Anyone use large format any more ???

Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of making one to save money.

The prices they go for seem to be pretty high.

Is it collectors buying them ? or are they getting bought and used ?

I use a 5x4 for personal projects and some commercial work.
There are some bargains to be had if you are prepared to look. You can make your own and I think Bulldog supply the kits, although they don't seem to have much movement.
Most of the ones for sale are used for taking pictures, although like most things there is a collectors market for the rarer lenses and cameras.

I'm sorely tempted at the moment. Had my mouse hovered over the BIN button on an MPP last week. Seeking out a bargain at the moment so if anyone sees anything, hit me up!

I am thinking of making one to save money.

The prices they go for seem to be pretty high.

Is it collectors buying them ? or are they getting bought and used ?

I'm surprised you think the prices are high, you obviously weren't looking at the prices before digital, trust me they're dirt cheap now :)

I have a couple of quarter plate beasties - I have the film too but am not having any luck getting time to play with them! I do have a Rollei 120 6x9 back for one though so I guess I *could* get the tripod out one day!

I use one its a Sinar F1 with 150 Symmar, 75 wide etc-I don't use it as much as I should due to other commitments and the lack of time.
:(

So that was enough of a kick up the backside... loaded up the 120 cassette, tested the camera shutter, tripod dug out, Weston in the bag, big dog raring to go - wish me luck!

I use a Deardorff 5x4 special, but want to go bigger. The prices have come down a lot compared to a few years ago, which is catching out some people trying to sell now, but a quality camera still isn't exactly cheap.

My full outfit (camera, 3 lenses, spot meter) must have cost me about £2500, maybe a little more, but it is an amzing outfit. If I didn't want to go larger I would expect that kit to be all the LF camera I ever need (excluding breakages or massive GAS)

Have a look at the Chamonix and Shen Hao cameras. Monorails can be had for very little if you can handle one.

While current lenses can be expensive there are plenty of good quality lenses to be had for relatively modest prices, especially if you don't need the latest multi-coating or huge amounts of coverage ...and you don't need loads of lenses to get going, one or two would likely be enough.

Don't forget to budget for accessories: dark slides, etc.

Back