However, i'd end up with a better camera, with a bigger LCD and bigger viewfinder (at least, i think it's bigger?)

Matt

Import it from Hong Kong and you can knock over £100 off that price.

I got my 40D with grip, extra battery, hand strap and some cleaning products for £680 delivered.

You could probably get a 2nd hand 40D for less than that aswel.

hmm, what is your budget, those two bits of glass are gonna cost 5-£600 on their own.
I can see your point about a better body for less, but the maths just aren't quite adding up right...
350d = £200
lenses = £200, I'm just guessing, I've no clue what canon lenses go for.
So that buys the D80, wheres the other 5-£600 coming from ?
s'cuse if I'm miles out with the canon lenses..

No, you are quite right. I think my maths is shot. I have also mis-remembered what lenses i was thinking of. What I actually meant was:

- Nikon D80 (£350 - £400)
- Nikon 18-70mm (maybe £50 extra if not included)
- Sigma 10-20mm (~£200)

So i would need to save up for the Sigma a bit. Humm, must have been a hard day. That all made perfect sense on the way to work this morning! Think i need to find a Jessops.

Matt

Sounds to me you're trying to convince yourself its a good idea jumping ship for reasons that don't seem to have any depth.

If your sold on the idea then you gotta sell up and go to nikon. No questions! Before you've got too much money invested.

I think you will find canon offer as much quality and value for money as any other top brand.

If it were me I would be looking at a s/h 40D.

No, you are quite right. I think my maths is shot. I have also mis-remembered what lenses i was thinking of. What I actually meant was:

- Nikon D80 (£350 - £400)
- Nikon 18-70mm (maybe £50 extra if not included)
- Sigma 10-20mm (~£200)

So i would need to save up for the Sigma a bit. Humm, must have been a hard day. That all made perfect sense on the way to work this morning! Think i need to find a Jessops.

Matt

Good luck getting an 18-70mm for £50!!

And when you find one for that price - let me know.

Expect to pay double that.

:)

Keep hold of your 350D as your second body and invest £350-£400 on a good second hand 30D(y)

Or see if any friends are going to the states in the near future and get them to bring a 40D back for you. I paid $1350 from Circuit city for one with a 28-135 IS lens which I then sold for 190 quid over here on ebay. Camera worked out at a little under 500 in the end.

For what it's worth, my friend has a D80 and was very jealous of my 40D! Oh, and I upgraded from a 350D and it's definately worth it!!

simonj - is there a noticeable difference in viewfinder size from 350D -> 40D?

I think i perhaps trying to convince myself it would be a good move. I didn't realise the 30D's had sunk to that price though. That could be quite tempting. Off to have a look on eBay I think :)

Matt

All the common sense in the world has already been shared here so I will not regurgitate any;)

When you spend good money, buy decent lenses - not bodies

Today's great cutting edge body is tomorrow's old fashion back-up body.

Buy decent glass and contain the upgraditis:D(y)

I've had 2 D80's and they are great cameras.
I found the 350D too small and traded it up for the D80 and found the menu/user interface to be really good and never looked back.
The 18-70 performs well beyond its price point but, as others have said, you'll be doing well to get one for £50.

The OPs question has been ignored.

Yes, the viewfinder is bigger. Not massively so. However, its a much more rounded camera with better IQ imo.

Jump ship if you want to, no big deal.

All the common sense in the world has already been shared here so I will not regurgitate any;)

When you spend good money, buy decent lenses - not bodies

Today's great cutting edge body is tomorrow's old fashion back-up body.

Buy decent glass and contain the upgraditis:D(y)

Usually i would entirely agree with this but in this case i do believe that the jump between bodies is big enough to justify it. The image quality may be only a little better but for me its the feel of the camera and the fact the review screen on the back is 4 times the size. And yes, the viewfinder is certainly noticeably larger, though i cant remember if the d80s was bigger. Maybe so. Theres a guy i know selling one for 525, 4 months old if ur interested.

Ok, thanks for the last posts. That has given me more of an answer to my question. I think i will jump ship, and sell my Canon gear. Just need to pluck out the right lenses, but the 18-70 seems a good place to start.

Thanks for all the various thoughts, even if my reasoning was pretty weak ;-)

Matt

Well, my apologies for voicing my opinion and not sticking to the viewfinder question.

With regards to the viewfinder, I also think the D80 has a penta prism as opposed to the cheaper penta mirror.
I'll look that up later just to be sure.

I also forgot to mention the "on demand" gridlines that can be seen through the viewfinder.

Usually i would entirely agree with this but in this case i do believe that the jump between bodies is big enough to justify it. The image quality may be only a little better but for me its the feel of the camera and the fact the review screen on the back is 4 times the size. And yes, the viewfinder is certainly noticeably larger, though i cant remember if the d80s was bigger. Maybe so. Theres a guy i know selling one for 525, 4 months old if ur interested.

I agree that there is sufficiently "more camera" 350D to D80/40D.

The viewfinder issue was one of two reasons for him wanting to jump ship brand-wise.

IMHO (1) the OP is happy that his question has been answered and (2) even if you bought a D3 or 1Ds Mk III now it is simply a matter of time before it is replaced, then obsolete - even though it still takes great pictures.

This leads to little more than camera companies with fat wallets and togs with short term bragging rights and (very) thin wallets.

I would say the odds are about 10 body uprades to any one lens upgrade.

Decide with your head and not your heart.

But that was not the OP's question.

Any old way you look at it, the issue is resolved.(y)

Ok, thanks for the last posts. That has given me more of an answer to my question. I think i will jump ship, and sell my Canon gear. Just need to pluck out the right lenses, but the 18-70 seems a good place to start.

Thanks for all the various thoughts, even if my reasoning was pretty weak ;-)

Matt

Give us a shout if you end up looking for an 18-70, I may sell mine, :cautious:..hurrr
Huddersfield is pretty close, you could try before buy:)

Back