Anyone tried the D90?

In what sense? I just got one, but its my first DSLR so I don't have anything to compare it to. It has lots of features and does all the things that I would hope it to do and more that I probably won't need. From what I've read it seems to be similar to the D80 but with Live view (something I always wanted on a DSLR although the fosussing is slow) and that movie mode. Not sure if I'll use that much. Oh and it has a auto sensor cleaner which I like the idea of. Feels good in the hands too.

I'm happy with it. It takes pictures, it's not too diffcult to understand and has all the override facilities that I'll ever want.

Depends. If you look at the reviews on the web (and there are some full reviews out there) there is increasing noise at higher ISOs. It's just one of those things you have to put up with. I got fed up of reviewing the highly in depth crops and resolution charts, because these reviews crop so much that you're hardly ever going to look at pictures at the magnification used in the crops. It seemed to me to always be a compromise between resolution and contrast and overall, I thought the Nikon had the best balance of all the important features.

Judge for yourself -

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d90-review/

To be honest, I'm enjoying getting back into SLR photography more than anything. The camera model wouldn't matter so much and, if I'd wanted more equipment then I could have gone for a D80 twin lens deal. I'd looked at lots of reviews and test images but I'd always wanted a Nikon - I had Pentax film cameras and they were good enough for me. I recently went on a dive trip where all the serious underwater photographers were using Nikons and they felt really good to handle. A mate has a Nikon (not sure what model) and they seem affordable(ish).

I really like the D90 and spent the afternoon playing around getting used to it. But as I mention in another thread, it's not about the equipment for me, it's the pleasure and I'm seeing things I never noticed before. I thought from the test photos I saw that it wasn;t overly noisy at high ISO and I've always liked available light stuff. I'm happy with the performance so far.

There are some very confusing aspects about the various autofocus modes - I just need to figure out what they do and how to choose the right one - this is probably just a Nikon thing. Oh, and I need to look at the info in the viewfinder - I use AE mostly but forget from time to time to check the shutter speed that's allocated.

I think it's a brilliant camera. I'm very happy with my choice.

Don't go hanging any monkeys...

Thanks for that Andy ... the decision has now been taken out of my hands as I was given the D90 as a gift at the weekend, complete with the rather nice 18-105 VR kit lens. Had a quick play with it last night... a lot of it is very familiar as I also have the D80 ... and I like what I see. Looking forward to giving it a real test at some boxing and basketball this week.

HTML:
Don't go hanging any monkeys...
LOL ... I'm not a native so the monkeys are safe!

Back