Anyone use a Widescreen monitor?

S

stepheno

I'm thingking of going for an Acer 19" widescreen TFT. Are there any disadvantages or advantages. TIA.

regards

I use the Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen monitor, IMHO is fantastic. Its great for using in photoshop, great 'single' sized images or two good sized photos on screen at once if needed. Image quality and colour resolution over DVI is excellent, only tip I would give is whichever one you buy always use at the panels native resolution to ensure the best quality image on screen.

If space and your budget permits buy the biggest you can at the time.

Good point about this one is the built in card readers (C Flash inc) and extra USB2.0 points.

dell.jpg

Grateful for that Mr THX. That's really what I was wondering...about using photoshop. Thanks again.

regards

I use a 20" widescreen and for stuff like photoshop its a life saver, you can have open toolbars, option boxes etc and still work on a large size, clear image without any of the toolbars overlapping. Its also great for panoramics :)

I've got the Dell 2005FPW. Like THX says, stick to the native resolution, just make sure that your graphics card is capable of supporting it. The 2005FPW runs at 1680 x 1050.

What Mr THX said.

If you buy a 17" Widescreen monitor, when you put it on your desk it isn't going to look any bigger than a 4:3 14" one. You tend to look at the screen height rather than the overall display size.

Appreciate your recommendations - but my budget will only stretch to a 19". The one I 'm looking at is here if anyone would give an opinion. I intend collecting this ava as CCL are near me.

regards

That's a good price - have you seen the warning about the display mode though? Make sure you can support 1440x900 first!

Mr THX said:
I use the Dell 2405FPW 24" widescreen monitor, IMHO is fantastic.

CRIPES!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

I just googled that monitor and checked out the prices..:sadcry:

I totally agree with you about the spec on that TFT but cannot justify the high price tag..:(

have you seen the new dell 30 inch :D

1440*900 imo is not as good as 1280*1024 which you'll get on ordinary 17 inch or 19 inch panels. i've used it and i miss the extra height more than i thought. the bigger widescreens are great, but like youve seen, they're expensive. personally i'd by a 4:3 panel at that price.

just my 2p

GfK said:
That's a good price - have you seen the warning about the display mode though? Make sure you can support 1440x900 first!
Yes - I noticed that. I have an nVidia GeForce 5200 so I should be OK. Thanks for the heads up.

regards

GfK said:

Can you not get around this by using software such as Powerstrip ?......have this on my HTPC that allows me to make custom pixel ratios ......used mainly for Plasma & PJ's.

I don'y know the answer to that DJ - but I've bought the Acer 19". Be setting it up shortly.

regards

I would also like the Dell 24" widescreen, but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment. I've just had to shell out for a new power supply and 2GB of duel ram. So I was thinking of this one http://partnernet.maxdata.co.uk/download/DB_102035W_112005_ENG.pdf

Anyone have one of these, and does anyone know if the Dell 20"or 24" are RGB or are they like most others and only have sRGB.

I have one of those ASH as does Matt. I can't comment for Matt but I am totally happy with mine.

Steve said:
I have one of those ASH as does Matt. I can't comment for Matt but I am totally happy with mine.

Hi Steve, I was looking at one in my local pc store a few days ago, and was very impressed with the depth of colour compared to the others on displays. They were asking £369 for it, I think the cheapest I've found it on the web was £329.

Steve said:

Well thats as good a recommendation as I need. Should be completing on the house in next few weeks & will then have some spare cash....one of these is on the list. Can I ask where you sourced yours from Steve please ?

I bought mine by mail order in Germany so that will be no use to you guys. There have been some reports of light bleed on this model, I had the option to have mine checked for both light bleed and dead pixels before it was dispatched which I paid a very small amount extra for. I had another older TFT that had died and TBH I couldn't be bothered with any hassel at all so opted for that option.

Remember though that all Belinea monitors come with a 3 year at home swap out guarantee, so if you do get one that you are not completely happy with you can call them direct and have it replaced (next working day I believe) :)

I most certainly don't want to open a can of worms here but I have yet to see a TFT that comes anywhere close to a decent CRT for quality regarding picture editing etc..:getmecoat

I have had 2 very expensive TFTs (my daughter still uses the 19") and neither gets near the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 455 that I am using now..:whistle2:

TFT = Space saving but lacks picture quality and expensive.

CRT = Big and bulky but awesome picture quality and still very affordable.

Comments please..:)

All I can say Buster is ..........if you get chance check out a decent TFT being used at native resolution - fed by DVI (which most graphic's card now can output) the 24" one I use is set up at 1920X1200 enough pixels on a screen for anyone TBH and colour resolution is second to none IMHO. I have to say that light bleeding from the edge is not an issue with these monitors - I know full well of the problem because I have a Samsung 17" Widescreen panel in the bedroom which whist it is a cracking picture does show signs of light bleeed on really dark passages.

From what I have gleaned I think you're right BB. But where I'm sat now, space is at a premium. Maybe topnotch shoppers would notice the difference but for the level I'm at and the space I have the TFT is doing just fine.

regards

Its a known fact in the Home Cinema world that CRT TVs give better PQ than Plasmas & LCDs.....I have no reason to think it is any different for PCs, other than steps described by THX would improve LCD picture significantly.

DJW said:
Its a known fact in the Home Cinema world that CRT TVs give better PQ than Plasmas & LCDs.....I have no reason to think it is any different for PCs, other than steps described by THX would improve LCD picture significantly.

I agree entirely Dave. I knew I opened a can of worms with my earlier post but everyone has an opinion of their own..;)

You can only read the reviews and test for yourself..

I have done both.:smilenod:

The 'black' screen on my Sony Vaio comes as close as I've seen to a CRT monitor - pity the PC itself is so poor (that's the fault of the spec, not the hardware itself). If I were to buy another notebook it'd be a smaller Vaio but with better spec.

I realise that most of the above is irrelevent to those of you who work at home, but almost all my editing is done in the field. I need a good screen on a fast PC that's small and light enough to shove in the bag with the cameras.

busterboy said:
CRIPES!!!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

I just googled that monitor and checked out the prices..:sadcry:

I totally agree with you about the spec on that TFT but cannot justify the high price tag..:(

It ain't that bad, the 2405. You can pick it up from Ebay around £600. Dell is doing a buy 1 get second half price so it comes to about £1200+. So find someone to split the order with. ;)

I have one of these as well, brought it back from the US where everything is cheaper. :D It's fantastic, though my particular monitor seem to have a bit of a light bleeding near the top middle. Mostly unnoticeable unless watching a DVD with a very dark scene. The WS is fantastic for watching movies! ;)

The mode desktop estate the better is my motto. ;)

Arkady said:
The 'black' screen on my Sony Vaio comes as close as I've seen to a CRT monitor - pity the PC itself is so poor (that's the fault of the spec, not the hardware itself). If I were to buy another notebook it'd be a smaller Vaio but with better spec.

I realise that most of the above is irrelevent to those of you who work at home, but almost all my editing is done in the field. I need a good screen on a fast PC that's small and light enough to shove in the bag with the cameras.
I have a Sony S2XP with the Onyx black screen (although mine is a couple of years old now and it's been replaced with the S5XP) - 13.3" widescreen 1280x800 / with a top spec and weighs less than 2Kg so it could fit your bill nicely.

fingerz said:
I've got two of those Belinea 20" widescreens (same as Steve and Matt) and I'm pretty happy with them.
i've been thinking of one of these, do you get any of this dreaded backlight bleed on it?

they seem very cheap for what they are. :)

Back