anyone moved away from a Blackberry?

hmm, stats are stats...
  • their sales are down 14m units in the last quarter
  • net income nearly $1bn down on comparative sales from same quarter last year
  • Playbook has been very disappointing
  • shares are dropping
  • BB users fell by nearly 2m in the US mid-2011

all this compared to Android/Google going from strength to strength, doesn't give me the confidence in having one of their products for the next 2 years. if they pull their socks up in 12months, then great, I'll be due a renewal and jump back onboard.

for the phone:
  • single core processor compared to dual core
  • OS10 won't be out til later in 2012, compared to ICS (or newer) it seems it'll be playing catch-up
  • inferior quality screen, androids really are something to behold
  • no flash support
  • i've never used BBM so won't miss it

for me, buying a new phone at this particular time, i think i'll get more for my money going Android.

US sales have been dire recently although it seems that sales especially in Europe have been good, seems that people are buying the cheaper ones on PAYG certainly.

Playbook sales have been disappointing but its a development device really, personally I really like the QNX OS and I'm looking forward to seeing on on their smart phones next year.

Flash support is going to be going from all mobile devices as Adobe have announced they are no longer developing Flash for mobile, also the screen on the 9900 is amazing, its not as big as an all touch device but its much better than the old BB screens.

i'm sure the 9900 is a great phone as of now, but I'm highly sceptical as to where it will stand in 12/18 months time. i'm going to have to get hooked into a 2yr contract (can't afford to buy PAYG), and so want to get a phone which will be near the top of its game for the bulk of those 24 months.

Galaxy S2 and Sensation XE are very recent phones, and the HTC will be getting its upgrade to the new Android OS very shortly. OS10 will be out on the BB at the end of 2012 at best.

i'm sure the 9900 is a great phone as of now, but I'm highly sceptical as to where it will stand in 12/18 months time. i'm going to have to get hooked into a 2yr contract (can't afford to buy PAYG), and so want to get a phone which will be near the top of its game for the bulk of those 24 months.

Galaxy S2 and Sensation XE are very recent phones, and the HTC will be getting its upgrade to the new Android OS very shortly. OS10 will be out on the BB at the end of 2012 at best.

Like I said it really depends what you want, fills my needs perfectly, but for media I'd recommend Android, and yeah on a 2 year contract maybe not.

I'd expect that in even 12 months any of the current phones are likely to be far down the pecking order as Quad Core CPU's and Graphics start to filter down from the tablets.

Also to note is the BB10 won't be available on any of the current Blackberry lineup anyway, as it requires a Dual Core CPU, the 9900 only has a 1.2GHz single core which is fine for BB7 but I can't imagine it would be an fast with the BB10 OS!

Like I said it really depends what you want, fills my needs perfectly, but for media I'd recommend Android, and yeah on a 2 year contract maybe not.

I'd expect that in even 12 months any of the current phones are likely to be far down the pecking order as Quad Core CPU's and Graphics start to filter down from the tablets.

Also to note is the BB10 won't be available on any of the current Blackberry lineup anyway, as it requires a Dual Core CPU, the 9900 only has a 1.2GHz single core which is fine for BB7 but I can't imagine it would be an fast with the BB10 OS!

ahh that final point may have put the final nail in the 9900 coffin for me. in 2 years' time from now I'd still be on BB7 with a single core processor.

i think, given this point in time, I'd rather have the latest android OS (which can always be updated again) and a dual core processor.

if BB pull it out of the bag, and in 12/18 months' time they have a dual/quad core phone, with lots of juicy extras, then I can look at going back to BB (and gladly so!). I just feel, having to get a new phone in the next couple of weeks, the immediate future would look brighter with a new android :thinking:

ahh that final point may have put the final nail in the 9900 coffin for me. in 2 years' time from now I'd still be on BB7 with a single core processor.

i think, given this point in time, I'd rather have the latest android OS (which can always be updated again) and a dual core processor.

if BB pull it out of the bag, and in 12/18 months' time they have a dual/quad core phone, with lots of juicy extras, then I can look at going back to BB (and gladly so!). I just feel, having to get a new phone in the next couple of weeks, the immediate future would look brighter with a new android :thinking:

I think you've put it spot on there to be honest, I've had my 9900 for 3-4 months now, if I was looking right now then I'd have ordered a Nokia Lumia 800 not a 9900, RIM can't seem to do anything right and while I'm happy with my 9900 and Playbook combo they need to pull off BB10 really well or I'll be jumping ship in Q4 2012, but yeah the new phones are going to need to be good!

I think you've put it spot on there to be honest, I've had my 9900 for 3-4 months now, if I was looking right now then I'd have ordered a Nokia Lumia 800 not a 9900, RIM can't seem to do anything right and while I'm happy with my 9900 and Playbook combo they need to pull off BB10 really well or I'll be jumping ship in Q4 2012, but yeah the new phones are going to need to be good!

it's a shame, as the last year I've had my first BB (Curve 9300) and absolutely loved it, so was really keen to get my hands on the latest BB.

but for all the reasons above, it's probably not the wisest investment as things stand right this minute - and my current contract is up in 2 weeks' time.

No phone is going to be at the top of its game for 24 months! Im curious why eveyone has to have the latest phone as soon as it comes out. I cant be doing with using a phone for the net unless its in dire emegency as the screens are too small and sites too clunky - and why anyone would watch a video on one is beyond me! Theres all this rubbish about the screens being HD whats id the point on a screen so small? Antone trying to keep up with latest phone has been hooked by the brand!

it's a shame, as the last year I've had my first BB (Curve 9300) and absolutely loved it, so was really keen to get my hands on the latest BB.

but for all the reasons above, it's probably not the wisest investment as things stand right this minute - and my current contract is up in 2 weeks' time.

I know you mentioned earlier that you don't use BBM, thats what kept me really this time as I use it a lot, if I didn't I might have jumped ship before.

I really love the hardware on mine the keyboard for me is light years ahead of the touch keyboard on either Android (Desire / Desire HD) or the iPhone I had, I just hope RIM can sort themselves out!

No phone is going to be at the top of its game for 24 months! Im curious why eveyone has to have the latest phone as soon as it comes out. I cant be doing with using a phone for the net unless its in dire emegency as the screens are too small and sites too clunky - and why anyone would watch a video on one is beyond me! Theres all this rubbish about the screens being HD whats id the point on a screen so small? Antone trying to keep up with latest phone has been hooked by the brand!

and that's one of the reasons i'll never touch an iphone. my situation is different though, i'm coming to the end of my contract and so have the opportunity to get a new handset - so naturally I want to get the best that is available to me, and that will suit my needs.

i probably won't watch much video on it, though i do occasionally use the phone for youtube clips. the large screen will be great for web browsing, which i do quite a lot and have no problem with it.

I know you mentioned earlier that you don't use BBM, thats what kept me really this time as I use it a lot, if I didn't I might have jumped ship before.

I really love the hardware on mine the keyboard for me is light years ahead of the touch keyboard on either Android (Desire / Desire HD) or the iPhone I had, I just hope RIM can sort themselves out!

you're spot on. as I don't use BBM, the keypad is the only thing stopping me from jumping ship straight away. although it's a great thing, i don't think it's enough, given everything else, to keep me.

good luck, I dont think you really have a specific idea of what it is you really want...Im reading 'I want a new phone and want a shiny spangly one which will be future proof'... no where do you actually make it clear how and what you use your mobile for....

reality...Id bet youll use very few features of any of the devices, you'll struggle with the touch keyboard, you will have moments of thinking wish Id kept my keyboard, probably get used to it in the end, but still wont do anything out of the ordinary with the new device that you couldnt do with any of them...future proof doesnt exist, mobile devices move too quickly which imo the only thing to do is go with what will make your life easiest...

good luck, I dont think you really have a specific idea of what it is you really want...Im reading 'I want a new phone and want a shiny spangly one which will be future proof'... no where do you actually make it clear how and what you use your mobile for....

reality...Id bet youll use very few features of any of the devices, you'll struggle with the touch keyboard, you will have moments of thinking wish Id kept my keyboard, probably get used to it in the end, but still wont do anything out of the ordinary with the new device that you couldnt do with any of them...future proof doesnt exist, mobile devices move too quickly which imo the only thing to do is go with what will make your life easiest...

if i did have a specific idea of what i want, i wouldn't have started the thread would i :thinking:

thank you for your hugely insightful and informative reply.

so you would post on a forum 'I want a new car' without telling people what you need to use it for?..... or 'I want a new camera'...no...youd have to give some sort of idea of 'needs'.

Im not talking about what phone...Im saying youre not going to get any really useful insight into the best phone for you without being able to say what you need and want from a prospective device interms of what YOU will use it for..... your attempt at sarcasm just proves my point :clap:

so you would post on a forum 'I want a new car' without telling people what you need to use it for?..... or 'I want a new camera'...no...youd have to give some sort of idea of 'needs'.

Im not talking about what phone...Im saying youre not going to get any really useful insight into the best phone for you without being able to say what you need and want from a prospective device interms of what YOU will use it for..... your attempt at sarcasm just proves my point :clap:

bless you. but this isn't a "I want a new phone thread" :clap:

no its a 'I cant make up my mind which new phone I should have so help me make up my mind' thread..... without any meaningful way of discerning which best suits your needs... if you did you wouldnt be having to ask.... sad thing is you really dont understand what Im on about...needs vs wants. like I said, good luck....enjoy whatever toy you choose.

no its a 'I cant make up my mind which new phone I should have so help me make up my mind' thread..... without any meaningful way of discerning which best suits your needs... if you did you wouldnt be having to ask.... sad thing is you really dont understand what Im on about...needs vs wants. like I said, good luck....enjoy whatever toy you choose.

hmm nope it's definitely a 'anyone moved away from a Blackberry' thread, I just checked.
thanks for your concern though (y)

Blackberry lover getting upset?

Drop BB, like everyone else is, you will be happier and enjoy the flexibility of Android.

Enjoy the games (grand theft auto 3 has just been released and there are lots more) enjoy too many cool apps.

Blackberry could be doing a Nokia in a few years if they don't sort themselves out.

BB is doing well in the poorer countries and on payg.

Overexposed said:

Horses for courses, having a single device for keeping occupied and connected while travelling is handy where a laptop is too inconvenient.

First time I watched inception was on my HTC while riding public transport. Really wasn't that bad.

ended up getting an HTC Sensation XE - absolutely love it, it's a million miles from the Blackberry - and the typing isn't as bad as I thought at all ;)

Not doubting the speed but the ability to sync the contents of the mailbox reliably. It always show more items than the mailbox, more marked as unread etc

You're not the only one... My work BB does the same. If you read all the emails on the phone you go back later on and they re all unread again, or you hear a racket as it somehow syncs a load of new unread emails from your fully read email system... Outlook and my Omnia 7 work fine... That and the fact they feel like plastic, the UI is counter intuitive in so many area (adding bits to contacts etc is a pain in the arse..) and the buttons are too small and annoying...

Personally I think the Lumia 800 is the best phone out at the moment, shame you got an Android in the end without even contemplating it. :)

You're not the only one... My work BB does the same. If you read all the emails on the phone you go back later on and they re all unread again, or you hear a racket as it somehow syncs a load of new unread emails from your fully read email system... Outlook and my Omnia 7 work fine... That and the fact they feel like plastic, the UI is counter intuitive in so many area (adding bits to contacts etc is a pain in the arse..) and the buttons are too small and annoying...

Personally I think the Lumia 800 is the best phone out at the moment, shame you got an Android in the end without even contemplating it. :)

+1 Lumia 800 looks very nice and I'm considering one as my business phone come January, I'll be interested to see how it stacks up v my personal Bold 9900.

Thanks for the heads up on the Lumina

I was interested with a Win Mo phone and thought it looked great. It still sucks then, apparently the Sat Nav that Nokia has brought to Windows Phone will only be on the nokia phones and I believe doesn't give voice navigation, only pictorial turn by turn navigation.

Sticking with Android for now

I had a Blackberry for about a year and the email drove me to distraction it was so annoying.

As far as I remember it was one way sync only so I would read an email on the phone yet that same email would show up on my PC as "unread".

Good riddance

boliston said:
I had a Blackberry for about a year and the email drove me to distraction it was so annoying.

As far as I remember it was one way sync only so I would read an email on the phone yet that same email would show up on my PC as "unread".

Good riddance

This seems to be sorted now, if I read or delete an email on my BB it also updates the account itself, not just the phone.

boliston said:

Good riddance

Depends if you are reading a POP or IMAP mailbox. IMAP will sync read status etc on all devices, POP will not.

Depends if you are reading a POP or IMAP mailbox. IMAP will sync read status etc on all devices, POP will not.

As far as I remember the email client used Blackberry's own useless email system. I don't think I even had the option of using a normal IMAP/exchange client like any normal smartphone.

Good read that actually, might stay away for now, I'm already playing with an unfinished OS in the Playbook OS...
I'd ignore any Guardian article on anything phone related. Their reviews are terrible. They have a slight Apple bias to their site but even then they don't seem to understand iOS. It doesn't appear to be one person either, almost all their "reviews" are riddled with mistakes whether it be Windows Phone, Android or iOS phones...

The actual review of the 800 by them would have been funny if it wasn't so tragically bad (and showing a distinct lack of knowledge of the phone market in general and WP as an OS, by that I mean not just small inaccuracies but real fundamental issues and I'd go so far as say downright lies [so big were some of the errors in their article])...

I'm just reading through the linked one to see if it's as bad.:LOL:

Last edited:
Good read that actually, might stay away for now, I'm already playing with an unfinished OS in the Playbook OS...

Thanks for the heads up on the Lumina

I was interested with a Win Mo phone and thought it looked great. It still sucks then, apparently the Sat Nav that Nokia has brought to Windows Phone will only be on the nokia phones and I believe doesn't give voice navigation, only pictorial turn by turn navigation.

Sticking with Android for now

The standard WP bing maps navigation doesn't do voice navigation, just pictorial. Nokia Drive (Nokias sat nab app) does voice navigation and all the usual sat nav bits.:)

EDIT: Right as for that article it's not too bad (compared to the Charles Authur review) yet in reality it's just a personal opinion piece. The guy doesn't "trust" bing and hates IE (somehow that deserves about a third of the actual article, even though IE on the phone is different to IE on the computer, without going into the debate about the quality of IE9 compared to the rest of the current browsers...). The guy doesn't know how to use the zune player (for those that read the article it doesn't take several taps and swipes to get play random music, you press the zune app and then touch the note symbol at the bottom, two presses*). Battery life is about the same as all other smartphones on the market, however most people get about 2 days out of it. He does have a point about the volume though, I'm thinking that may be related to the stupid EU directive, the single volume is a little annoying as well.

So er... yeah... read an actual reasonably unbias review instead rather than the "review" or a blog post from the Guardian before you make your mind up. :p

*Ahh... I see where he goes with that, instead of using the shortcut he goes into the lists of songs and finds the shuffle all button there instead.. Guess you can do it the long way as well... And those little arrows he talks about, well in fact they are large triangles, looking exactly like the standard play symbol yo find on almost every single item of audio/video equipment... He's another Guardian writer I have to question how he gets through the day...!

Last edited:
Tried to send a picture from my HTC Desire to a friends Iphone 4 yesterday via bluetooth. Came up with a security message saying the target device's security prohibited the connection. Is this apple being over sensitive to security issues?

touchscreens are everwhere because blackberry own the patent to the physical keyboard on the phone and others dont want to pay them....

irrelevant of space if a touch keyboard was better youd use them on a pc...theyre not.

not looking at percentages or numbers sold...looking at subscribers... how many active subscribers... aug 2010 was 41 million aug 2011 was 70+ million...fact. not a dying platform...yes others have more rapid growth, but reality is the platform isnt 'dying' as some would have you believe...nokia however is a different story

Subscribers give a false impression, especially so with BB. What BB is very good at is Enterprise integration, the security of the platform.

However unless you have your own BES Server (for which you also need Microsoft Exchange as a mail server) the email system is absolutely ancient. I mean 2 way sync over BIS is not even support, what a bunch of idiots. That may have worked years ago when people only had a single device, but these days of multiple computer/tablets/phone/others 2-way imap sync is an elementary function.

Nah to me they've lost the plot, but still have a strong hold in the Enterprise market for a little while.

Tried to send a picture from my HTC Desire to a friends Iphone 4 yesterday via bluetooth. Came up with a security message saying the target device's security prohibited the connection. Is this apple being over sensitive to security issues?

No, considering it is ultimately a device that you need I think their approach (which WinMo has followed) is the better. Just take a look at the regular reports of malware on the Android Market...but that isn't the point

The bluetooth standard gets extended functionality by implementing certain profiles. In order to send a picture via bluetooth you would need the OBEX profile (Object Exchange). Apple on purpose has not implemented this as in order to stay in line with the standard you cannot limit it to what type of objects you'd send. For example why not send some music? The profile is dumb and doesn't know the difference. So if apple implemented that it would get into trouble with the labels providing all that music, and now even more so with iTunes Match which has gone life where you can have ALL your music available in the cloud and thus if the OBEX profile was implemented all those years ago (see how they plan their roadmap ahead...) this would not have happened nor get agreement from the copyright owners.

It is the same reason why some cheap satnavs or in car audio system who have been lazy with their bluetooth implementation and rely on OBEX don't work with the iPhone. The proper implementation is the Phone Book Access Profile or PBAP, any product that follows that security standard where you can only exchange phone book contact cards and nothing else works just fine.

Hope that helps.

I moved away from Blackberry handset in November (9780 Bold) and am now using the new Nokia..I have to admit that I am actually really impressed with it, great screen and since they released the last patch to deal with the power issues it's actually very usable!

Misses has an iPhone 4S, again it's a very nice phone too, she moved from an android device (HTC Legend), like it but again the battery struggles to last a full day but I guess all new smartphones struggle in this department.

Al

Back