Anyone know anything about prams?

Edit My Images
No
As most of you know, I am due to become a first time dad in March :)

As a result, now is the time to be thinking about and looking at prams, etc.

We've seen one which we really like - the Bebecar Stylo Air Tyre.

Does anyone have any experience of this or know anything about it?

Cheers.

Anth.

well i can make a few suggestions.
1. car seats are bad for babies backs so get one that u can lay them flat in for the first few months.
2. make sure it fits int eh boot of the car when folded
3. storage is useful babies need more kit than cameras;)
4. easy stearing is important
5. dont worry toomuch if it wont convert as they get older cos ur bound to want / need a new one by then anyways:)

Cheer toothie - some good advice.

Car seat comes as an extra and allows baby to lie flat - as does the pram!!
The folded chasis fits in the back of my car - I was worried about that as I have a Volvo s40, which although it has a big boot, it's a saloon and not the easiest to access - tested the pram though, and it fits!
Storage via some little basket thing at the bottom + a big bag thing!!!
Steering - locked / steering front wheels - taken it for a 'test drive' around the shop today and it's easy enough.
Should do until the bairn is about 4 - by which time I aim to have it walking plenty of miles and in the reserve squad for Newcastle United ;)

Thanks again for the advice !!

Anth

no worries good luck with every thing:)

ps can u get it through a closed push door cos if its too long reach can be difficult. and make sure if u have to push it a long way ur not stooping - ull get backache.

I have one thing to say about prams.

Dont fret over it too much, and certainly don't spend your life savings on one, because they grow out of them very very quickly.

Hi MArcel - I wondered how long it would be before this thread caught your attention!!!

Not worrying too much, but do want something that the bairn, the wife, and I will all be happy with!!

We have kind of got our minds set on the one mentioned aboce and wonderedif anyone else had used it before.

As for the door and height thing - happy with both and an adjustable handle height thing makes it ok for us both - I am 6'2" so that was important too !!!!

Anth

Firstly, congratulations from a 2 time dad !
You do not need shed loads of gear for a baby, despite what you will be pushed towards - a baby needs to be warm, clean and loved - not surrounded by expensive gear that it grows out of in weeks. You, the parents will need time, so instead of spending loads on stuff, why not put out the word, and you will find so much stuff that your peers who already have kids coming your way. Then, spend what you have saved on a short break, when baby is a few weeks old, you are both in need of an escape, and take a long weekend off and go abroad - it did us both so much good to know that we could still get out, were not ruled by a baby, and that it is fun to travel with a baby - Billie had visited 6 countries by her first birthday !
We bathed both of ours in the kitchen sink, and have fab pictures to prove it, put nappies in carrier bags, not some stupid gadget to 'dispose' of them and had loads of proper contact with them in part as a result. Kate was a paediatric nurse at Great Ormond street, so knew some of the stuff, but we didn't read books, buy stuff, just enjoyed every moment - i found it hard, as I am an insecure bloke, but we both faced ourselves, found a few problems, and talked them through - it is not hard being a parent, but it is an education - maybe the first ever proper one I had had. Be prepared for not much sleep, for feeling lost and scared, for not knowing, and maybe for feeling anger towards your child. BUT, also you will have never felt love as you soon will, you will feel so proud, so humble, so totally worthy of your place on this earth. It is the best thing, and made me who I am now (ok, that may not be much, but to my kids, I am THE Dad)You are not perfect, but to your kid, whatever you do will be perfect enough. Enjoy every moment. I almost wish it was me in your shoes...

So, no answer to your post, but get whatever and have a laugh - how fab to be a Dad !

Just checked my spelling and grammar above - shocking!!!

Amazing what a day of international sport can do to you!!!!

;)

Anth

Jessie enjoying her bath !

Jessie_in_sink.jpg

Nothing about prams / push chairs etc but from what I've read kids are more expensive than cameras. You do pick your hobbies ;).

I know I got pushed about in a flimsy deck chair type thing with solid rubber wheels and I'm OK. I can't believe the number of these ATV push chairs with air filled tyres and suspension (the 4x4 of child transportation devices) that I see about :wacky:.

Firstly, congratulations from a 2 time dad !
You do not need shed loads of gear for a baby, despite what you will be pushed towards - a baby needs to be warm, clean and loved - not surrounded by expensive gear that it grows out of in weeks. You, the parents will need time, so instead of spending loads on stuff, why not put out the word, and you will find so much stuff that your peers who already have kids coming your way. Then, spend what you have saved on a short break, when baby is a few weeks old, you are both in need of an escape, and take a long weekend off and go abroad - it did us both so much good to know that we could still get out, were not ruled by a baby, and that it is fun to travel with a baby - Billie had visited 6 countries by her first birthday !
We bathed both of ours in the kitchen sink, and have fab pictures to prove it, put nappies in carrier bags, not some stupid gadget to 'dispose' of them and had loads of proper contact with them in part as a result. Kate was a paediatric nurse at Great Ormond street, so knew some of the stuff, but we didn't read books, buy stuff, just enjoyed every moment - i found it hard, as I am an insecure bloke, but we both faced ourselves, found a few problems, and talked them through - it is not hard being a parent, but it is an education - maybe the first ever proper one I had had. Be prepared for not much sleep, for feeling lost and scared, for not knowing, and maybe for feeling anger towards your child. BUT, also you will have never felt love as you soon will, you will feel so proud, so humble, so totally worthy of your place on this earth. It is the best thing, and made me who I am now (ok, that may not be much, but to my kids, I am THE Dad)You are not perfect, but to your kid, whatever you do will be perfect enough. Enjoy every moment. I almost wish it was me in your shoes...

So, no answer to your post, but get whatever and have a laugh - how fab to be a Dad !

i just ment u go out for the day u need nappies spare clothes, bottles, calpol, wipes, etc plus add in a little shopping and a few toys its like moving house:)

Steve - cracking words mate - thank you very much!!!!

Firstly, as regards the feelings etc - the biggest one at the moment is nerves that everything will be okay, and also mega excitement!!! It's not due until March - so Babs (My wife) halfway there almost!!!! Just keeping everything crossed!!!!

As regards the actual childcare elemnets etc - had a lot of experience looking after my nephew and also as a teacher and former nursery worker, I know how little they sleep. Still don't think anything will prepare me for the sleepless nights though - I should really be stocking up on the sleep now!!!!!

Baby gadgets do nothing for me either - I have no doubt that I will carry on your tradition of walking out to the bin to hoy an old tesco back and nappy in there rather than pay £30 for some bin that 'keeps the smell in!'

On the pram front however, the grandparents are very keen to buy that for us. It is something we will need (especially a car seat thing and a tough pram) as we travel from Manchester to Newcastle loads and visit the beach at every available opportunity we get!!!! Therefore we're doing a little research so that we can tell the grandparents wha we would like and get something nice!!!

Educating and upbringing of a child of my own is a scary scary thought. It is also however, one which I cannot wait to get stuck into. I can't wait to look at the little person and think that that is part of me!!!! Knowing I am now (as well as the missus of course ;) ) responsible for the life and upbringing of someone is a great thought!!!!

Anth

Steve (again)

What a fantastic photo! That is well funny. That's how I was bathed as a child too!!!!

Luckily, my bargain huntint forward thinking wife has already purchased a 'Baby Bath' from George * Asda's baby event - for the bargain price of £1.89 !!!! Apparently it even has a plastic thing to stop them slipping under the water in those moments when you leave your 1 week old child unattended in several inches of water whilst you nip to the fridge to get another beer :)

Anth

Toothie - I was not having a dig at you - the catalogues push you into believing you need so much junk, like a special fold-away table to dry the baby on - yeah, right !!
Anth - tell the grandparents to spend the money on getting baby used to eating foreign foods or something similar - Billie was eating prawns and olives as almost her first solids !
Having time for your kid, and wife is the most important thing - we almost split up when both Billie and Jessie were born, as I am not a strong man, and was so scared of loosing Kate to a baby I might not like. However, I now know more, and we had a hard time, but we both grew and learnt, as did our kids, who are the reason I am still here (another story..)
Make sure, as you seem like you are doing, that baby knows its grandparents, knows its parents, and has all the time you can give it. The rewards are so humumgous, and I am now going to give both of mine a kiss. Boy, it is such a wonerful thing to be a parent.

Steve - having read your last few posts I would say you are a strong man! Not many blokes would chat to a total stranger, opening their hearts and declaring what is important to them.

Sounds like you have got your head screwed on in the right way - you know where your priorities lie and aren't ashamed to tell people - good on you mate!

As for the foreign foods - there will hopefully be no troubles there - the wife and I both LOVE our holidays (long summer hols is a major advantage of being teachers ;) ). We both also value family massively and hope that both of our families will be a big part of baby's life!!!

Some great advice from the heart mate. I don't know you, but I already know that your kids are very lucky to have a dad that thinks so much of both them, and your role as a father!!

Cheers!!!

Anth

Lady pitstop ...

Now I'm worried. I have all this to come !!!!

Wish me luck!!!!

Anth.

PS - Luckily my mobile is a brick and works in all terrains - so I may pass that on to the baby !!!!!

we spent a small fortune on a 3 wheeler, adjustable suspension, alloy wheels, disk brake Jane pushchair and carseat.

people said we were spending too much on it but 2 years later, after being used almost daily around the local fields and country park walking the dogs, not to mention some of the other places we've managed to get it its still in one piece. It's filthy dirty, covered in mud, the fabric on one side has faded where it sits in the boot of the car but it was well worth the investment, we couldn't manage at the moment with a buggy with small wheels, they just wouldn't work off road!!

Taff ...

Yeah, we wanted one that is quite 'robust' too. I envisage it having a good few run outs along the coast as well as any other track I can get it on!!!!

Although, my sister has got a 3 wheeler Jane pushchair which she hates!!! Suppose it is a bit like camera really, with people having different tastes!!! I mean, I have been let to believe that some people even use cameras that AREN'T made by Nikon ;)

Cheers for the advice folks- did not realise this post would take off like this!!!

Anth

your right about that. i dont have kids but i work as a chidlrens accident and emergecy nurse and the stuff ppl come in with, and "can't live with out" its all useless but they depend on it and the will only use a specific type of beaker - sorry i digress

your all brave as hell having kids i wouldnt do it, too gutless good luck to you all:)

well i bought a graco urban sherpa 2 years ago for my son.

ended up buying from ebay, got a week old second hand one for £100 less than what it was in mothercare. i paid £200 and it was £300 in m.care.
Must admit it is heavy folded up but since i dont have a car it made sense to me to invest in something that was going to last and carry the shopping home! (oh yes and carry the baby lmao) and must admit the steering is lovely on it, most of the time i push it one handed!

2 years on were expecting a little girl in february (so i'll have 3 kiddies) and the pram is still as sturdy as the day i bought it. only problem i've had with it was a couple of punctures... but some tyre gloop soon sorted that out lol!

you just need to get the pram that best suits your needs... and shop around, it really does pay to do so!

lisa :)

when we had our little boy lsat year, we went for a travel system so that we could transfer him from car to pram and vice versa without having to wake him up in the process.

Wez, yeah - the one we are looking at (above) isa travel system thing too - car seat, carrycot/pram and pushchair.

Looks sturdy and well built. Shopping about still, but found somewhere local that seems to do very reasonable prices!!!!

Anth.

i feel your pain!!

our first is due in february and we have just bought our pram a few days ago.....what a hassle! We will be doing plenty of travelling up to scotland to see the parents so needed something sturdy and robust as plenty of time will be spent in the forest and beach!! After changing our minds numerous times we ended up buying a Mutsy 3 Rider. Excellent build quality with interchangeable seats. It was expensive (parents are helping us out with that one), but will hopefully be upto the job!

We were supposed to be going to New York in November, but she will be 7 months so decided we shouldn't go (even though she would still be "allowed" to fly, it will be an 8hr flight which we thought might be a bit much). So not going to NY means we had a nice stash to spend on baby stuff!! Only a glider chair to buy now! Hoping there might be some spare to treat myself to a new lens!!

We also had our 20 week scan in September, but they couldn't tell us the sex! Disappointed at first, but i suppose it has added to the excitement a bit more!!

admag etc and buy secondhand. dont pay hundreds of squids for something that you may get a year out of.plus if you look after it , you can put it in the loft for the next three or four . EEEEK.or sell it on when you,ve done. theres even some shops around that buy/sell baby carriages n stuff.
def buy a buggy stylee rather than a traditional pram. much more usable , portable.
oh and its all down hill from here.:D
theyll soon be stroppy teenagers.
seriously enjoy parent hood .nothing beats it
oh and DONT MISS THE BIRTH. been fortunate to see all three of mine born. cried like a baby all three times too.
one of the best experiences ever.

Mine are 16 and 13 now, so its been a while since I had to consider that kind of stuff, but as has already been said, please don't lavish shedloads of cash on so called 'must have' accoutrements, your baby will not care one iota, and nor will they remember whether mum and dad pushed them around in a brand new, or well cared for second hand pram. I still find myself giggling when I walk round London and see parents with hugely expensive 3 wheeler gigs - saw loads of them in Norway too, where they did actually make sense when you saw the rugged, 'up hil, down dale' unmade path terrain some parents had to scale to get home.
Get some thing sensible and practical, that will fit in your car whilst allowing room for your own stuff [especially if travelling back and forth between cities regularly], and most importantly, has handles at the right height for comfort! There is nothing worse than pushing a pram/buggy with too high or low handles, wrecks your back!! I know from personal experience. :(

...and make sure the rack thing can carry your camera kit :LOL:

Just get the essentials that baby really needs, and save your hard earned for when he/she is older, because believe me, if you think photography is an expensive hobby, you should see the hole teenagers can make in your bank balance :puke:

I've just spotted this on HotUKDeals.

Billy bargain!

Link

I would suggest trying a few if you can as some of em are a bit low and can screw your back if your pushin em all day, also look at a stroller with big wheels as you will soon get fed up of loading a big pram/buggy in and out of the car.
As previously said you can spend an awful lot of money if you are not careful.
I know what you mean about all the stuff you end up taking, after a while it ends up as a nappy and a carrier bag!! :LOL:

I would have to say if I was doing it again the one place I would spare no expense is the stroller/pram thing. We ended going through 3 of them because we used them so much and if we'd just spent a good amount of money on 1 that would get us through the whole thing we would have saved money in the end. Sounds like you picked the right one for you. Unfortunately there is only one way to find out if it is right and that is when the little one comes..... but you'll know quickly so you can always recoup some money on resale if it doesn't fit the bill.

I was chatting to the GF (a reception teacher) about this thread and she says that the best Prams / Push Chairs for young children face backwards towards the parent(s) as it means that the child can see the parents face and lips as they talk and so helps with language development.

Are you planning on having any more kids in the next few years?

I've got a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old and I would heartily recommend the Phil and Teds Explorer E3 (think it's called that). The main seat folds down into a flat bed for a newborn (you can buy a cocoon type thing with handles so you can lift baby in and out).

You need a separate car seat though (this is a bonus for my wife as they are heavy and she doesn't have to lift it in and out of the car).

Then if you have another littl'un, you can buy a second seat which attaches either at the front (with flat bed underneath) or at the back turning it into a double pushchair. As they don't sit side by side, it's not a mile wide and still fits through doors.

Definitely the best to go for if you're going to have more than one - I see more of this pram than all the others put together I think.

You can buy a cheap stroller as well if you don't need the big one.

:baby: Congratulations & GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

x x x

Wow wow wow wow wow!

The response on this thread has amazed me - thank you all very much!!!!

Righty, here's the latest ...

After loads of research into different prams, car seats, travel systems, etc .... we have decided to go for the Bebecar Stylo AT. For the following reasons ....

It's a pram - which will allow the baby to lie flat when first born ... much better for the nipper apparently!!!!

It has big chunky air tyres which won't get stuck when I take it up Cheviot or for a good run out on the beach / mud trails or anywhere else that i decide the bairn will need to visit ;)

It has adjustable handle height thing - for both me (6'2 and the missus 5'8 and also the grandparents - 5 - 6 foot !!

It's pretty easy to 'drive' - looks very sturdy and comfortable for the baby.

It comes with another attachment for when baby gets older - pushchair bit - which can face forward or backwards in a variety of positions.

It also comes with a car seat - which has very good reports re: safety features and comfort.

It fits in my car!!!

And last but not least, I'm not paying for it!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thanks again for all your advice. Now you just have to wait until March for the fuill review ;)

Anth

Dont forget it's unlucky for it to be in the house before the baby is born, with it being your first one.....

Or something like that.

Aye, the missus said that too.

Better warn my next door neighbour he's gonna need a bit of space in his spare room ;)

Cheers.

Anth

Back