Anyone know of any urbex portrait photographers?

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
im going to a favourite spot of my togging tomorrow because i haven't been for a while, and my girlfriend has volunteered to come along too and i was thinking about shooting some portraits of her while im there.

now my only problem is trying to work out what to get her to wear... ive had a google but really cant find a lot at all and was wondering if anyone knew any famous photographers who shot portraits in derelict buildings? or whether anyone knew what sort of clothing suits this sort of backdrop?

the place im going is the oh so famous RAF base at croft, warrington:

k8BJo.jpg

i61ep.jpg

ft4FK.jpg

Cheers!

Main thing that jumps to mind is fashion shoots, hair & make up done and fancy outfits.

But tbh, anything is acceptable, go and try and see what you find. You can always take change of clothes with you :D

Agree with Harvey.

I think posh cocktail dress would look cool but there again so would 'trashed and wasted' (or combine the 2) - give her a bottle of vodka and 40 fags tonight and don't let her go to bed :)

I believ Hustler or Penthouse shot a set underground at Llechwedd Slate Quarry once, so nothing at all may be perfectly fine!

Fantastic location. Is it simply waste ground now, and open to the public?

WRT what your girlfriend should wear, in your shoes I'd think about the kind of story I want the images to tell - do you want her to look integral to the scene, or as if she's out of place? If integral, you could try a punk/rock/camo/grunge approach. Phil's suggestion is pretty good, but you'll probably want her to last the session without falling asleep :) . Alternatively, to stand out, you could go down the ballgown/cocktail dress & heels/floaty summer dress (for a more delicate, vulnerable look) route. I'd be tempted to put her in a white wedding-style dress - something smooth and delicate against the rough textures. I'd certainly take a few different outfits and accessories along.

Cheers guys, we did go there but they have put a new fence on the front entrance so its kinda inaccessible from the front, I think I've found a back entrance though so gonna have a gange at that son.

Agree with Harvey.

I think posh cocktail dress would look cool but there again so would 'trashed and wasted' (or combine the 2) - give her a bottle of vodka and 40 fags tonight and don't let her go to bed :)

haha all she needs is a sniff of alcohol and shes gone! will bare that in mind for next time we go out though :p

He's not famous, but check out Phil Winterbourne's "Explore" set on Flickr

Looks cool, gave me some good ideas - cheers!

I'm sure I've seen a few posts of this nature on here! I've just found this one looking through my previous comments:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=311802

There was another set that was absolutely brilliant but I can't find it. It was from a very active user on here if I remember rightly? Anyone?!

as above, cheers! gve me a few ideas to have a go at!

goth usually looks good on urbex shoots

not sure how she would respond to the "goth" look - only one way to find out though! She isn't the most confident person in herself though so might have to avoid anything too drastic for a couple of times, I'm only really using her as someone to work with to get used to shooting with a model.

Fantastic location. Is it simply waste ground now, and open to the public?

WRT what your girlfriend should wear, in your shoes I'd think about the kind of story I want the images to tell - do you want her to look integral to the scene, or as if she's out of place? If integral, you could try a punk/rock/camo/grunge approach. Phil's suggestion is pretty good, but you'll probably want her to last the session without falling asleep :) . Alternatively, to stand out, you could go down the ballgown/cocktail dress & heels/floaty summer dress (for a more delicate, vulnerable look) route. I'd be tempted to put her in a white wedding-style dress - something smooth and delicate against the rough textures. I'd certainly take a few different outfits and accessories along.

its in a wreck basically, still very much accessible apart from being fenced off (for the most part) but when youre inside its a really nice place to look around and to tog at.

in regards to the clothes - cheers, im not 100% what she actually has in her wardrobe but she has a few nice cocktail dresses and summery dresses which i might ask her to bring along next time, as I tend to prefer the shots where she looks out of place-ish, and a bit lost?

Back