Anyone tried the GoPro4 night and timelapse mode?

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
I see that the GoPro 4 has night photography and timelapse modes and gets good reviews. I wondered whether it would be a useful second camera for auroras or lightning. Has anyone here tried it?

I've also been looking at the GoPro 4. Would be interested also to here peoples opinions of how it handles low light.

I decided to buy one from Tesco using my Tesco vouchers and ended up paying £140. I've been out a couple of evenings looking for aurora but haven't sat down with the manual to find out all the various modes so I haven't tried it out yet.

I've also decided to go for a case with battery port access. It won't be waterproof but will keep any sudden shower of rain off and allow me to record for more than the 55 minutes the internal battery allows using one of the battery packs for charging a phone. I seem to recall that the GoPro4 gets warm in use so it might stop the lens misting up at night.

So, nothing to report yet but I think it could be great to leave it recording the night sky at one location while going elsewhere with another camera.

Congrats on the purchase. Would definitely be interested in hearing your opinions on it once you have tried it out. Hopefully the aurora shows itself soon!

I spotted this startrail on flickr previously and was amazed to find it had been shot on a GoPro. It clearly shows potential but I'd be nervous about using a GoPro for any night images that weren't incidental to my main shots from a big camera.

I spotted this startrail on flickr previously and was amazed to find it had been shot on a GoPro. It clearly shows potential but I'd be nervous about using a GoPro for any night images that weren't incidental to my main shots from a big camera.
I looked at the flickr and I'd be quite happy with that result. :) I think a GoPro is ideal as a second camera for night working. It will sit happily on a fairly modest tripod and allow me to go off elsewhere with the main camera to get other views.

The sky hasn't cleared up enough to get a few practise startrails. The case I ordered still hasn't arrived, it must be coming from China, foolishly I never checked when I placed the order. High time Amazon made it clear where the delivery is from. Any company on Amazon with UK in the name seems to be from China.

Back