Anyone use a hand strap on their camera?

Name
And
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Was wondering if anyone used a hand strap on their camera - like one below, if so are they worth while, easy to get along with, etc

Hand_strap.jpg

Thanks for your help & advice (y)

I had the proper Canon hand strap for my 30D. It required a battery grip as well in order to attach it. I didn't like the way it restricted my freedom to operate the main dial and I thought it a bit farcical that to benefit from the portrait grip the hand strap ceased to be relevant. I found it far quicker simply to rotate my arms and leave my hand gripping the "landscape" grip.

Nowadays I do not use a grip or hand strap on any of my four bodies, even with lenses such as the 70-200/2.8 IS or 100-400. Don't need them. Don't want them.

I had the proper Canon hand strap for my 30D. It required a battery grip as well in order to attach it. I didn't like the way it restricted my freedom to operate the main dial and I thought it a bit farcical that to benefit from the portrait grip the hand strap ceased to be relevant. I found it far quicker simply to rotate my arms and leave my hand gripping the "landscape" grip.

Nowadays I do not use a hand strap .

Snap, in fact I think tdodd must have a telepathic link to me as this was identical to what I was going to say.

I Used to use one on my 400D and didnt ming it at all, i have got a 50D now and just ordered a grip. I like the canon E1 handstrap and once the grip comes will re-evaluate the need for it. However i still wrap the neck strap round my wrist now as not a big fan on carrying bodies on my shoulder. However if i need to i will have the best of both worlds.

i tried one and didnt like it, quite restrictive hand movement when required etc.

i have the optech wrist strap now and love it.

What's the optech wrist strap like, is it this one? http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-optech-gotcha-wrist-strap.htm

looks rather strenuous on the wrist, is it?

OP, good question! been wondering if i ought to get one since I quite dislike using a neck strap as I find it quite obstructionist, if that’s the right word for it :thinking:

I love my E1. I don't like to use a neckstrap because the camera just bangs into me all the time. I pop it back into my bag when I'm not shooting.

You need to have it slightly loose though, but it still feels very secure. Even though I have a grip, I still find it easier to use the regular controls rather than the vertical ones.

I would worry about hand holding the camera without the security of either a neckstrap or handgrip.

Graham

to add as well it makes it quite easy to hold the camera like a handle, ofcourse you dont want to do that in dodgy areas or with big lenses!

I used both an E1 and an Optec kneck strap on my old 1D. Great combination and I really liked the E1, which I found very comfortable and easy to use. Just a shame that my 5D has no bottom mount point to affix an E1 to.

I use the one illustrated in the original post and I get on with it fine either with my battery grip attached or just with my 50D. I don't find it restrictive in general use except with the grip as I cannot use the grip controls when using the hand strap. I guess using hand straps comes down to personal choice, some will like them some won't:)

My preference is to use a neckstrap so that the camera can be dangled over my shoulder / neck or then the strap can be wrapped around my wrist to make it much shorter and it becomes a quasi wrist strap - more versatile (albeit probably less comfortable).

Some very mixed reviews, thank you all very much (y)

Think I will try to track one down to "try" one out first. (y)

If I'm correct, the Canon one needs the grip attached, whereas these fix to the tripod mount - not sure if you can use these with a grip. :shrug:

if you use a tripod alot, they will become a pain in the back side, thats why i went for the E1, however you do need the grip but it retain the use of the tripod mount.

if you use a tripod alot, they will become a pain in the back side, thats why i went for the E1, however you do need the grip but it retain the use of the tripod mount.

Great thanks, something to think about (y)

I use canon e-1 straps on all of my cameras, I like the ability to walk with camera in my hands as opposed to around my shoulders, the hand straps allow me to do hold them without constantly gripping at the camera/grip.

I also do have op-tech pro loop straps attached to my cameras but only on one side, this allows me to use the e-1 grip and not have to worry about the strap getting in my way as it hangs to one side.

IMG_9305.jpg

I've got Ebay clones of that Canon hand strap on my Nikons, they have a loop on the other end of the attachment for a neck strap, so you can carry it either way. Which is nice.

Back