Anyone own a G10

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I find myself using my compact more and more these days and whilst I would love to buy an M3 as I love the idea of a Rangefinder sized camera-- its not going to happen.So how good is the G10 ? I know its not a DSLR---but then I have a couple of those.What do you like about yours and what do you dislike ? If you lost yours---would you get another ? I have read the reviews but I am interested in the real life experience.
Any responses very much appreciated.
Pete.

It's rather good, actually. I prefer the way it handles compared to the G9 and as long as you stick below 400 ISO the image quality is excellent.

I wouldn't have one in lieu of a dslr, but as a second camera or one to keep in the car it's a perfect, if rather expensive option.

Thanks Flash----I liked ---"The its rather good actually" bit.
Pete.

Well, it is :LOL: It's still a compact camera when all is said and done though, but the better ergonomics and the wider lens make it more user-friendly than the G9.

I am a canon dslr user through and through but I would go for one of the Panasonic prosumer range over the Canon, the TZ6 or 7 maybe. Thought I would stir the pot for you ;)

Thanks guys. I already have a TZ4 and want something more flexible than the LX3.
Pete.

You seem to be a man of many cameras.... I have a G9 and think its wonderful and I get far more use out of it that I do my 40D.

I realise what peops say about using it over 400iso, but I tend to dissagree. Sure there is noise, but I use mine quite extensivly at 1600 and even 3200 (set using the SCN setting) and for what it is its completely amazing. If you shoot in RAW and use the extra two stops you can get in processing, you can almost take pics in the dark.

Also, its fully compatible with the top of the range Speedlites and can give shots of incredible quality.

The G9 is an amazing little camera and I'm sure the G10 is every bit as good (although the lens is a tiny bit slower). I wouldn't be wiothout it. Get one now.

Thanks Badger.I have been tempted by the G7/9 in the past but felt that they werent quite wide enough.Your comments re quality are just what I was hoping to hear and yes the speedlite option is an incentive.One of my worries though is the MP count on such a small sensor in the G10 which is why I was asking for hands on experience.My relatively recent adoption of a compact has been a liberating experience and one that I wish to pursue and extend.I am hoping that the G10 will tick a lot of boxes for me.If not I may just bite the bullet sell the wife and kids and get that M3.In the mean time though I think the wife deserves a reprieve.
Pete.

g10.

It sits in the glove compartment usually, so I can use it when I'm out and about and haven't got my SLR kit with me. I was certainly very pleased to have it with me on a non-photographic trip recently.

It's potentially an extremely complex camera, and it doesn't come with a paper manual. It has any number of modes etc. Unless you're happy to sit in front of the computer going backwards and forwards through the pdf , the chances are you'll never work out what they do.

I coughed up for a paper manual and even then in my opinion the g10 has too much technology inside it for its own good. I guess you can just ignore most of it ***'.

As for quality, its certainly noisier than any DSLR I've used, even at low ISO's. The noise is visible at 1:1 , but I've yet to discover how it will show up at normal repro sizes.

It would serve you well if you wanted to take (reasonably) serious pics without looking like a serious photographer. After all, its just a compact, isn't it?

If you want to use filters with it, you need to buy an adaptor, either the Canon one, or a metal one by a US company called Lensmate, which is apparently better.

If you're used to an SLR, you will find the motordrive slow in operation.

I haven't used it a lot yet, but those are my impressions so far.

I use the G10 as an underwater camera. I had some fantastic results on it. I have been carrying round in my handbag recently but haven't used it for much "on the surface" stuff.

g10.

It sits in the glove compartment usually, so I can use it when I'm out and about and haven't got my SLR kit with me. I was certainly very pleased to have it with me on a non-photographic trip recently.

It's potentially an extremely complex camera, and it doesn't come with a paper manual. It has any number of modes etc. Unless you're happy to sit in front of the computer going backwards and forwards through the pdf , the chances are you'll never work out what they do.

I coughed up for a paper manual and even then in my opinion the g10 has too much technology inside it for its own good. I guess you can just ignore most of it ***'.

As for quality, its certainly noisier than any DSLR I've used, even at low ISO's. The noise is visible at 1:1 , but I've yet to discover how it will show up at normal repro sizes.

It would serve you well if you wanted to take (reasonably) serious pics without looking like a serious photographer. After all, its just a compact, isn't it?

If you want to use filters with it, you need to buy an adaptor, either the Canon one, or a metal one by a US company called Lensmate, which is apparently better.

If you're used to an SLR, you will find the motordrive slow in operation.

I haven't used it a lot yet, but those are my impressions so far.

Thanks Jerry---some interesting comments.

Back