Anyone good with spreadsheets & web design?

tigerimages

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to include specific cells from a spreadsheets in places on my webpage. Is this possible and if it is how's it done??

depends what your coding in, html should be easy enough, a table or just cut/[paste!

If you need to regularly update the page you could use software like GDIdb or get someone to write some PHP for you.

It's probably more complicated than I'm making it sound :(

I've got a series of pages like this. Scroll down to the section for appearances and goals (about halfway), it's to use there. At the moment I have an incredible lame and time consuming way of updating the pages and they don't add up.

What I want to use is excel or a works spreadsheet that the webpage can take specific values from specific cells on the spreadsheet.

I'm sure it should be possible but I can't find a simple way of doing it...

Someone connected with the site is using PHP, what's their opinion?

You could set set up your spreadsheet with unique text labels next to each cell you want the data from. Save the file as tab or comma delimited, upload it and let the PHP extract and inject the data. You could (or should) have PHP running on your own machine, or you could use GDIdb to update the page before uploading. Using PHP or GDIdb from a standing start isn't a trivial task. GDIdb is like Perl. Another option could be Aestiva HTML/OS which is supposed to do clever things easily, and you might get the free version to create static pages for you, but you'd be better off using it or PHP instead of Excel. This would cost you more time and/or money than the task warrants. Send the job overseas?

What I want to use is excel or a works spreadsheet that the webpage can take specific values from specific cells on the spreadsheet.

I'm sure it should be possible but I can't find a simple way of doing it...

That probably isn't possible that i'm aware of.

The best way is to enter the data into a mysql database and use php to read the database and extract the right parts.

:)

something like wordpress or mambo might be better, you can update it easily?

matt is the whizz with php coding, perhaps he can help? hes been busy offsite for a while but im sure he might be along sometime

That probably isn't possible that i'm aware of.

The best way is to enter the data into a mysql database and use php to read the database and extract the right parts.

:)
This is probably the right way of doing it and I did once manage to stumble into creating a mysql database behind the scenes on some of my webspace.

It would be nice if I could import my data from something like excel but I doubt that that'll be easy.

Photon, thanks for the suggestion but I think that'll be over my head. I think the last option is more viable!

matty - I'm not familiar with either of those but I'll take a look. Thanks :)

I used to use an Access database on a website I did a few years ago and I think when setting up the DSN Connection that Excel was an option. This was all in ASP though. I'm sure that you can export CSV from Excel and use that if all else fails.

GDIdb will extract the data from either Access or Excel and squirt it into a static webpage for you to upload, but you need to flag the data and then strip the flags.

Back