Anyone on here interested in 3D printing?

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently "dipped my toes" into the 3D printing world and even designed and used items I have printed as an aid to photography. Has anyone else followed this creative path, I have an Ender 3 Neo which I admit for the month after purchase had me tearing my hair out, but it has become more stable and hopefully continues to be!

Last edited:
Weetabix used to give away 3D viewers and the card images in the early 1960s, for box top exchanges i think

Weetabix used to give away 3D viewers and the card images in the early 1960s, for box top exchanges i think
Stereoscope/Stereoscopic viewer.

Last edited:
It's an area I've been following in other places for some time and, apart from not having the room, the technology is still at the enthusiast level and just doesn't seem ready for the consumer market

Yea currently running 4 printers, thought currently my focus is on some other projects. Useful tools and a challenging hobby if you're into the design and tuning.

My son arranged to have a friend 3D print a 4x5 film holder for my birthday. I still need to get proper pins to old the top on (or just glue it) but it's a terrific means of engineering a solution. The file was available online which is a terrific idea.

20230623_224939.jpg

I recently visited my nephew (who I haven't seen for a few years) and he showed me a whole army of Warhammer characters he has 3D printed. I was really impressed with the quality of the characters, especially the amount of detail that is possible. His only complaint was that sometimes the printer would hiccough and miss out part of the print. Sorry, I didn't think to take any pictures :(

3d printing, has developed rapidly, over the last few years. Much more, "user friendly" now, with the likes of auto bed levelling, filament runout detection, etc.
I have a several 3d printers, quite old now, as well as an SLA printer not even out of the box yet (waiting until I finish building the garden room / workshop).

If you're prepared, to invest some time to learn, it's a great hobby and can be used to create solutions not easily found elsewhere.

If you have the finances, the Bambu Labs P1P, is superb -

but there are lots of more budget friendly options.

3d printing, has developed rapidly, over the last few years. Much more, "user friendly" now, with the likes of auto bed levelling, filament runout detection, etc.
I have a several 3d printers, quite old now, as well as an SLA printer not even out of the box yet (waiting until I finish building the garden room / workshop).

If you're prepared, to invest some time to learn, it's a great hobby and can be used to create solutions not easily found elsewhere.

but there are lots of more budget friendly options.
That's a lot cheaper than I expected.

It's even better now they have dropped the price further, for someone who wants something that just works it's the best option. But I would never have learnt about heat breaks, Bowden tubes, nozzles and extrusion if I have taken that route. Might have had more hair left though!

I have printed aids for photography with these mount board stands designed in TinkerCad, probably cost around £1 each for the material and power consumption (printer costs roughly 5p per hour in use). I have also printed fence post covers and fixed a loose tool seat with a custom bracket.

IMG_4405.jpeg

For anyone who has a printer with CR touch for automatic bed levelling I have created a free app that shows the measurements in a colour matrix, it's available on Sourceforge at:

It is something I would like to dabble in, as used to have access to one at an old job, but realistically lack the time and space at home.

I recently bought a 'printed' gadget from the Evil Bay for one of my old film cameras and TBH I was expecting it to be rubbish (having tried a couple of items a few years ago).

I was very impressed - it was really well made and does the job nicely. A bonus is that it also saved me a lot of money compared with an original gadget. :D

I work in the classic car industry and I use it for prototyping parts which are no longer available. Proove the concept with cheap plastic, before commissioning the production versions out of something significantly more expensive.

Some bits and pieces are also made from it for selling. The type of 3D printing with is made up of layers of plastic, can be comparatively weak in tension and in rotation, but relatively strong in compression.

The 3D Scanner helps capture some complex shapes which can be difficult to create geometrically.

We use Asiga Max printers at work. But the cost of resin and all the other bits are very expensive. I guess there`s a big difference between work, and home ones though.

I`d kinds like to have a home one, but think it might be a one hit wonder with me ;)

Back